Home

Did Bastila Know?

The Sith'ari

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not actually sure if Bastila even took the rank of knight, but she was certainly no master, even by her own admission.

No, she wasn't a Jedi Master, but she was a Jedi Knight in KotOR. I recall a conversation in the game where she says that at one point she thought the reason why the Jedi Council sent her on the mission with you to find the Star Maps instead of a Jedi Master was because it was a test to see if she was ready to become a Jedi Master or not.

Bastila was a Knight in Kotor? Damn, and I thought after playing that game countless times I would remember such things...

I'm too lazy to check it right now, but I've got that sentence "You and Padawan Bastila..." in my head. Maybe she becomes a knight at the end of the game, but I'm rather sure that she's a Padawan.

No, she wasn't a Jedi Master, but she was a Jedi Knight in KotOR. I recall a conversation in the game where she says that at one point she thought the reason why the Jedi Council sent her on the mission with you to find the Star Maps instead of a Jedi Master was because it was a test to see if she was ready to become a Jedi Master or not.

Actually, I remember she said that it was a test to see if she was ready to be become a Jedi Knight or not.

Hello to all. Let me add a couple thoughts to this debate.

First of all I am sure that Bastila knew since the beginning that Revan was aboard. Her mission was to observe Revan and retrieve any possible information from him. That is not possible if you not know who is the person you need to retrieve information from. There is also another argument to support this. Would you really think that the Jedi council would leave Revan alone and unchecked even if he was brainwashed? I don't think so. Revan was not an average force user and definitely he was very dangerous to leave him be. I am sure that Vrook would have bored to death all the Jedi's of the mission with warnings about Revan, especially his own padawan.

The second point I want to comment on is why Bastila was acting the way she did after the swoop race. And in general why she was not the typical Jedi in Taris. You must understand who Bastila really is. Bastila is an important asset in the Jedi arsenal. There are many instances inside the game were the Jedi masters comment that the Republic withstood Revan's Campaign due to Bastila's Battle meditation ability. What that means? It means that the Jedi council kept her very, very safe in order to use without interruption her ability. We also have Carth's testimony that she doesn't know much about war and leadership. That is to be expected. The Jedi after the Exar Kun war were more more "cautious" about participating in a war. In my country we say " If you get burn from the porridge you blow cold even the yogurt. " Anyway I believe that the younger members of the Jedi order were overprotected by their masters from all temptations including war training. Imagine what Bastila had to endure with a master like Vrook. Anyway my point is that Bastila has no experience in a completely hostile environment like Taris under Sith occupation. It is natural for her to be under enormous stress. Add the fact that for a great amount of time she was under neural disruptor, which if I am not mistaken is messing up completely your mind and perception. And to make things even worst she is all alone ( with no jedi support and guidance ) among non jedi and even she had to deal with the brainwashed Revan. Well in my opinion the situation was too much for her slender shoulders.

The third issue is her feelings for Revan. I don't think that she was in love with Revan since the beginning. I believe that she was partly enamored with Revan's image. Revan is a man that marked that era with his presence. Probably one of the greatest Jedi and Sith but in my opinion just the greatest force user. Revan was never Jedi and/or Sith. Revan was something else and based on Kreia's words he never fell but he was always honest with himself. Anyway Revan was a paragon for the Jedi. So Bastila was enamored with Revan's image. And after his "fall" Bastila was socked, angry and she probably despised the Traitor Revan. So I can assume that Bastila's opinion for Revan is conflicting and shows a great deal of confusion. If you follow the LS path Bastila will confess to Revan that he was not what she really expected. So in conclusion Bastila has fallen in love gradually with Revan. Thats it.

Cheers,

Paul

that's a good point with Bastila being thrust into a situation the way she was, although one wonders just how unprepared she was if she led the strike team to capture Revan. Perhaps because of her pride (she argues with Carth over who is leading the mission) for things not to go her way she she would get more snappy. Just look at how easy it is for Revan, Mission or Canderous to bait her.

that's a good point with Bastila being thrust into a situation the way she was, although one wonders just how unprepared she was if she led the strike team to capture Revan. Perhaps because of her pride (she argues with Carth over who is leading the mission) for things not to go her way she she would get more snappy.

Does it say anywhere in the game that Bastila was leading the strike team that boarded Darth Revan's flagship? I got the impression she was just a member of the team, not that she was leading it. She seems a bit too young, weak, inexperienced and possessing too poor leadership skills for such an important task, even if it was a desperate suicide mission. If Bastila was the most senior Knight on that team then they would have been easily slaughtered by Darth Revan if it wasn't for Malak's intervention.

(That she was on the team at all is strange in itself, since Bastila's greatest strength was Battle Meditation which wasn't really something that would be of much use on that strike team. Would have made more sense if she stayed on the Republic cruiser and meditated to confuse the Sith and allow the strike team to board DR's ship. But then the Revan <-> Bastila connection of the story wouldn't work. :))

Actually, I remember she said that it was a test to see if she was ready to be become a Jedi Knight or not.

Wrong.

She said that at one point she thought it was a test to see if she was ready to become a Jedi Master or not, not a Jedi Knight. Will someone please bring up the dialogue and show her conversation with Revan? Does anyone know what conversation I'm talking about?

Bastila: "I wondered if the Council wanted to see how I would help and guide you on our quest. I wondered if they were testing me to see if I was ready to become a Jedi Master myself. And then I realized how foolish such thoughts were. As the Council explained, sending a Master in our group would only have drawn unwanted attention from the Sith. The fate of the galaxy is at stake, the Council would not risk it merely to test me. They calculated the risks and in the end chose the only option available."

Bastila: "And then I realized how foolish such thoughts were. As the Council explained, sending a Master in our group would only have drawn unwanted attention from the Sith. The fate of the galaxy is at stake, the Council would not risk it merely to test me."

She has rather peculiar reasoning there. Sending a Jedi Master would bring too much attention, so instead they send Bastila "Battle Meditation" Shan who they know Malak is hunting for personally, and who he just razed an entire planet just to get at. :)

She has rather peculiar reasoning there. Sending a Jedi Master would bring too much attention, so instead they send Bastila "Battle Meditation" Shan who they know Malak is hunting for personally, and who he just razed an entire planet just to get at. :)

I know. I thought that odd too. My PC was like uh-huh and Master Vandar would attract more attention that you? The most wanted person in the galaxy? But then of course they sent her because of the Force bond between her and Revan.

Bastila: "I wondered if the Council wanted to see how I would help and guide you on our quest. I wondered if they were testing me to see if I was ready to become a Jedi Master myself. And then I realized how foolish such thoughts were. As the Council explained, sending a Master in our group would only have drawn unwanted attention from the Sith. The fate of the galaxy is at stake, the Council would not risk it merely to test me. They calculated the risks and in the end chose the only option available."

Thanks Melly.

Archived