Home

What did you do with Sunry?

Vaelastraz

You don't consider it "evil" to murder a woman in cold blood just because he learned that she was spying on him? It's certainly ruthless and brutal at the very least. That she was (most likely) "evil" and ruthless as well doesn't change that fact, IMO.

When you think about it, to Sunry, Elassa wasn't just "spying" on him. She was using him to get at the Republic, and Sunry loves the Republic, and when he learned about it, he probably felt like he betrayed the Republic in a way. It was ruthless and brutal, but people aren't perfect and sometimes they take things too far. I think that's what Sunry did.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess he killed her in a brutal way indeed. But he had no chance against her on a common firefight, he was crippled and old, and her was a Dark Jedi and young, after all. I guess, then, that the fairer sentence would be some years in reclusion, but since there isnt this option, I usually let he goes free, and I would love to tell Sunry that he should be ashamed and isnt an hero for what he did.

After all, I dont want the Selkath cutting Republic Kolto supply, cause, despite its actions, better it than the Empire.

Maybe if Sunry had killed her in self defense or outside the city of Ahto then it would be ok, but he shot her in the back, in their hotel room, in Ahto City (which obviously has laws against killing). I usually help him get off though. Hey, nobody's perfect. :)

Playing as a halo-wearing lightsider I see no problems with helping Sunry get declared innocent at his trial, since there is no Justice to be had with the Selkath, only cold, hard, rigid Law.

If Sunry is found guilty the Selkath would also punish the Republic, even though they didn't have anything to do with the crime. Sunry didn't assassinate Elassa under orders from the Republic, it was entirely his own initiative. The Republic's only involvement was that they tried to help him cover up the crime after the deed was done and he came to them for help. While somewhat shady, seen in the perspective of the rigidness of the Selkath legal system one can understand why they did it.

Sunry was a renowned Republic war hero. Other than not abandoning one of their own, the Republic reps on Manaan likely knew the Selkath would suspect Republic involvement in the crime regardless, due to their strong connection with the man, and place sanctions on them. To avoid this they helped him cover up his crime. The alternative could have serious consequences for the Republic war efforts and endanger the lives of millions of their other soldiers.

Seen from this perspective, letting Sunry go despite his crime is the smaller injustice being done of the two options available. Besides, I wouldn't want to be in his clothes when he and his wife are alone after all this. I can't imagine her being too happy with him now that the immediate danger and chock is over. :)

When you think about it, to Sunry, Elassa wasn't just "spying" on him. She was using him to get at the Republic, and Sunry loves the Republic, and when he learned about it, he probably felt like he betrayed the Republic in a way.

But, um...If Sunry loved the Republic, then why in the world did he decides to actually link up with Elassa, a Sith, who probraly killed as many Jedi as Sunry killed Sith? She had a lightsaber, for crying out loud! Why not do what the rest of the Republic troops do, just sneer at the Sith? Why didn't Elassa do what all the Sith women did and just laugh at the Republic? Strange indeed. It's like a "Romeo and Juilet" type story, only it ends up with Romeo killing off Juilet in bed, and feeling mighty proud of it.

What I wonder is what is not being said. Elassa was using Sunry to gain intel...but what if she was using him to convert him to Sith? What if she succeded? Or what if Sunry is using love to redeem Elassa to the LS? What if he succeded? Sunry tells us that Elassa was using him to gain information on the Republic, was Sunry using Elassa to gain information on the Sith? Of course, Elassa is dead, and this speculation is useless...But there is more to the story than what is being said, that is all.

Playing as a halo-wearing lightsider I see no problems with helping Sunry get declared innocent at his trial, since there is no Justice to be had with the Selkath, only cold, hard, rigid Law.

Justice is vague, but, what exactly is just? Just a simple massacure of every single Sith? Law is not vague and we could understand what is true.The Selkath put that law in there so that they would not get bombarded like Telos and Taris.

