Home

What's the one thing people say to you that can get you really pissed off?

Arreat

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have nothing against Santa Claus as long as you don't tell your kids that he actually exists. Because that's a lie. As you might know, the person who Santa Claus was originally based off, Saint Nicholas, was a religious person; he was a Christian who would give gifts in secret. They might have changed that image over the years. A lot. But as Santa is just a character invented to make children happy, I have nothing against that.

That's all well and good, but Santa Clause is entirely different from Saint Nicholas. Santa Clause, to me, is more than just a misspelling of the word Satan. He inspires greed and selfishness. He promotes the same 'gimme gimme gimme' attitude that makes me want to send the kid to the North Pole, just to prove him wrong about Santa.

Just this morning, I was in Church, and the Minister asked at children's time 'Who's coming in two weeks?'. Meaning, of course, the Baby Jesus. None of the kids said Jesus. They were all about the fatass in the suit. These kids are supposedly Christian. Hell, it's not only Christian kids that are over-enthused about Santa. Even non-Christian and Agnostic/Atheist kids are more excited about Santa coming than spending time with their family, which is suppsoed to be the politically correct meaning of the season.

Did I say that right? "The season"?

That's all well and good, but Santa Clause is entirely different from Saint Nicholas. Santa Clause, to me, is more than just a misspelling of the word Satan. He inspires greed and selfishness. He promotes the same 'gimme gimme gimme' attitude that makes me want to send the kid to the North Pole, just to prove him wrong about Santa.
If we take the myths you're referring to literally, I don't think you can complain too much about Santa. After all, he does reward boys and girls who are nice, but not those who are naughty. Bit like God, really.

Surely if Satan decided to don a large white beard and promote consumerism, he'd reward those who were naughty, and not those who were nice?

Besides, if you're saying that Santa should be abolished because he's been USED to promote sinful behaviour, surely we can say the same about God. The Crusades, as an example.

Just this morning, I was in Church, and the Minister asked at children's time 'Who's coming in two weeks?'. Meaning, of course, the Baby Jesus.
But Jesus isn't coming in two weeks.

Or is he? Ergh, if it really is the second coming of Christ, I think I might be in trouble... :joy:

If we take the myths you're referring to literally, I don't think you can complain too much about Santa. After all, he does reward boys and girls who are nice, but not those who are naughty. Bit like God, really.

The point isn't rewarding the good and punishing the bad, though. The point is that, for Christians, the meaning of Christmas is celebrating the gift that God gave us in the form of his son, Jesus Christ. It really is all about giving. Santa, on the other hand, just promotes getting -which leads to greedy behavior, no?

I'm glad I never believed in Santa Clause.

Even non-Christian and Agnostic/Atheist kids are more excited about Santa coming than spending time with their family, which is suppsoed to be the politically correct meaning of the season.

Don't you dare start stereotyping people if yo're personally all that goody-two-shoes you seem to see yourself as. I personally am an atheist and am just waiting for my dad's approval of me leaving the church so I can get rid of all that "Jesus saves" blabbering.

I couldn't care less if Santa comes or not. I personally like the bit most where I try to figure out which of my dad's friends is behind that beard, which I always get right, by the way. I currently have only a couple of gifts that I want, one of them which I won't get until my birthday next august, and that's a motorcycle. The other gift that I want is a golden necklace of the finnish lion, but I'm not probably getting that either. Also, I'm saving money to buy myself Monty Pythonia because it would be too expensive for my cheap family to buy. You see, I couldn't care less if Santa comes or not, because I won't get what I want anyways. I'm sick of Santa too, but that's because Finland has proclaimed that Santa lives here and every store in the whole freaking country seems to be "the official store of Santa Claus". Really, dude, I think you're going a bit too far with your Santa-hating. Christmas is what it is and it will probably always be the same. Your words really don't mean s**t. Enjoy the holiday, for christ sake and behave.

Also, you need to stay off that God-propaganda they're spewing in the churches. "Who's coming in two weeks?" Of course it's Santa! If you would have actually read the Bible, youwould know that the coming of Jesus will man the freakin' destruction of the world!

