Home

[NSW ART] Emalin's Various Artworks

Emalin

Very , very nice ... wish I had your talent for portraits , thats the only thing I fear to draw , I succesfully suck in that :)

Just one question : what size of paper is that on ? A4 ? A3 ? or is it custom size ?

Just curious , cause my scanner here at home is to small I can't go bigger then A4 ... *kicks the thing *

Anyway , how long have you been doing art-school ? ( darn two questions ? )

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Silly boys! :xp: Don't worry, I don't mind answering questions.

@ Quanon

Thank you! But, I'm not very good at action shots, which you are -- I looked! :D I like your style. It's slightly anime-ish, and it looks good messy. As I said, messy can be a technique, especially with sketches. Do you have more artwork to post? I would LOVE to see it!

The paper I used is standard printer paper, believe it or not. It works for everything pencil, but nothing else. :^: I put it in a clear paper protector (you can see the shine if you look closely enough), and my dad photographed it with a digital camera, so we didn't use a scanner.

About art school, I've never been to one! I take private lessons locally...and I know that sounds sooooooo special, but it really isn't. :) I may go to an art college in the future, though. That depends on what direction I'm led in my career.

How long have you been drawing?

Been drawing since I was a little toddler ( make that 5 year old )

But I got serious lessons when I was 13 , I started in my Art-school study thingy , don't know the name for it in english . I had normal lessons to ; like math ( very boring ) ; english , french ...

Now I'm doing games-devellopment : Includes almost everything involved about games : programming , desinging -> concept-art , 3D moddeling ( animating as well ) ...

Its my first year , so don't expect a Kotor 3 of me :p:lol:

Since you got me fired up I'll see if I can post some not Sw related art .

edit : :lol: Darn ENGLISH ! and not blaming some one , even if it was true it was not my intention to go point a finger at some one here on LF , darn ENglish ! :lol: ( blaming my insuperior knowledge of this english to express my self correctly )

If you mean 'fired' as in 'fired up' (or excited), cool. If you mean 'fired' as in 'I lost my job', then please don't blame that on any other forumites. Thanks, Jae

And keep up the work !!! these silly boys are dying to see more !!!

Oh man! I almost went into cardiac arrest when I saw your latest portrait! Why are you hanging around here with us bums? (well, I'm a bum anyway) You should be going to art conventions to speak or illustrating bestsellers or something! If what I said above didn't make it clear, I am in awe of this portrait. Everything about it is flawless, the shading, the sorrow in her face, the tensed muscles in her neck, even the cool border all add up to make this a true masterpiece. Thank you for sharing it with us!

@ Quanon

Been drawing since I was a little toddler ( make that 5 year old )

Hee-hee! Sounds like me! Though my drawings then were little more than stick figures with some flesh slapped on 'em.

But I got serious lessons when I was 13 , I started in my Art-school study thingy , don't know the name for it in english . I had normal lessons to ; like math ( very boring ) ; english , french ...

So I take it that English isn't your native language? And yes, I also find math to be VERY boring. (zzzzzzzzz)

Now I'm doing games-devellopment : Includes almost everything involved about games : programming , desinging -> concept-art , 3D moddeling ( animating as well ) ...

Its my first year , so don't expect a Kotor 3 of me :p:lol:

Oh, bummer! I thought that was why you were fiddling with the Darth Sion model! *pouts*

:^: Anyway, kidding aside, that is the neatest career to be in...though one of the hardest, I imagine.

@ Torthane

Oh man! I almost went into cardiac arrest when I saw your latest portrait! Why are you hanging around here with us bums? (well, I'm a bum anyway) You should be going to art conventions to speak or illustrating bestsellers or something! If what I said above didn't make it clear, I am in awe of this portrait. Everything about it is flawless, the shading, the sorrow in her face, the tensed muscles in her neck, even the cool border all add up to make this a true masterpiece. Thank you for sharing it with us!

Wow, thanks, Torthane! I'm glad you think so about the portrait, and I'm honored that you think I should speak at conventions (oh, the stage fright! *cringe*) But, Torthane, I don't think of you as a "bum," nor do I think so of anyone. I enjoy hanging out with you guys. We're all human beings here, and only human beings.

I know I've been given a gift -- but that's what it is, a gift. I can take no credit for it. All I can do is discover why God gave it to me, so that I can use it to honor Him.

He redeemed me, after all. :^:

I combined your double posts--it helps save room in a thread and looks less cluttered. If you need to add a comment, please use the edit function (on the lower right of your post) and add the comment into your previous post. Thanks for helping keep the forums tidy. --Jae

Okay...I am wilting fast after a long day. So, I will go ahead and post the next pic, even though it hasn't been twenty-two hours since the last one. LOL!

Next post will probably be in two days.

TODAY'S POST: I did this flower in the spring as a first attempt at pastels. Probably the most fun medium I have ever used! :^: I worked from a picture in a gardening magazine -- a picture I chose with my bedroom's color scheme in mind. If I'm going to hang this on my wall, it has to match the room, right?

Emalin_PastelFlower3.jpg

So CSI did that recoloring job for you, Pottsie? He did a good job!

No problem and thank you for the compliment.

Nicely done and I'm looking forward to more...Frankly, for me, I like your vase one more as I'm better off production designing than character designing...But it's just me.

@Pottsie below:

:Sigh: Pottsie, you're hopeless...

Nice !!! Your colored Paints are the best really , keep it up or something in that line :lol:

And you got it right English is not my language , allthough I had lessons in school , ( think where one of the few country's where they teach so much languages , but hey French is the second language here , so we have to learn it , :nut: )

Anyway , looks like those fan boys are totally going Insane !

