Home

[NSW ART] Emalin's Various Artworks

Emalin

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, I'm back! :^: I ended up going to my best friend's house after the competition yesterday, and I only JUST got home. Sorry I misled you, Anakin, though I didn't mean to.

Well, I'm still in a daze after the competition. My memory of the awards ceremony seems unreal because of how giddy I was. But, hey, guess what?

BOTH OF MY PIECES GOT FIRST PLACE!!!!!! :D :D :D

My poem for the contest won, too. That shocked me, to say the least! :^: Also, my best friend won first place in three categories -- mixed media (art), music theory (academic), and essay writing (academic) -- which I think says a lot about her talents. So we each brought three blue ribbons home...as well as a trophy for our school, with the help of another student. Second place Art Cup! w00t!

Thanks, everyone, for your wonderful support. Up next is the nationals in April, which is going to be HUGE. Christian schools from all over the USA, or at least the Southeast, will be competing.

Wow! *squeak*

Thanks, guys! :D :D :D Actually, the pieces I entered are already posted: the charcoal celebrity and the pastel flower. Thing is, from what I've been told, I can only choose one to go on to nationals. I plan to ask my art teacher which one she thinks should go. (Your input would be appreciated, too!)

As far as posting goes, I hope this thread won't remain dormant for long. I still have some pictures I want to photograph and post. However, I can't do the photographing by myself -- not yet, at least :) -- and life has been a tornado of activity lately.

(*sigh* Digital art is becoming more and more attractive!)

@ Jason:

Umm...I dunno if there's a worldwide competition. I doubt it, since this a competition among Christian schools. But, if there was a worldwide competition, I know I'd be creamed! LOL

@ Pottsie...er, I mean, Topsite:

Just curious, but why'd you change your username? :^:

@ Pottsie...er, I mean, Topsite:

Just curious, but why'd you change your username? :^:

I'd be happy to answer that question Emalin. Well I've had Pottsie as my Username here for a year and I was becoming bored of it. I thought of Topsite, being an anagram of Pottsie and requested a name change and here I am now.

Anyway, I'm looking foward to your next piece of art work.

Edit: My personal opinion for what you should use next is the Pastel Flower.

Congrats! You really deserve it :thumbsup:

As for what to submit to the other competition, well your art teacher is certainly the best placed person to answer this. He/she is the expert and may also have a good insight as to what the judges will be looking at. I'm no art expert. I just know a tiny bit because my mom was a painter.

My personal favorite is the pastel flower. I just love everything in this work The portrait is also terrific (although there is something a little odd with the eyes but it's very minor) and shows the finesse of your drawing (in French I'd say "the finesse of your trait de crayon" but I am not sure how to translate this expression in English) and your ability to make shadings (and the hair is incredible).

Best of luck in the next contest! :)

• 1 month later...

Time for an update! ;)

First, thank you guys again for the comments. Your encouragement helps a lot. :D I've talked to my teacher about which piece to send to the national competition. Her consensus (as well as that of my fellow students) is that I should send "Charcoal Man" (the name I've given him in his anonymity :^:). It's rather funny, since everyone online voted for the pastel flower! I guess it looks better photographed. Everyone who has actually seen the pieces has favored Charcoal Man! :)

So, I think it's Charcoal Man who will be going to the nationals. Just a little over a month from now! When the time comes, I'll keep y'all updated.

As for the current state of play, school (and life in general) has been a whirlwind lately. So much so that my art is restricted to the biweekly, 2-hour lessons! I'm not getting much done. :( I do have a few pieces that can be photographed and posted. I finished a watercolor portrait a couple of weeks ago; I still have those old collages my friend laid out for me; AND I remembered an abstract portrait that's been collecting dust for two years. I hope to ask my dad to teach me how to photograph them. That way, I can do so whenever I have a free afternoon. :^:

SIDENOTE -- Ever wonder what it would've been like if Padme had been a Jedi? ;) When I found this wallpaper by Rabittooth, I was inspired to make a custom avatar from it. I tried out some fancier effects this time, and boy was it a blast! :D Here it is...along with its darker version. *shiver*

Padme-JediCustom.jpgPadme-SithCustom2b.jpg

The dark one, eh? You surprise me!

*pause*

Actually...no you don't. :D I really don't care which one I use. What would be cool is if I could give Padme purplish veins, like Dark-sided characters in KOTOR. The trick would be making them look realistic.

Ooh! *squeal* Now I have a project!

• 10 months later...

OMGNOWAYAREYOUKIDDINGME!!!!!!!

I actually have new stuff to post!

And for once, it's STAR WARS stuff!!! :D :D :D

This 'un is a sketch of Anakin Skywalker that I made while the DVD of Star Wars III was paused on this scene. The sketch was done in pencil, then fooled around with using Corel Photo-Paint.

Emalin_AnakinWeeping2.jpg

I wonder though, do I have to post all Star Wars art in a separate thread? Seeing as I have only four SW pieces, 'twould seem superfluous. :p

I doubt if you would have to create a seperate thread. This one is titled your various artwork anyway, and not just "non-Star Wars" stuff thread and .... stuff.

Anyhooo .... Nice drawing. What scene was it? I just can't picture the emotion in his face that would be able to tell me. It seems to me that he's hurt, sad and angry all at the same time, which is great, don't get me wrong.

Nice detailing. Use of shadows around his eyes provide the illusion of anger and sadness, I think. Overall it's a very good picture. Perspective is good and the symmetry is also good so nothing that harms the picture was done as far as I can see.

AWESOME WORK!!!! :D

Thanks, fellas. :) I appreciate your in-depth critique, Mr_BFA. You seem to know your stuff. If you ever see anything in my artwork that could be improved upon, PLEASE let me know. I'm still young and still learning!

All right, another SW piece. This one is my personal favorite: a slightly cartoony sketch of Padme from Episode III. Believe it or not, the actual sketch is fairly small, but my digital camera sized it up quite nicely. Again, I also messed around with it in Corel Photo-Paint. (Artsy computer programs are WAY too much fun!)

Emalin_PadmeWorried2.jpg

Archived