You wanna know who I'm fed up with? I'm fed up with priests that find just the right words to say that proves they have never really read the Bible. And when you ask them a question they can't answer, they just tell you "It's the God's will" or "God works in mysterious ways." I can tell you where to stuff your mysterious, havoc-causing, world destructor-making God of yours! Up your ass, nose!

Hey, that's another thing that ticks me off, by the way. Someone claiming that God exists without any proof on the matter

The point isn't rewarding the good and punishing the bad, though. The point is that, for Christians, the meaning of Christmas is celebrating the gift that God gave us in the form of his son, Jesus Christ. It really is all about giving. Santa, on the other hand, just promotes getting -which leads to greedy behavior, no?
With all due respect, that is merely what YOU think the "point" is.

To me, the salient point is that both "God" and "Santa" are imaginary beings who are said by their worshippers to reward socially acceptable behaviour, but not socially unacceptable behaviour. Of course in reality they do neither, and since they have BOTH been used to promote immoral behaviour in the past, you cannot logically call for the abolition of one without also calling for the abolition of the other.

But let's be charitable (in the Christmas spirit) for a moment, and address YOUR point:

You state that for christians, christmas is about "giving", because God "gave" us a fabulous gift in the form of teh Jesus. You then state that Santa is about "getting" because kids are obsessed with receiving gifts from him.

Well this doesn't make sense. In both cases, the imaginary metaphysical beings are the givers of gifts, and in both cases we mortals are the recipients of those gifts. If one is about greed for presents... the other is about greed for eternal life and salvation from the heck-fires of Hades.

I personally can't imagine anything more useful as a bribe than the promise of life after death. So if Santa's about "getting", so is God, but on a larger scale.

I rather focus on the minimum of "social" aspects of christmas time that are left than on Santa Doodlepoop and whatnot. It's a totally commercial thing nowadays anyways. I mean Supermarkets are christmas-themed since September 1st! Stores are open 24-7 and half the people are working and so called "christmas offers" all around (read: half the price one month later). Also, literally millions of cristmas trees are "murdered" each year, for what, to go to the dump in the middle of January?

Plus, I can have a good and comfortable time my family every day, and I enjoy it without having it forced down on me. Christmas itself has lost its purpose in modern society.

A common misconception is that if someones an atheist, they're a bad person. Its a shame really.
Not where I live. The number of "religious" people I know is countable with one hand.

The one thing that really gets on my tits is being called a Heathen because I don't believe in God. I am not a Heathen, I am an Atheist. Heathens do believe in gods, just not the same ones that the Christians do. I just wish the "I'm Holier than thou" type of Christians who normally spout that kind of nonsense would learn the difference.

i'm normally a quiet, softspoken person, i just hate it when people point it out....especially when they ask me to speak up cause they can't hear me. i HATE that.

another thing that pisses me off and has caused me to exile myself from social gatherings, is when i go and say something people just talk over top of me and act like i'm not even there or what i'm saying is unimportant, which is how you get the softspoken, quiet me. heh and i hate how when like in a work environment people go 'you are so quiet' and i'm like 'ok whatever' and then later when i'm talking i get bitched at for not working cause i'm talking and people are actually listening. makes me wanna go insane and just start beating the **** out of babies.

-I hate when people mimick me.

-I hate when friends come over to see if I can come out then as soon as I'm out they wanna go inside my house.

-Once in they wanna play on my dad's computer, who by the way is in Iraq.

-I hate when you tell someone somthing then they keep asking the same thing after you already told them no and why.

I also like to think that there's no such thing as an atheist. Only agnostics because I think those who say their atheist don't really know if there's a god or not because they don't think they've seen proof but still don't rule out the fact that there is one because they don't know everything, even the proof. Not sure how to word that but I hope you get my point.

As part of having a Scientific mind I would never consider myself to know everything, in fact, considering the vast amount of knowledge that there is to learn about the world we live in, let alone the rest of the universe, I would say I am ignorant, as is everyone else on the planet. I am quite willing to accept new ideas, but only when they come with proof, and 2000 year old "just so story" is not proof as far as I am concerned.

Also there is a strong difference between believing and knowing. I will never believe in a god. This is because I will only accept gods with evidence and if there is evidence, I can't believe, I know.

