Home

Your view on homework

Master Jimmy

@Samuel Dravis: In (my) college, homework doesn't exist, not even as a word. :D But there are essays, research papers, etc, but it's your choice to sign up or not to sign up for one of these things. Some of them can make your grade higher, others can help you pass the subject, by replacing a part of your exam. I've taken up to do a research paper in psychology, the topic - the methods of studying, meaning I and another colleague will be determining which method of studying is the most commonly used among our students. ;)

@Jae: That's what I thought. When it comes to research papers, or term papers or essays I agree with you, but when you get a set of questions/math problems/etc which you simply forget about (since it's most likely that they are not due for a couple of days) and then one of your friends lets you copy his answers, I don't consider that a big deal. You would have gotten in trouble because you forgot, not because you didn't want to do your homework. It's a different matter when somebody doesn't want to bother him/herself with doing homework, that's just lazy and they should never be helped in this way.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You don't know how right you are. As a college student I don't get any homework, but I do have to study a lot.

No fair. I'm in college, and I get homework! I think it depends on the teacher though, because there are other students I've met who say they don't get any.

Anyway, lucky you.

Sometimes I enjoy homework because it's just a work-out. [Heck, don't call me a maniac!]

Light homework is good, which keeps your brain sharp, [according to Sabretooth]. But if a truckload of homework...Hell, no.

However, Homework sometimes sucks, sometimes good. It's just a matter of how much homework you have to finish.

I hardly ever do my homework, just beacause i have great grades as it is. Well, if i realy don't understand something than maybe, and, of course, to study for difficult tests. I learn in 2nd best school in country I live in. I never once learned english and I believe my language is good, never do math homework, still got a B+ for semester (not that easy to get, realy), same for physics, A at history, A at literature, well of course not learning took away my good chemistry and biology grades away, but still, I could stay in this school for college (BIG competition) if I wanted to, but I am invading England next school year. Heard that learning there is much easier too... Hope so and hope for half an hour or less homework :D

I always do my homework. Why? Teacher says so. It helps me learn. That's the point of school. To prepare for college. If it seems incredibly random, well...it is. Deal with it. Your boss will give you totally random stuff to do, and well, you do it anyway. You want a paycheck/grade, no? Question it all you will, but have good employee morale, and understand the boss has your best interest at heart.

Oh, sometimes, the teacher says, "You know, homework is optional." She usually adds in an footnote, "You'll still get graded if you do not do your homework..."

Often times, while I consider myself smart, what if I fail a test? There is no backup plan, or anything for that matter. Therefore, I do homework to increase my grades, so that if I bomb a test, I still surivie. Also, there is a note that if you do your homework, you can get better in actually doing the tests.

Also, I will not cheat unless the teacher specifically says that it is okay to cheat. For example, if the teacher states that we can work together and solve problems, asking each other for help, or if the teacher states you can look at the answers in the back of the book to learn how to solve them, then I will do so. But if the teacher says "Do not do it", then I do not do it.

I think people should also post how old they are :p

Seriously though, people should do their homeworks. When you are young, it might not matter very much, but it's very easy to become overconfident. Later on, you need to work hard to succeed, and it's always a good thing to be prepared. Like Jimbo Fett said, in the end the only thing that really matters is if you work hard and have the desire to succeed. Plain "intelligence" doesn't cut it.

Still, some areas of study are less heavy on homeworks, but more on pure studying and memorization. If you go in something like maths at the university, you better be prepared to do lots of exercises and the like. I'm in biomedical sciences (which is apparently the best springboard to medicine around here), and it's mostly 100% memorization. So if doing tons of exercises is not your bag, there are alternatives later on.

I hardly ever do my homework, just beacause i have great grades as it is. Well, if i realy don't understand something than maybe, and, of course, to study for difficult tests. I learn in 2nd best school in country I live in. I never once learned english and I believe my language is good, never do math homework, still got a B+ for semester (not that easy to get, realy), same for physics, A at history, A at literature, well of course not learning took away my good chemistry and biology grades away, but still, I could stay in this school for college (BIG competition) if I wanted to, but I am invading England next school year. Heard that learning there is much easier too... Hope so and hope for half an hour or less homework :D

If your coming here, play it safe and be a stealth geek like me and don't hang around with chavs. Kudos.

@Jae- You and Ward Churchill would have a battle royale. Guy's a dirty slimeball.

@jimbo- I have a friend who's doing the exact same thing, just he's starting on the failing side now. He's getting married(at 19) to a girl who's the complete opposite of him in terms of study habits and general competency. He got a 35 on the ACT, IB diploma, top 20 out of 500, etc, but hasn't fully realized that college and high school are completely different, and his grades have suffered immensely.

Homework prepares you, teaches you concepts, but most importantly gives you the study habits you will need in college. Not doing homework is simply stupid, even if it is not required. The time you spend drinking, getting stoned, partying, playing games, sleeping, or whatever, instead of doing homework and studying will come back to bite you, and painfully.

@Jae- You and Ward Churchill would have a battle royale. Guy's a dirty slimeball.

