Home

Gargantuan (especially in raid fleets)

YertyL

OK, does anybody else have a feeling that old Garn is just too hard to counter?

I mean, this unit has:

-Heavy and rapidly regenerating shields

-better-than-average speed and manouverability

-the heaviest weaponry of all units in the game (arguably)

-the ability to waltz over anything (only exception being the AT-AT AFAIK)

-a commander bonus and transport capabilities

Now while the ZC has some weapons that can bypass shields and thus eventually destroy the Gargantuan (e.g. Canderous tanks, mobile rocket launcher, MDUs), the Empire has about 1 unit that is able to harm it, the DT3, and that is a tech lvl 5 unit that can only be produced at one planet at a time - in short, a very rare one.

Every Rebel player with some micromanaging capabilities will IMO have no problem keeping the G.'s shielding constantly up, as even numerous AT-AT salvos won't depleet the Gargantuan's shields before it has time to retreat.

I'd suggest making the G. unable to participate in raids, at least limiting the planets at which an Imp player can be attacked by the unit.

I'd also suggest somewhat decreasing the G.'s shielding and/or shield regeneration, so that at least concentrated fire has a chance to damage it before it can retreat again, and perhaps slightly lowering its speed to decrease the effectiveness of hit-and-run as well as waltzing attacks.

What do you think?

Well, having played the rebels against a friend who was Consortium there are a few ways to counter him, 1 with Canderous tanks, if you take out the Shield Generators he is unable to do his special ability and enables your Laser weapon allys to start inflicting damage. 2 Orbital Bombardment, if you manage to cut off means of escape (pushing him into a corner) an orbital bombardment or maybe even a bombing run could work, you just have to keep him still for a couple seconds.

Well, I agree that the ZC isn't as badly off as the Empire vs. the Gargantuan (see also my first post...). However consider a GC Empire vs. Rebs - when you get attacked, there's no way to use an orbital bombardement, and you can't get DT3s until you reach tech level 5.

And anyways, how balanced is a unit that can only be taken down by orbital bombardements?

Yeah I know, however I would consider turbolasers just like orbital bombardements to be a "super weapon" (that counters about anything) rather than a real counter.

The Gargantuan IMO needs more weaknesses to regular units (and that's neither DT3 (which is at least "special"), nor turbolasers nor bombardements :p)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I say what I said in another thread - You Empire-using cheaters need to get over it. The Rebels would be dangerously (?) underpowered if it weren't for Yoda and Garm. It's just the way it goes, hell they have to balance it for the Rebellion as well. :)

Archived