I say that makes me an Atheist as I am not undecided.

Interestingly one group of people who don't seem to think they are ignorant are the religious types, a lot of them seem to think that all the knowledge of the universe is contained in a book.

i'm normally a quiet, softspoken person, i just hate it when people point it out....especially when they ask me to speak up cause they can't hear me. i HATE that.

another thing that pisses me off and has caused me to exile myself from social gatherings, is when i go and say something people just talk over top of me and act like i'm not even there or what i'm saying is unimportant, which is how you get the softspoken, quiet me. heh and i hate how when like in a work environment people go 'you are so quiet' and i'm like 'ok whatever' and then later when i'm talking i get bitched at for not working cause i'm talking and people are actually listening. makes me wanna go insane and just start beating the **** out of babies.

People these days Rogue! wow that really must *** you off! I have a similar thing at school. People beside me talking really loudly and then suddenly as soon as the teacher looks towards us they speak to me really quickly and i reply, they stop speaking and i get the blam which is annoying! U might not get me but that's the best i can explain!

Hey, idoit, you can use the

tags too, you know. Or the button below the post that says "quote/reply to this" so it makes the whole post more clearer. Just copying the text without the quotation marks or anything that would note of the quoting just makes it confusing. It's also interesting how you can't spell I in capital letters bt you seem to know how to use the Caps Lock pretty well :p

I'm a quiet person too, but I've never found it annoying if someone speaks over me. althought, that might be because my mom has spoken over me for my whole life and I've gotten used to it. Besides, when someone does speak over me and it's about the same matter, I might learn something new. Keep your ears open rather than mouth moving, eh?

And aye, I will believe when you get proof of a a supreme being somewhere out there that sees, hears and controls everything yet never has shown Himself to modern man except for some individuals that would nowadays just be called loonies when they try and prophecise about seeing God. Believing in aliens is crazy, yet the proof and probability of their existance is much greater than that of an almighty God. So, are most believers hypocrites? I would say that they are, but that's another opinion you can ignore as BS.

Now, back to topic. It pisses me off people call people who believe in aliens loonies even if there is more proof of extraterrestial life than proof of the existence of God. I don't hear governments denying God like they do to E.T.

yeh knight i stuck down the wors but forgot to stick on the quote tag. Someone said to me it's pretty ironic i'm called Darth Idoit! Maybe he/she is right! Like u said back to topic, yep my mum has so far been speaking over me most of my life except i ain't no quiet person! She only does that when others are around which really get's me ****** off!

-Santa Claus (i dont really hate him...i just dont like him)

-being referred to as "quiet"

-doing horrible on something when I know I can do a lot better

-generalizations of all kinds

-people that think they're "all that" when really everyone hates them

-when people completely ignore things I say

-when people say I'm a lot like my brother :eyes8:(which happens a lot)

And since others are talking about it, I'll go ahead and state my "views" on the whole Christian and God stuff.

First off, I am a Christian. I didn't become a Christian because I physically "saw" God. I simply believe that He is real, and I can understand why some need more than that.

Hey, that's another thing that ticks me off, by the way. Someone claiming that God exists without any proof on the matter

Well since my whole religion is based on faith, then you will never see any proof that God exists: it's simply a faith matter. And if you don't want to believe that He is real, then that's your decision and I respect that.

Personally, I don't give a crap about Santa Claus. I think he takes the focus off the true meaning of Christmas, but if someone wants to believe that he is real, then I say go for it. It aint' my place to tell them what to believe.

And the whole deal with "Happy Holidays." Crap, just say what you want to say, and respect everyone else's beliefs.

- When people try to be G's, but we all know they're not.

- When a kid with like no friends tries to be cool, with getting like balla' hats, puffy jackets, earrings, etc.. just spend your effort in upgrading your social skills and getting some friends.

Surely you'd hate that more if say... the twelve year old talked a load of trash, and then actually DID beat you?

nope i actually look forward to getting beaten. i found one british 13 year old. fatherkitty is his name and he was pretty freakin good. so me and him play some deathmatch against unsuspecting peoples.

Archived