Don't even get me started on him. :) He should have been fired eons ago. The only reason he hasn't is the university Pres is too afraid to deal with the fallout. So instead, he's allowed to spout crap to thousands of students at the expense of the University's 'reputation'. :roleyess:

jimbo: Though I am but a youngster, still a baby despite being 22, I am honored to say that you have accomplished much and learned much through your time in school. My mother would say the same thing since she went to school full time and worked full time and had to look after my brother and I. Now that we are in college and she just started working with kids, she is going back to get a masters. I know better than my dad the heartache she had during her undergrad and later her credential work but when she was finished and I saw that smile on her face, I knew that she knew it was worth it. I was so proud of her that even though I was suffering a terrible earache, I was stubborn to attend her commencement because I just wanted to hear her name. Good job to you jimbo and I am sure that Jae had plenty to do with it.

Bimmerman: You said your friend was an IB diploma recipient? And he still failed? I guess we can't all be lucky because I had tough teachers who expected college level from us and I was IB for 4 years.

I admit that college is not easy. I did earn a total of four C's on my transcripts and I admit that the material was tough considering I had to learn human osteology, linguistics and calculating map scales. I also had to learn about our American institutions. I even admitted it to my mother and the professor when I was having a tough time. Part of my problem is that I am not the world's greatest test taker but I try. That is important too: you have to try.

I was lucky that I was blessed with an intelligence to do well in school. Being in college has opened my eyes that to what I find easy can be difficult for others. When I see that, I try harder on my assignments.

Homework is not just busywork because the teacher has nothing better to do. Subjects like Math and Science, the practice problems help reinforce the lesson. With English Lit, and the social sciences, that helps with critical thinking. Mace said it the best when he posted that it helps you learn how to learn. I know I have yet to face the real world but I am taking steps into it with my applying to a job at an archaeological firm and I am grateful that I know what is expected. I can think critically, I know how to write for the social sciences and I can present the data in a clear manner. That I learned by practice which is homework. Don't skimp out on it because all you may be doing is skimping out on your chance to do something more.

@JM12- He hasn't so much failed as has started down that path. Don't get me wrong, our IB/AP teachers were ruthless and demanding, but he slid through senior year, losing credit in some classes, and is applying the same general attitude towards college, and it's hurting him academically. He did actually recieve the IB diploma which is why it's all the more confusing. I took the classes but not enough for the diploma(AP's far more useful for engineering), and am doing way better in school. A large part's the attitude towards school

Homework? If I don't get stcks of it, I don't mind it, considering you need it. And I don't mind projects. But when I get too much, I explode. This year, I had about 8 projects. At one stage I had 3 at once. Plus, add to that the usual maths and english questions that we get on Monday and return on Friday, it's just too much. And i'm only 14! Plus my parents force me to do it, although I just say i'm going on the computer for homework, and then don't do anything. Plus I hate homework. :p

gah.. seeing all the homework sucks post makes me weep for our future.

And to think I'm supposed to be comfortable letting the "Youth of the Nation" take over once I'm too old to do so is even scarier when I see how ppl are much more concerned about getting 1,000 posts on a freaking internet forum rather than know how to do an advanced math problem.. *sigh* :disaprove

Call it useless all you want... bitch & moan that it interferes with your TV / Game / Life time, but you'll eventually find out you were wrong and it might not be in a pleasant manner.

Just because you may know it now, doesn't mean you'll retain it once you're not submerged in the subject on a day to day basis (school). Tedious as it may sound, repetition is a proven tactic to "beat the subject in to your brain"...

For those of you that do homework and perhaps realize it's actual purpose, the world will be your oyster and opportunities abound in the next generation.

I don't know if I've mentioned this already, but homework should be gotten rid of, since some people, like me, sometimes need help doing homework,

If you need help with the homework, Potts, all the more reason you should do more of it. If you have trouble doing one assignment independantly, how can you expect to pass the exams on it?

which also wastes the other person's time

They chose to do that themselves, and are the ones at fault for wasting their time. It's that logic which led to the (risible) lawsuit by two women against McDonald's, on the grounds of making them fat.

and I learn a lot more at school, then homework, so I find homework pointless.

School is where you learn the concept of the material (it's a lot easier if the teacher explains it rather than opening the textbook on your own, depending on the subject), but it won't do a bit of good if you can't do it yourself. If you understand the material, homework should be no problem. If not, it's a sign to do more of it. :)

And to think I'm supposed to be comfortable letting the "Youth of the Nation" take over once I'm too old to do so is even scarier when I see how ppl are much more concerned about getting 1,000 posts on a freaking internet forum rather than know how to do an advanced math problem.. *sigh* :disaprove

I've gotten the impression that some people don't like homework. But if they actually consider a custom title more important than their GPAs... :eyeraise:

Homework is okay, the problem for me is living in South Africa, and geting homework for a month from Norway, often three days before the month ends kills me. Not sleeping for three days and two nights isn't healthy, and since I don't finish my homework on time most of the time, they give me 4's instead of 5's 3's instead of 4's and 5's instad of 6's. So to me, the problem is not the homework, its the teachers.

Archived