Home

RANCOR on Taris (im a rookie) [spoilers]

Dood Noslen

anyways i need help getting past the rancor on taris.

i got the odor things but what do i do with them?

If I remember correctly you put the odor bottle and a grenade in the pile of bones in the center of the room (it can be opened as a container). The Rancor will then swallow the grenade and get blown up from inside. Use someone with a stealth belt to place the grenade there to avoid being seen by the Rancor while doing it.

Welcome to the Forums Dood Noslen. For future reference, if you have any questions to do with either KOTOR or TSL, post them in the Padawan's Lounge. Anyway, onto your problem.

What you do is send one of your characters into Stealth Mode (Either your character or Mission, if you have her with you) and sneak towards the corpse north of you. Click on the corpse and where you would usually get the option to take the items of the corpse, switch to give to corpse and put any grenade in and then on the second go, put an odor in. That will kill the Rancor.

Hope this helps.

Welcome to the forums! And don't worry, I didn't laugh. (I did "smile" a bit though.)

OK, you don't even have to sneak over there. Just walk. Then take whatever that's in the dump. Click on that dump again, click "Give Item". Select any explosives, like grenades. Then the odor things. IT IS IMPORTANT TO SELECT THE EXPLOSIVES FIRST, because the cutscene enters once you place the odor thing, regardless of the explosives. Then just sit back and enjoy the cutscene. ;)

Yep, that's how it's usually done, but sometimes I like to do it the old fashioned way. I use Zaalbar and Mission to distract the rancor, then I enter stealth mode and head over to the door leading to the Vulkar Base. Once those 2 are dead and the rancor heads for me, I just launch a bunch of grenades at him.

I don't really know why I do that sometimes, I guess because it feels better to kill a rancor that way. But since you're a beginner, go ahead and follow the suggestions above this post.

If you want to do it the hard way you can also enter stealth mode and set loads of mines in the room and then lead the Rancor over them.

Or you can lure it back to the door you came from. Since it's too big to fit into the corridor you can snipe at it from a safe distance up the corridor there. :)

You mean you could actually kill off that rancor? Bah!

I used solo mode, and had each character run around the rancor. As the rancor chases me, I head over to the other side of the room, where the rancor doesn't get me. Then I save, switch to the next character and repeat the process. But, the other methods look much more easier, and would give you some XP, so try them out. I should try them out next time I play K1.

i got the odor things but what do i do with them?

You put the synthesized odor in the corpse pile with a frag grenade. A cutscene will then happen wich shows the rancor eating from the corpse pile and then die because the frag grenade blows up inside it. Ypu can also enter stealth mode and lay mines then drag the rancor through them or you can throw greanades at it until it is dead.

If you dont want to fight it at all and you have a very high stealth skill activate stealth and then sneak through the rancor's legs.

I have two methods but I prefer the sneaking and place the explosive in the food bin. The second is by going in solo mode and hiding behind the door and lobby grenades at the beastie. You need about 8-9 frags for it to work but it also depends on you demo skills I think. I just prefer the sneaking method.

If I remember correctly you put the odor bottle and a grenade in the pile of bones in the center of the room (it can be opened as a container). The Rancor will then swallow the grenade and get blown up from inside. Use someone with a stealth belt to place the grenade there to avoid being seen by the Rancor while doing it.
Actually you don't need to use stealth mode to do that. The rancor won't notice since you're far enough away.

I use Zaalbar and Mission to distract the rancor, then I enter stealth mode and head over to the door leading to the Vulkar Base. Once those 2 are dead and the rancor heads for me, I just launch a bunch of grenades at him.

I don't really know why I do that sometimes, I guess because it feels better to kill a rancor that way. But since you're a beginner, go ahead and follow the suggestions above this post.

That is an interesting approach, but I would never suggest to anybody to do that, especially when they're a beginner.

If you want to do it the hard way you can also enter stealth mode and set loads of mines in the room and then lead the Rancor over them.
That's always been a fun way to do it for me. :D

You mean you could actually kill off that rancor? Bah!
Yes! :D

I used solo mode, and had each character run around the rancor. As the rancor chases me, I head over to the other side of the room, where the rancor doesn't get me. Then I save, switch to the next character and repeat the process. But, the other methods look much more easier, and would give you some XP, so try them out. I should try them out next time I play K1.
There is a simplier way to do that. Take all of your party members out if your PC has good stealth skills, or run really fast around it. Once you're far enough out of reach, just put your two party members back.

I have two methods but I prefer the sneaking and place the explosive in the food bin. The second is by going in solo mode and hiding behind the door and lobby grenades at the beastie. You need about 8-9 frags for it to work but it also depends on you demo skills I think. I just prefer the sneaking method.
Either have frag or sonic grenades for that part. It does depend on the grenade since it can do either 10 vitality point damage or 20. I noticed it chooses the damage at random. So if you're going to do that, make sure you have enough of those. ;)

Of course, if you're a PETA type, you could always spare the Rancor by having everyone bypass it in stealth mode (if possible) and then going on to kill the vulkars by the elevator. Not nearly as fun as some of the other methods, but then again, different strokes for different folks.

Of course, if you're a PETA type, you could always spare the Rancor by having everyone bypass it in stealth mode (if possible) and then going on to kill the vulkars by the elevator.

Not possible unfortunately, the Rancor auto-detects you if you get too close no matter how good at stealth you are. :(

You're not entirely correct, Stoeffe. Straight out of the box you can't employ the afterthought of a scenario I proposed. Using KSE, or just regular cheating, you can set the stealth modifier high enough (I arbitrarily chose 35 to test your claim) and use turbo to allow all 3 members to slip past the rancor. Now, since you have to cheat to do this anyway, you may not mind passing up the 750 or so exp points for slaying the rancor. It's merely one more option for those who wish to try something a little different. Frankly, I say kill the bas****. I mean, it's not like you have anything better to do at that moment anyway. :dev7:

You also get more XP by killing the rancor with mines or grenades than you do the 'give item' thing and plant the grenade and the odor in the bone pile. However, since I save my level-ups for after making Jedi class, I don't mind the lower XP.

And if you complete all the quests you have more than enough XP to use anyway. ;)

I usually like to kill it with a poison grenade. Throw a grenade and if it doesn't poison the rancor, reload the game and try again. Then when it does work just run back to the hallway and wait for the poison to do it's business.

The give item way is the easiest way however, and there's a datapad that tells you what to do.

Archived