Home

Should there be a sequel or another EAW, FOC expansion?

ImpElite

Should there be an EAW, FOC expansion or a sequel?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an EAW, FOC expansion or a sequel?

• Yes, I think there should and would like to see another expansion or sequel
    • No, I do not think there should be another expansion or a sequel

I think there's a lot of room for expansion in the Empire at War universe, especially with the turn towards more story-driven elements rather than "sandbox" elements that we saw in Forces of Corruption. Given the ending cinematic of FoC, though, I doubt it will "go prequel..." and that would be less dramatically interesting, anyways.

I think if a sequel was to be made, it should shift its focus mainly on SP and I'm not talking about just a cinematic campaign. Diplomacy a more management should be included to add an extra layer of depth. Switch to a pure Risk-style turn-based system. I never enjoyed the one we have now. Perhaps allow formations to have a bigger impact, but surely with a prequel about the Republic vs. the CIS, ground combat will be much better.

(My opinions, not facts, my opinions.)

I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with a real-time system (and I'd have more fun that way, speaking personally)...but if any strategic depth is added, the galactic timescale would have to be stretched out a bit. If there's more to keep track of, there's got to be more time to react. That would be just as effective as implementing a dated turn-based engine.

I agree, a sequel should have the added features of more diplomatic options and the like. More elements from Rebellion couldn't be bad, because of the excellent RTS components already present in the game that would be suitable for the tactical layer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry, but the Clone Wars were the biggest letdown in cinematic history. They should have just been left to myth, to the references Ben Kenobi makes that made them seem much bigger than they turned out to be. Why? Because there was never any suspense to them at all. Not only did we all know what would happen thanks to the fact that they took place in the prequel era, but there is no room in them for any of the "what if" scenarios that made Empire at War fun. What would have happened if the Separatists had won? The same exact thing. Palpatine would have come to power as Emperor, since, after all, he was running both sides of the war and ended it whenever he felt like.

Aside from that, the prequel era really does not lend itself to the RTS genre. The intrigue (if you can call it that) of that period is more suited to RPG games. A prequel-era RTS would be like saying, "hey, let's have WarCraft be set in the French Revolution!" We all know what happens on a grand scale in the prequel era. What we don't know, where there is room for storytelling, are individual characters' stories.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest DarthMaulUK

Unfortunately, there is nothing else planned for EaW. However, I have been hearing mutterings of a Civilisation based Star Wars game - but when and importantly IF this happens, is anyone's guess.

I for one, who love to see a hard core Star Wars RTS come out, along the lines of Rebellion/Supremacy, which was truely incredible!

DMUK

• 1 month later...

I also support DMUK's idea :)

But that's never going to happen. Rebellion was way too hardcore for the average gamer, which resulted in rather poor reviews. And it's all about the average gamer. These are the people who buy the game in largest quantities, and thus are the target audience. I don't think that LucasArts has the talent and experience to muster a game that could cater to both average and hardcore players.

Archived