Home

What type of RPG should KOTOR 3 be?

tbl

What type of RPG should K3 be?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. What type of RPG should K3 be?

• Action RPG: (Oblivion/Fable)
    • "Real-time with pause allows" (K1, K2, NVN, Baulders Gate)
    • Classic turn-based RPG, (Final Fantasy VII)

After the KOTOR III should be like... (insert game) thread pretty much turned into a Action RPG vs. Traditional turned based RPG, I thought the users of this forum should settle the argument once and for all.

In an Action RPG, there are no turn restrictions and characters may act at any time. Action tends to be more frenetic though sometimes difficult to control. An example of a CRPG featuring real-time combat is Diablo. Many real-time CRPGs are classified as Action RPGs.

A variant of this mode called real-time with pause allowed allows the player to pause the game and issue orders to all characters under his/her control; when the game is unpaused, all characters follow the orders they were given. This system, abbreviated as RTwP, is often actually implemented with an underlying turn-based system, as in the Baldur's Gate series. RTwP has been particularly popular in games designed by Bioware. The most famous RTwP engine is the Infinity Engine (preceded the Odyssey Engine KOTOR uses).

In a classical turn-based system, only one character may act at a time; all other characters remain still, with a few exceptions that may involve the use of special abilities. The order in which the characters act is usually dependant on their attributes, such as speed or agility. Most turn-based games do not emphasize reflexes.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Action RPGs are teh suq. They can be entertaining, but I've yet to see one with any depth. I'm not a fan of solid turn-based RPGs (despite the fact that I've been playing them for years) and I love the fact that the Final Fantasy series is heading more toward real-time with pause (which is what I voted for :p). K3 should absolutely not change its gametype in the middle of the series... t'would be suicide.

I agree with most...the combat system itself does not need a major overhaul - maybe some shiny new animations, more seperation of animations for the different fighting styles...but not a major change.

However, I would not mind seeing a more active involvement with the enviroment...using your saber to cut open a security panel to get to the point that you can use your security skills to open a door - would be pretty cool.

How about Hentai Text Adventure? j/k

Well, I think game mechanism staying like k1/k2 would be fine. Action RPG focus mainly on one single character, and kotor series focus on the character and his teammates.

Basically ARPG does not give as good a story, to non main character.

I would absolutely hate it if KotOR III was action-oriented. The combat from both previous games was good, and it doesn't need to change from that. Besides, I play KotOR for the story and the character progression, not for the fighting.

....Then why not just remove fighting in total?

How about Hentai Text Adventure? j/k

Well, I think game mechanism staying like k1/k2 would be fine. Action RPG focus mainly on one single character, and kotor series focus on the character and his teammates.

Basically ARPG does not give as good a story, to non main character.

I simply fail to see how an imprvoed COMBAT SIMULATOR affects any other part of the game other than COMBAT!

The idea isn't transformation, conversion, subtraction, or division alone. THey all contribute to the operation of engineering, and more.

Action RPGs are teh suq. They can be entertaining, but I've yet to see one with any depth. I'm not a fan of solid turn-based RPGs (despite the fact that I've been playing them for years) and I love the fact that the Final Fantasy series is heading more toward real-time with pause (which is what I voted for :p). K3 should absolutely not change its gametype in the middle of the series... t'would be suicide.

No, suicide is only inevitible with intent.

History apparently doesn't speak loud enough for many people.

....Then why not just remove fighting in total?
Just because the reason you play KOTOR isn't for the fighting, it is still an important part of the game. Also, there need to be battles in the game, so why not play them out.

Obviously you have NEVER played PnP Star Wars D20. KotOR is based on that. YOU CAN'T change the way part of the game works without changing the rest of it. You take it or leave it. Upgrade the graphics, allow different species, let us customize our characters, and give us a good story line and TEST the bloody thing before release so the bugs are gone when we get it!

I don't know about Action, I'm fairly happy with the combat system as it is (although I accidentally voted for action... wasn't paying attention) what I would like to see though, is my lightsaber being fatal to little critters (e.g. laigreks, kath hounds etc) unless you miss, as it always annoyed me that the most deadly weapon in the galaxy (a lightsaber) wouldn't kill them in one. I can understand sentient life not being killed as they could have shields etc to deflect some of the lightsabers damage.

I think they should make it an action RPG, the mix of turn based and action works well but I'd love to be able to dodge blaster fire based on skill rather than dice rolls as well as snipe some poor Sith before he knew I was even there.
Have you tried a Jedi Knights game, because you just described an action game.

Archived