Home

[NSW ART] Emalin's Various Artworks

Emalin

This is where I post the outcomes of my artistic endeavors. Everything I have right now is non-SW, but SW-themed creations may come later. :^:

TODAY'S POST: The lovely lady Arwen from the Lord of the Rings movies. I've always loved this shot of her, with all the emotion in her eyes. So I set out to capture it if I could. This was done in simple, run-of-the-mill drawing pencils. (EDIT: I've also posted the photo I drew from.)

Emalin_Arwen2.jpg

ArwenCloseupRequiemDress.jpg

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, guys. :)

TODAY'S POST: Not the most exciting subject matter (I prefer drawing people!), but a challenge nevertheless. This was my first attempt at watercoloring, finished early this year. I call it "Idyllic Life."

Emalin_IdyllicLife2b.jpg

Thank you, Pottsie! Yes, it's a perspective drawing, actually done while looking at a still life set up on the table in front of me.

What's up next? Why, I'm afraid I can't tell you. It has to be a surprise. ;) But I can tell you that I currently have four more pieces to post. After that, I will upload others as I do them and/or photograph them.

Really good work on both pieces of art! The drawing of Arwen is fantastic, and I recognized who it was instantly. Terrific shading work, good prespective (the eyes seem a tiny bit off somehow; I find eyes and hands to be the hardest things to draw), and the hair looks so real that I think I could reach out and touch it. The water color is amazing too; almost good enough to eat! I can't wait to see some more of your work.

Cheers!

Torthane

Thanks for the detailed comment, Torthane. I appreciate it very much! :^: You're right in saying Arwen's eyes are a little off. Apparently, some of my initial shading on the left eye got lost as I deepened the shadows, and I didn't catch it. It was only brought to my attention after the piece was matted and shrink-wrapped! As a consequence, I couldn't fix it, no matter how badly I wanted to. :(

Shows you just how much I have to learn, right?

@ CSI below

Thank you! (I'm telling you that a lot lately. There should be more synonyms for that word, I think. :lol: )

^ LOL! :lol:

TODAY'S POST: Another portrait, completed this fall. This time, I have no idea who it is -- just some random celebrity, I guess -- and I don't have the photo to post, either. This was my first attempt at charcoal pencils. (I just realized something...I've never done a portrait in color! EEK! Must amend that!)

Emalin_CharcoalMan2.jpg

Another incredibly portrait! The lighting is really fantastic on this one, and the eyes are really cool too! Amazing how you can use a reletively rough medium like charcoal and make the eyes shine like that. How long on average does it take you to make these wonderful pieces? I'm looking forward eagerly for more!

Wow! Thanks again, everyone!

@ Pottsie

Michael Jackson?! :lol: You're right, he does look a bit like him...but, I assure you, in the photo he wasn't NEARLY as white.

It's probably the charcoal that makes this portrait more striking than the Arwen pic. It's bold with lots of contrast, which is why charcoal is such a great medium.

@ Grey Master

Another look-alike! I do see Han Solo in this guy!! Maybe Harrison Ford and Michael Jackson are relatives, and this fellow is their long-lost cousin??

@ Torthane

Well...I usually work for short bursts over an extended period of time. Probably because most of my pieces are done during my bi-weekly art lesson. :) I worked on this charcoal piece for a two hour session every two weeks. From start to finish, it took about two months to complete.

By the way, you comment on things that I would also notice about a drawing. Are you an artist, yourself?

@ the Skywalkers (ha ha!)

Thank you both for commenting!!!

EDIT: @ CSI below

LOL! You're just fine, CSI. (Ha, that rhymed!)

TODAY'S POST: This is a color pencil piece I call "Ruby Glass." I did it about two years ago -- again, from a still life. What I strove for most is detail. However, I started a little too big, and the picture ended up going off the page (as you can see!). I got dinged for it in an art competition. But, hey, you guys can think of it as "hinting at a world outside of the picture." :lol:

(NOTE: The photo was accidentally taken at an angle, so...if this looks slanted...that's why.)

Emalin_RubyGlass2.jpg

^ You don't like how I phrased that, do you, Anakin? *sigh* Sorry. I promise I won't do it again. ;)

After this last post, I have only two more pieces to post. Well, maybe two sketches after that...but we'll have to see. Then it's back to the drawing board for me. (Literally!)

Archived