Home

JA Exploit/Bug (Danger Class) - Linux Compilation

Deathspike

Okay then, 2 questions for all of you around here.

First of all - lets just say i'm about to make a step from the JKO modding towards the somewhat larger JKA community, now i got a slight problem. I heard some things about unhitable models that miss parts or something (annoying for gun mods - lol) and things that make the text messages look weird. Either way, i only know the exploits from JKO that also work in JKA, so thats taken care of. Which are unique for JKA? Please PM/reply the exploit and/or fix for it, thanks. (JKO: Forcebug, Namebug, q3infoboom, q3fill, flood bugs, voice bugs).

Secondly - i'm currently working on a windows box and so i am developing the DLL file. My server obviously uses Linux (like 90% of the rest) so how would i go about compiling final versions as linux file? Note that i use the universal SDK - i just need to know which compilers to use and which linux version to get. (prefered those of the boot-cd kind that work).

Thanks in advance.

Ubuntu 6.10 or Kubuntu 6.10 depending on whether you wish to use Gnome or KDE. Ubuntu is Gnome and Kubuntu is Ubuntu but with KDE instead of Gnome.

And you can get "Live CD/DVD" versions meaning can run off the disc if you wish. Bout all i can tell ya as I haven't ever ran a linux build yet. :nervou

Just make sure you get "Edgy Eft" and the desktop/live version so that it does not install on your comp and fubar your partitions. :) You will no doubt be using gcc for a compiler and only compiling the server build because jka does not support linux natively for playing the game as a client.

We have a thread on known bugs here. In addition, OJP has most and probably more of the known bugs fixed in its source code.

As for the "unhittable" models bug, I don't think it actually exists. People don't understand that the kyle model is the model used for hit detection on the server no matter which model the client is actually using. As such, shooting a Jawa in the robes is obviously not going to score a hit. :)

First of all - lets just say i'm about to make a step from the JKO modding towards the somewhat larger JKA community, now i got a slight problem. I heard some things about unhitable models that miss parts or something (annoying for gun mods - lol) and things that make the text messages look weird. Either way, i only know the exploits from JKO that also work in JKA, so thats taken care of. Which are unique for JKA? Please PM/reply the exploit and/or fix for it, thanks. (JKO: Forcebug, Namebug, q3infoboom, q3fill, flood bugs, voice bugs).

I have no intention whatsoever to base my work on OJP. Let me get that clear; no offense to the project, its a nice idea but i'd rather start with things that have been given by the game programmers. There should be some siege models or something (as i heard) that visually appear without some body parts. Offcourse - for gunning - this would be extremely annoying.

Please take note that i'm not working on a mod of the use-the-saber class; its purely guns and nothing else. For that reason all those saber fixes are totally meaningless too. If anyone has the only potentional dangerous bugs; please write them in here. At razor, i already read trough that topic but much usefull information did not come from it. Again this mod isnt desiged around sabers, siege or client plugins whatsoever (yet), so those things will be meaningless. Hit me with the unique JKA dangerous exploits xD

Thanks for the information 'bout Linux, i'll give it a shot when i get there. Appreciate it :)

There should be some siege models or something (as i heard) that visually appear without some body parts. Offcourse - for gunning - this would be extremely annoying.

Well, I'm sure there's a couple of models that have broken/missing textures for some of their body parts. However, it's purely visual since hit detection doesn't care what the clients are seeing. :)

Again this mod isnt desiged around sabers, siege or client plugins whatsoever (yet), so those things will be meaningless. Hit me with the unique JKA dangerous exploits xD

Frankly, there's a lot of exploits that we've discovered over the years. And I don't think we've always been complete in documenting it all on the forums. If we've fixed it, it's either on the forums or listed as a BugFix in the OJP documentation.

However, it's purely visual since hit detection doesn't care what the clients are seeing. :)

Did you ever concider you are using a gun and not a saber? I dont know about you, but i really can't give someone a headshot when i see no head... Sure any game can have lots of exploits; but most of your so called 'exploits' are small things which wouldnt even be noticed. Im talking about things that crash the server, visually mess up your game completely (like say messages over all the screen), things such as that.

If what you are referring to is absolute invisibility then I'm not really sure but if it is a checkerboard box then it is the local client that has the problem, and not exactly an exploit but missing their custom skin. Only way to fix that is to make it use a default head/torso/legs of that model or use kyle if the local client cannot detect it.

Thanks for your input so far guys - just one final question. How would i go about making someones hitbox larger? For example when using the Disruptor its near impossible to hit your target when they are moving at enormous speeds, so it should accept the blast as a hit even on a bit larger distance away. How can i best accomplish this?

I wouldn't advise it, the player's hitbox is used for their movement as well as for impacts. Increasing the size of the box would make the player physically larger for movement. IE, they wouldn't fit thru certain doorways, not be able to stand as close to objects, etc.

Also, if ghoul2 weapon hit detection is being used, which is on by default, it wouldn't make a difference anyway, because you gotta physically hit the player model to register as a hit.

I suppose you could add some level of "autoaim" to help players in such situations...

Ah i guess that was the main problem. Ghoul detection; its horrible - its bad. Forcing the code not to use it is a big improvement. This helped me out in 'making the hitboxes larger' - as the original ghoul is really a disaster. I can imagine why so many people complained about saber tracing, lol. Either way - its solved and you can actually hit an enemy now. Either way - you said its not wise to change the hitbox but i specifically asked how to do it. I still wish to know that answer if you could help me out with it.

I'll give you the direct answer when I get back to my computer tonight Deathspike.

BTW - I don't think the universal SDK is available anymore. I tried downloading it a while back ago, and I think it was removed. I can make a universal/fixed SDK later in the month, if anyone wants me to.

Archived