Home

Grammar Wars

Hallucination

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess you're right, Rogue. I don't have anything against Hall and I never meant anything as an insult, even though it seems to appear otherwise. I am still inclined to trust my experience, but I do apologize, Hall, if I insulted you in any way. From my point of view it was all harmless teasing, please don't hold it against me. :)

Pick me Jae.

It's - It's a very cold day.

Its' - Its' his?

Its - N/A

Don't tell me there wrong, I know they are.

You get a third of a cookie for the first one. "It's" is the contraction of "It is".

The second one is incorrect, however--you'll have to fix that one if you want another part-cookie. :)

He could have, but it is a rather ugly construction.

@Herbie: True, but do native speakers have much of an excuse?

It's also down to education as well. Some people here such as the Doctor, Hallu and Jae are pretty well spoken, but then people (not these in particular) assume others to be at the same level as these people in education. Plus it's where we are using this language as well: For some people, whipping out a dictionary and writing an essay on a game forum is not worth the effort/time compared to writing a professional letter to someone like an employer. Plus there is also age that can be a factor too.

Oh and Hallu...

Hi, I'm Hallucination. Once you hear what I have to say, you'll understand. :smash: [/herbie]

That's copyrighted by me. Feel my wrath!

It's also down to education as well. Some people here such as the Doctor, Hallu and Jae are pretty well spoken, but then people (not these in particular) assume others to be at the same level as these people in education. Plus it's where we are using this language as well: For some people, whipping out a dictionary and writing an essay on a game forum is not worth the effort/time compared to writing a professional letter to someone like an employer. Plus there is also age that can be a factor too.

It's easier if your written style is of a universal standard, 'though :)

And moving right along, a cookie for someone who can come up with sentences with the proper usage of its, it's, and its'.

Hmmm, I just have to try this:

Its (possessive pronoun): Don't judge a book by its covers.

It's (it is): Congratulations! It's a boy!

Its': The word its' is nonexistant. (Seriouls, this really intrigued me, I checked multiple dictionary sites and there's no reference in either of them)

Use the words "elephant, gorilla, hat" in a sentence that makes sense.

When I went to the ZOO I saw an elephant and a gorilla that got agitated by a man with a black hat.

@igyman: You didn't insult me. ;)

It's also down to education as well. Some people here such as the Doctor, Hallu and Jae are pretty well spoken, but then people (not these in particular) assume others to be at the same level as these people in education.

I'm only in grade 10...

That's copyrighted by me. Feel my wrath!

I know, I'm a thief who deserves to be hanged. :p

It's also down to education as well. Some people here such as the Doctor, Hallu and Jae are pretty well spoken, but then people (not these in particular) assume others to be at the same level as these people in education.

I don't assume anyone is insane enough to go to college as long as I have. :)

And the crazy thing is, if I were independently wealthy, I'd go back and finish my PhD in history, which would be another 4 years of college. :D

jmac gets a third of a cookie since its is the possessive.

Akuma--saying "Its mine then" isn't quite correct. In that sentence, the its should be it's because it's a contraction of 'it is'. So, it should be "It's mine then."

igyman gets a full cookie.

Its' was a trick question. :D However, I've seen that used occasionally (incorrectly, of course).

Drat, I'm late for the grammar quiz. It's annoying how NWN 2 makes me miss out on posts here, but that's a side effect of its addictiveness. :D

@igy, a mistake is something that happens unintentionally. If it's done on purpose, it no longer is one. :)

I don't assume anyone is insane enough to go to college as long as I have. :)

I wouldn't be surprised if I remain in a college classroom eight years from now, at the lowest. Anything beyond twelve is just plain nuts, though. :xp:

Not to insult their intelligence, but I've yet to see them discuss economics, or anything particularly political. Call it personal bias, but those are some of the most important branches of knowledge out there. :)

Plus it's where we are using this language as well: For some people, whipping out a dictionary and writing an essay on a game forum is not worth the effort/time compared to writing a professional letter to someone like an employer. Plus there is also age that can be a factor too.

I attribute improper grammar towards simple laziness (it takes slightly more effort to press the shift key), but if people here actually don't know the difference between 'knew', 'new' and whatnot...

*Sobs convulsively in a corner while wailing about what humanity is coming to*

Drat, I'm late for the grammar quiz. It's annoying how NWN 2 makes me miss out on posts here, but that's a side effect of its addictiveness. :D
:lol:

I see you failed your Will save with the NWN2 Siren, too. :giggle1:

I wouldn't be surprised if I remain in a college classroom eight years from now, at the lowest. Anything beyond twelve is just plain nuts, though. :xp:

Whew, that's a relief, then. I'm not plain nuts. I only had 11 years of college.

Not to insult their intelligence, but I've yet to see them discuss economics, or anything particularly political. Call it personal bias, but those are some of the most important branches of knowledge out there. :)

Let's see--macroeconomics or researching health conditions that affect millions or billions? I love history, but I have no illusions that antibiotics and other medical discoveries have had far more impact on peoples' lives than Bernanke and Friedman. :)

Archived