Home

Editting OJP Source

darthgrizavy

I've been messing around with the source, I'm trying to make a Movie Battles type mod with the way the sabering and classes work, but keep all the different gametypes, ledge climb, etc. Could someone help me with what file in the source holds all the information about what buttons do what? I would like to change block to right click if thats possible, and make idle with no buttons held I'd like for them to stand idle with their arms at their side.

Anyone know the files such as bg_saber.c which one would hold this information?

bg_saber.c and w_saber.c will be your best bet. Most of the stuff I've changed in the past has been in w_saber.c though, but its best that razor tells you where to start since he's the true sabersystem guru.

While the MB2 saber system is good (and originally based on some of our really old code with a ton of their own modifications for the way it is now), with our OJP Enhanced project, we've been trying to create an even more movie realistic and close quarter saber system then MB2. If you haven't tried it yet, I highly recommend it. I'm a big fan of MB2s system, but I left it to work on this one.

And if you want to ever help with further coding for Enhanced, Razor may very well be retiring soo and we might need another good coder who likes altered saber systems. We also wouldnt mind some work on seige and have even been debatingn whether or not we want classes for it, but our future isn't certain after our next public release.

Yes I would really like to help on enhanced, I've seen whats been going on so far and I really like it. I would like to bring MB to OJP and vice versa. There are many things I can't stand about MB and the developers are pretty much stuck to making it siege with no other options to play with. The saber system on OJP enhanced, atleast the version I've been playing seems really sloppy and just random slashing about. The feel of Movie Battles dueling is much more comfortable. I would really like to work on it and see what I can come up with. Also get the sabers to look like they do in Movie Battles, maybe speed up the characters movement a bit cause they feel like they drag. I'd like to try and get the force jump landing thing to move you more forward like a glide power, that is a really cool feature. Maybe make the jump more of a spring type jump like luke ep5 in the carbon freeze. All in all I think OJP is awesome, full of features, and obviously MB is a byproduct of that. If it could be changed around in just a few minor ways it could be the best. I think adopting classes would be great too. Changing the character menu and switching between classes, much like forcemod. This is a stretch but it would also be nice to be able to give moderators on the server the ability to give out ranks, so everyone gets points for classes depending upon their rank in the server or clan, might be fun for roleplay. Well I got pushed out of the MBII community because anyone who roleplays is shunned. I know there are still a lot of RPers out there. If we can change around OJP to be more comfortable for old MBII players, you will see the OJP server list full again.

The saber system on OJP enhanced, atleast the version I've been playing seems really sloppy and just random slashinglock about. The feel of Movie Battles dueling is much more comfortable.

Hehe, Unless you've read the manual well, thats exactly how it will feel, just like MB2 first did before anybody explained how the system works too you. Our system has a ton of depth to it and is not just swing spam, though straight defense in our mod is a little more complicated than MB2. Most of us OJP vets can play completely defensively and probably kill a new person without even swinging them when their not in a "must dodge" situation, but a new pperson has to have parrying explained to them or read the manual.

Theres not just one Parry/block button like there is in MB2; there are several. Autoblocking is what you want to avoid because it lowers your Defense points (DP) alot. Parrying saves you a ton of DP on a hit and is done by holding the directional keys (a,s,d,w) and moving towards what ever side your getting hit on (except for high hits you press back and low hit, mainly lunge, you press forward). So, as you can see, you have to think very fast in this mod and even parry WHILE you swing in case you get hit first. This only scratches the surface. There is also the mishap/balance bar that you have to worry about and ways to exploit it that are all covered in the manual.

Anyways, If you do become a valued member of our team and able to take a more up front position, We are still affiliates of MB2 and can use their code for things if we want and you would too; however, we've been trying to create more of our our mod and do things differently. But since we havent done much with seige, we might want to use some MB2 code in the future.

As far as accessing the source, go to the accessing the OJP source thread thats stickied for direcitons

That would be great, I'd love to join the team. I'm working on my coding skills, I'm best at mapping and the file structure of jedi academy, all the info files etc. I'm really interested in coding though. If its not too late to get in the game I'd like to help.

lol every time I want to reply I hit start a new thread... sorry about that. thanks to whoever covered for me the first time I did it.

That would be great, I'd love to join the team. I'm working on my coding skills, I'm best at mapping and the file structure of jedi academy, all the info files etc. I'm really interested in coding though. If its not too late to get in the game I'd like to help.

lol every time I want to reply I hit start a new thread... sorry about that. thanks to whoever covered for me the first time I did it.

Cool. Hey we're going to be playing enhanced tonight at the meatgrinder server: 72.5.248.212:29070 in a few minutes if you want to join. We'll show you the ropes on the saber system. Be sure that you haedve the most recent beta of Enhanced which is 0.0.9r, though anything after 0.0.9m should work fine too. If you use 0.0.9a or b, you wont be able to see the mishap meter. check the stickied threads to find a newer Enhanced if you dont have one.

Will somebody please map vote and swing that stupid desert seige map. I get a can't find vehicle swoop error message whenever I try to connect! :compcry:

Oh great, it wont even play seige Hoth because of another get vehicle error!!!! WHERE TF ARE MY VEHICLES!!!!

Arrgh, will somebody switch maps off of seige so I can talk to darthgrizavy while he's still there!! This is BS!!!

I'm checking it out the newest version's saber system seems much better. I don't think the saber system is too complicated. In a way MBII is simple. I would like to work on the siege portion of OJP and work the classes. Then maybe the classes could be moved over into the other gamemodes. It would take some time but creating point systems for all characters not just Jedi wouldn't be too hard.

I'm checking it out the newest version's saber system seems much better. I don't think the saber system is too complicated. In a way MBII is simple. I would like to work on the siege portion of OJP and work the classes. Then maybe the classes could be moved over into the other gamemodes. It would take some time but creating point systems for all characters not just Jedi wouldn't be too hard.

Thats cool, we could definitely use the help, but could you map vote off of seige so I can connect? lol

Well, the server just crashed obviously. Razors putting it back up. Anyways, I'll explain the system more he next time if he doesnt get it up tonight. PM me and razor and any body else you want whatever IM you use because thats how we keep in touch as a team and plan things without having to look at forum posts all the time or talk in game.

No, nobody uses Xfire on here as far as I know. We mainly use MSN messenger or AIM. I got rid of my Xfire because I never used it and it was taking up hard drive space :p

Btw, I think I know what you were referring to when you talked about the slowmotion thing. Thats called a slowbounce. It happens if youve been attackparried or got hit with power feint (attackfake) without blocking it. The slowbounce rang on the mishap meter is roughly Halfway from the bottom. If your more that 1.4 of the way up the mishap bar and you get kicked in a slowbounce, you will stumble and are vulnerable to a double damage swing and your dodge activating. Theres even a thing called a Heavy bounce thats higher up the mishap bar.

Anyways, its really best if you read the saber manual thats posted on this forum for all these details and alot more.

Archived