Ah, yes they are, and they are spamming this thread an awful lot--so much so that I ended up pruning a lot of off-topic/spam posts (18 out of 80), which is one of my least favorite things to do here. I don't like giving out warnings for spam and you all don't like receiving them. Stay on topic and none of us will have to deal with that issue. However, if this thread continues to get dragged off topic, the offending parties will earn themselves public warnings for spamming.

Boys, don't give Emalin a hard time--Mama Jae gets very protective of the girls here, you know.

Yet another wonderful piece of art! For a first attempt at pastels you did an amazing job! I really liked pastels too the few times I used them, but I still perfer the better control given by pencils for portrait drawing (which is pretty much all I do besides concept sketches and stuff). I really haven't used pastels enough to apraise any particular parts of your picture, but I can say that as a whole it is stunningly lush.

I really loved what you said about your talent for art being a gift, and I am so glad that you have used your gift to glorify God in this way, showing the beauty of his creation. And thank you for blessing my life; everytime I see a new work here it puts a smile on my face!

Hey , just wondering what do you use some kind of fixer-spray on your pastel and charcoal drawings to make sure they don't "change" any more when they are fininshed .

Cause I like pastels for coloring and charcoal is fun to draw with ( big is the word though for charcoal ) but if can't fix them they would be come a mess and my scanner to :lol: ; Just wondering what you use ?

@ Jae

I'm sorry this thread needed so much pruning! I'll try to be careful in the future. Thanks for taking care of it, though, "Mama Jae." :^:

No worries--it's the boys who need to behave and quit spamming. :) --Jae

@ Quanon

Just to let you know, I didn't think you were blaming me when you said "fired" instead of "fired up." I thought you were teasing me, so I was just playing along...but I guess it looked like I was upset. :( I'm sorry about the misunderstanding.

Oh, and for pastel and charcoal, I use an art fixative spray. I think you can get it in any art supply store, but -- since the spray belonged to my teacher -- I'm not familiar with the brand name.

@ Torthane

Thank you! I haven't used pastels since this pic (I'm afraid I don't have any), but I share your sentiments on pencils lending "better control."

And I'm glad my art has blessed you. If nothing else, I want my art to add beauty to others' lives. I used to think my art couldn't glorify God unless it had a distinctly God-centered purpose or theme. Then a friend told me that, in creating beauty, I was honoring the Creator of beauty. That changed my whole perspective! :D

@ Anakin

I haven't been bothered by anyone at all. I've enjoyed hearing what everyone has to say, on-topic or off-topic...but I guess I got carried away. And we need to help make Jae's job a little easier.

Thanks, though!

Hope this doesn't count as double posting....

Nope, it's not double posting. 2 comments close together is, but a comment and an art piece, or a comment and a new chapter in a fic, are not considered double posting. --Jae

TODAY'S POST: This one I did while looking at a very shiny gumball machine...for an hour every week...over a period of two months. *huff puff* I need to learn to work faster! :lol: As you can probably tell, it's done in simple drawing pencils. I call it "A Childhood Memory." (Sentimental, yes. But the alternative "Gumball Machine" is just plain boring.)

I may have more things to post next week, but that remains to be seen.

Emalin_AChildhoodMemory2.jpg

Wow, I like it...But I have a question: why do you want to draw it? I know it's a dumb question, but frankly, I think when you're drawing something, you have something to say to your drawing's reader...IMO, you want to resurrenct our lost childhood history? Then you did a very, very good job. I have absolute nothing to comment on.

@Jae: Hope this is not spamming... No, it's a legitimate question about the art, which is not spamming. :)

That glass glossy effect is awesome , do you blend out the pencel with your hands or do you do it the 'hard' way be carefully criss-crossing the lines ( sorry my english is failing me today ) like you do with inkt-pen .

ANyway youre damn good !!!

And I wasn't insulted :lol: . Just edited my post for 'mama Jae ' so I could clearifyy my thinking some what better as it can get a bit ' Wonky ' .

@Emalin: Very nice gumball machine! My grandparents had one that looked just like that in their house. The shading is fantastic (not that I would expect anything less from you) and there is a real feeling of depth and realness about the picture. I still like your portraits better, but this is probably your best drawing from a technical standpoint. Wonderful work as always!

@CSI: Perhaps it was a technical exercise to practice shading or prespective. I like drawing people best but sometimes it's good to draw something more mechanicle. If you only ever draw organics it can be tricky to then go and sketch a building or something.

Wow! Thanks again, everyone!

@ Anakin

LOL! :lol:

@ CSI

Torthane is right when he says this was a technical exercise. If my teacher left me to my own devices, I would probably draw people, people, people all the time.

@ Pottsie

You and Anakin are just alike!

@ Jason

Each gumball costs 25 cents plus $1.99 shipping and handling for having it mailed to you. :xp:

@ Quanon

I'm not sure how to describe the method I used to shade this piece. I didn't use my fingers; I used only my pencil, but did it as smoothly as I could, pressing harder on the pencil at darker areas.

And I'm so glad you weren't insulted. Sometimes I type without pondering how my words could be taken, though they're meant to be fun.

@ Torthane

It's always been imperative for me that each piece comes out looking deep and real. For that reason, I dislike doing abstract art. Though...now that I think of it...I do have an abstract portrait hanging out in my room somewhere. I need to take a picture of it soon.

In the meantime, my friend has some of my work. As soon as she can scan it and send it to me, I'll post it here. :^: Thanks again, everyone, for your continued encouragement!

EDIT: @ Pottsie below

Yeah, I'm afraid they will be black and white. A different drawing style, but still same ol', same ol'. They're drawings I did three years ago before I even got colored pencils.

Archived