Of course, I see no problems with helping Sunry get declared innocent when you are LS. I understand your reasons, and it helps out the Republic. But I also see no problems with helping Sunry get killed off. Sunry is a murderer, after all. He did something DS. Murders are punished to discourge people from murdering. If Sunry gets away with murder, then what message does it send to EVERY Republic trooper on Mannan? "You can kill Sith, because, you know what, we will protect you from harm..."

Prehaps the most LS action would be the life imprisonment. Sunry get punished for his crime, but not killed off. Judging from the fact that the Republic would defeat the Sith Empire in canon, the Republic would be able to unimprison Sunry and declare him innocent, by presuring the Selkath to release him. Since the Sith Empire is gone, and the Republic remains, the Selkath knows to respond to pressure, and shall agree to relase Sunry and clear him. Sunry gets off free in the long run, but stays in jail for a while, so that he may learn his lesson.

And for people arguging of the reprucusions the Republic would face for being connected to Sunry's murder...you could see the trial where the Mannan authorites just fined the Sith Empire and the Republic tons of credits. Both sides are incredibly unhappy, but paid up the credits, knowing of their koltoh. And the Republic would be unable to be expelled, due to the fact of having supporters, and the fact that the Selkath gets lots of profit. I think the Republic can handle a couple of large fines here and there.

The Selkath cannot afford to lose customers...even when I presented proof of the Sith Embassy recuriting Selkath to overthrow the Atho government, all the Selkath did was give a slap on the wrist. So I see no problem whatsoever.

There was cut content (a datapad in the Sith base) indicating that Sunry and Elassa were engaging in a lot of Spy versus Spy between the lies of the bedroom shaking. She was pumping him for information while pumping his anatomy. He was indeed working for Republic Intellegence, trying to get her to turn double-agent. The datapad went onto murk things up even more by saying the Sith were going to kill Sunry because he wasn't a useful source.

This is why the mysterious man, BTW, was telling you to check BOTH bases.

There was cut content (a datapad in the Sith base) indicating that Sunry and Elassa were engaging in a lot of Spy versus Spy between the lies of the bedroom shaking. She was pumping him for information while pumping his anatomy. He was indeed working for Republic Intellegence, trying to get her to turn double-agent. The datapad went onto murk things up even more by saying the Sith were going to kill Sunry because he wasn't a useful source.

Awesome. I think they probraly cut it because 1) people will only assume that the Sith actually tried to kill off Sunry, by framing him for Elassa's death, and not spy on the Republic...2) Just present the datapad to the Selkath during the trial to save Sunry! and 3) Prehaps you gone to Mannan first, compelete it, and then Kasshyykk later, and therefore do not trigger the Sunry's trial, since you did not have Jolee at the time? If you get the datapad then, you would be so confused...And since you would not be able to enter into the Sith Embassy after you complete the Mannan storyline, then you would not be able to gain teh datapad. But one could restore it...maybe.

If that was in the game, I'd probraly abandon my feeble defense of the Selkath's system and my rigid love for prosecuting murderers everywhere and joyfully defend Sunry. Hey, better the Republic than the Sith. Who knows? The Force probraly acts as karma, and Sunry will get in trouble much later on.

There was cut content (a datapad in the Sith base) indicating that Sunry and Elassa were engaging in a lot of Spy versus Spy...

Thanks for sharing that. I recently got KOTOR, and was pleasantly surprised with how good it was. I'm playing through my second time (using your dialogue pack, which, by the way, is very good!), and it has kind of bugged me on both playthroughs that multiple characters tell you to check the Sith base for evidence. The first time I played through, I went back to the Sith embassy just to double check, even though I had been extremely thorough the first time through. I also wonder why this was cut. I think the Sunry sidequest is one of the most thought-provoking quests in the entire game, for reasons already mentioned above, and anything that added more to it would have been welcome.

One of these days someone that has extensive knowledge of the KOTOR tool should make a thread listing all of the cut content they and others have found. It would be interesting to see.

Welcome to the Forums....

