Home

Grammar Wars

Hallucination

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, I know someone who goes by 'I'. Makes for very confusing conversations with her, but we do say "I is going to be there" when referring to her. So ED is somewhat right.

However, I think the answer you're looking for is that is it's all right to use 'I is' when referring to the actual letter of the alphabet. A very uncreative example is, "I is the ninth letter of the alphabet."

Rogue Nine gets it perfectly. "I is the ninth letter of the alphabet." Exactly the answer I was thinking of.

I"m starting to run out of questions. Is this sentence gramatically correct:

John, where Bill had had "had", had had "had had"; "had had" had had the teacher's approval.

No. In the first piece, there is no sentence, just a random name (possibly intended to be a noun of direct address, or maybe the subject, in which case there should be no comma after it) and a dependent clause, which can not function alone. The second piece is grammatically correct.

Wrong what? Split the "sentence" at the semicolon, since the semicolon in this instance is being used to separate what should be two stand-alone sentences.

"John, where Bill had had 'had', had had 'had had'" is not grammatically correct. There is no subject, literal or implied.

"'Had had' had had the teacher's approval" is grammatically correct.

And wikipedia is hardly the place to go when looking for grammar rules. :xp:

Wrong what? Split the "sentence" at the semicolon, since the semicolon in this instance is being used to separate what should be two stand-alone sentences.

"John, where Bill had had 'had', had had 'had had'" is not grammatically correct. There is no subject, literal or implied.

"'Had had' had had the teacher's approval" is grammatically correct.

And wikipedia is hardly the place to go when looking for grammar rules. :xp:

Too true.

There are some...mhm, amusing articles on Wikipedia...I once came across one using 'four-tuple'...???

That is a given Akuma ;)

On another note: Has anyone ever noticed that there is an alarming frequency of Eng majors that make simple grammar mistakes? My dept chair is an anthropologist and he is a stickler for grammar. He will dock point off your paper for bad grammar. I recently received paperwork from the Eng Dept and there were errors all over the board.

At the beginning of my college English class, my teacher handed us all sheets of paper that explained the point of the class, what she wouldn't tolerate, etc. Smack in the middle of a paragraph talking about how she wanted good grammar was a grammar mistake, glaringly obvious. I despised that teacher. :xp:

Archived