Home

[NSW ART] Emalin's Various Artworks

Emalin

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, guys! I have a story I want to tell you. It's a story about art, so I think it fits here. ;)

Once upon a time, before I had even heard of my current art class, much less started attending, a young man named Robert was a member of the class. He and the Teacher went to a local art museum, where they saw a gorgeous piece of work with the theme "all things art". This work so inspired Robert that he began his own piece with a similar theme -- art and the creative process. This piece, though on a very large canvas, progressed beautifully, and promised to become a grand masterpiece.

One day, however, Robert got married. He left art class and, unfortunately, left his masterpiece unfinished. For four long years, it languished in a corner, waiting for its maker to come back and complete it. But he never did.

Finally, a year after I started attending art class, Robert remembered his masterpiece and how sad and incomplete it was. In an act that shall forever be celebrated by members of the art class, he deeded the piece over to the Teacher, with instructions that it at last be completed. I had had my eyes on Robert's incomplete masterpiece ever since I joined art class, so I was especially ecstatic. Bubbling with ideas, I approached the Teacher, who gave me permission to pursue the aforesaid ideas.

Now there is untold joy in my heart, for I have learned that dreams do come true. I have been given the great privilege of touching Robert's masterpiece, and I am sure that my classmates and I, with some brainstorming and a bit of patience, can bring his masterpiece to completion.

Haha. Ok, so that was a little dramatized, but it's still awesomely TRUE! See below for pictures! (Mind you, none of this work is mine until the fourth picture.)

This is the whole thing. Can you tell it's BIG?

Creativity-WIPsmall.jpg

Close-up of the bottom half. This represents the nitty-gritty aspect of artmaking -- the rulers, the sketches, the models, not to mention the sheer tenacity.

Creativity-BottomHalf_small.jpg

Close-up of the middle/top half. This represents the creative side of artmaking, with the majestic pose, the color wheel behind his head (which still needs a lot of work!), and the colors flying out of his fingers.

Creativity-MiddlePortion_small.jpg

The stars at the top (unfinished) are being added by me to symbolize another aspect of artmaking -- how we, as artists, are imitating the God of the Universe when we create. He created the stars, the cosmos, everything. Our drive to create things of beauty is a reflection of His own nature.

Creativity-MiddleandTop_small.jpg

So, yes. I'm excited excited exciteeeeedddd. Honestly, I don't think I've ever been so pumped about an art piece before! :D I hope to take more WIP shots in the future, 'cuz I think it'll take a long time to finish this baby. But, yeah, it'll be a real learning experience!

I'm afraid this means Erulameon won't be done for a while, though. Teehee... :xp:

Ok, I was going to wait a while before posting something else, but...

AHHHHHHHHH I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is my first realistic Atton drawing EVARRRR! *squees and jumps up and down* :D :D :D

Emalin_k2DarkAttonAirbrushb2.jpg

Here we see the scoundrel falling to the Dark Side. Look closely... can you see the animal emerging? :ohdear:

I listened over and over to "Animal I Have Become" by Three Days Grace while drawing this. An Atton song if ever I heard one:

So what if you can see the darkest side of me?

No one will ever change this animal I have become

Help me believe it's not the real me

Somebody help me tame this animal

See what I mean? :^:

I really welcome criticism on this one, particularly on the shading. If you see any glaring inconsistencies and/or improvements that could be made, please let me know. (Though, fyi, the sleeve is supposed to look that way. Reminiscent of being torn by an animal's claws)

Oh. My. Word. That is AMAZING! I love the jackal/wolf/demon creature in his shadow. And his fingers beginning to become gnarled and twisted, reminiscent of Gollum. And his hair graying slightly. And the slight hint of color in his eye, drawing all attention to that sinister glance. And the mottling on his face, looking as if he's almost turned, but not quite. And the ever-so-slight sneer, as if he's looking at the Exile, despising her for everything she stands for. That is one of the few really realistic-looking pictures of Atton I've seen! I'm going to have to go read Consumed again!

Wow! Anni, you saw just about everything there was to see in that pic! The eyes, the fingers, the creature in his shadow... I was afraid nobody would notice it all?! :eek: Thank you!!

LOL. Ok, now I'm really, REALLY happy, knowing this pic made you want to read "Consumed" again. :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thank you very much, ZimmMaster. :)

Ok, time for an update. Here's another Atton piece, drawn for a contest over on deviantART. The contest theme was "Atonement" (perfect for Atton). Basically what we're seeing here are the ghosts that haunt Atton everywhere he goes: the Jedi he killed. He can't remember any of their names or faces, but they're still there, his silent accusers, always reminding him of his need for redemption.

I had lots of fun with this one!

Emalin_Atonement.jpg

I love this picture, Em. This has got to be one of your greatest in my opinion.

Especially how you have percieved Atton in such a clearer light, and his memories in the dark and gloomy area. It gives it a whole new meaning to macabre. It's almost scary to look at those expressionless faces! And some don't even HAVE faces!!!

But I really like the fact that you have everyone hooded, except for one person. And was just wondering if that was supposed to be someone in particular or what?

I think you've had enough practice at drawing Atton that you have perfected his symmetry and can draw him in any situation - that, IMO, is fantastically awesome!

Once again, great work Em!

A flawless piece of art from a flawless artist.

I look forward to what you will bring next!!!

Thanks a bunch, guys!

But I really like the fact that you have everyone hooded, except for one person. And was just wondering if that was supposed to be someone in particular or what?

It just kinda happened that way. I didn't want all of them to be hooded, and I thought I would draw one or two others without their hoods, but then I...uh, forgot. And I was in a rush to get it done, so I had to let it go. :xp: If I redrew this piece, I would make the female Jedi hoodless. The male Jedi isn't supposed to be anyone in particular, but she could be the Jedi that 'saved' Atton. (And in my mind she sorta kinda already is.)

I think you've had enough practice at drawing Atton that you have perfected his symmetry and can draw him in any situation - that, IMO, is fantastically awesome!

D'aww! :D Well, I forgot to note that I used references for both of my realistic Atton pics. This last one especially, since it was the first time I ever tried drawing Atton's profile! I had to erase it at least a dozen times to get it right. :fist: But, yeah, after having drawn him as much as I have, I do feel more confident about it. I don't feel confident enough yet to try drawing him without some sort of reference, but I hope to someday be able to do so.

Once again, great work Em!

A flawless piece of art from a flawless artist.

I look forward to what you will bring next!!!

Thank you so much!!!

• 1 month later...

Hello! I come bearing news. Some of my friends and I are embarking on a 100-Theme Challenge for the year 2009. (A little late to be getting started, I know!) This means you can expect several little drawings from me in the near future, though probably not 100. The rule is we can tackle each theme with a drawing, OR a drabble if we prefer. (Boy, am I relieved :p)

Anyway, as of yesterday, I've completed my first drawing for the challenge. The theme was "green tea", and this was the first image that popped into my mind.

A monk in his happy place

:D

GreenTea.jpg

I like to imagine that he's swaying back and forth while humming a little ditty.

Something about "yummy" and "tummy". ;)

Archived