But they probably cut it for a reason..... why? I do not know.... I usually expose him, bc he killed her in cold blood, as I've stated before

Excess of quests on a planet, I think. Like the Kolto cut-Quest. Everyone knows that, or at least everyone should know, that originally it was meant to have a Kolto related quest (I dont know if it's smuggling/trading/negotiating) on Manaan.

Prehaps you gone to Mannan first, compelete it, and then Kasshyykk later, and therefore do not trigger the Sunry's trial, since you did not have Jolee at the time?

Doesn't matter whether you do Manaan with or without Jolee. When you get Jolee eventually the Sunry quest will become available and you can go back to Manaan to finish it.

If I feel like doing the trial, I always set him free and get the Sith charged with conspiracy. I always get a good laugh doing that. :lol:

If I don't feel like it, I just hand over the recording to the Selkath judges and get the trial over with.

• 4 weeks later...

Sunry? That's a tough one for either light or dark side, unlike the warring Sandrell\Matalies where I scream at them to shut up. Having him convicted would satisfy Manaan's justice, yet it's argueable that they are not the most...how should I say? They are quite zealous in law and order, perhaps too much so. On the other hand what Sunry did was wrong, even though it was against the Sith, and the Republic sought to cover up the murder. Since I usually fail anyway I choose to defend him, which means he either gets away with it or has the chance for appeal.

I like to play the judge, declare life itself in contempt of court, and duly confiscate it from all there present. Hmm...this sounds familiar. :D

After trying various options on my first play through, I have gotten to where I just hand over the datapad proving his guilt. He kills one sith and pays for it with his life. I kill everyone I see in a blind rage and they do nothing. Speaking of which, one thing the KotOR games lack is the ability to turn on your party members. Any good rpg usually includes party attack right? (Didn't you take a whack at Kyle when playing as Jaden?) :)

• 4 weeks later...
Well i got him setenced to prison on my game but he was guilty but if you think about it how many sith has Revan killed?

I've had a change of heart on this topic, and for this specific reason. I used to think this way, but then I thought about and decided that what Sunry did was much different. Sunry murdered Elassa in cold-blood. Whether she was spying on him and the Republic didn't matter, the way he killed her made it wrong. Now if she openly attacked him and he killed her out of self-defense, then it would be different, but that's not how it happened.

• 2 months later...

I have gotten him out of punishment, and i have done the capital punishment route. To address the question of what would Revan have done...it gets complicated. My view of Revan is doingwhat it takes to make the Republic capable of fending off the True Sith, whether that means being good and moral 100% of the time, or bending rules to help the Republic, I do what I have to do. So in this case it is ultimately in the best interest of the Republic to let him off.

In my "True Revan" game I entered a guilty plea for Sunry without showing the video evidence. When Sunry flips out, the Selkath order you to do your duty as arbiter--the trial then proceeds as normal, and you get to expose and undermine the Sith's position on Manaan.

Defending him just well enough to get him imprisoned for life under the above circumstances seems the most "just" way for a LS Jedi to handle the situation IMO.

The crime and trial are one of the best parts of the entire series IMO, and an example I use often in discussions for how games could incorporate more "real" dilemnas rather than the obvious good vs. evil.

EDIT: One of the more difficult points for me when dealing with Sunry as a LSer is the fact that he blatantly lies to your face--repeatedly. Had he been willing to work *with* me in the first place I would have felt less wrong if I chose to help him get off.

I usually just skip most of this Sunry part but:

Going LS, it is your responsibility to safeguard the republic, so therefore it is you duty to protect its soldiers, Sunry included. Regardless that he is guilty of killing someone on neutral territory, he was acting in the interests of Republic. And albeit that it is a terrible act, they are loosing the war, and it really doesn't compare to the brutallity that the Sith have shown. e.g. Taris.

And of course if your DS, you don't really care about the republic, so you would want Sunry, a republic confidant dead. And here, Ironically, to get him killed all you need to do is tell the truth.

All in all this is one of the better examples of Bioware writing.

Archived