Home

The One Year Thread 2007: XWA's Celibatic Boogaloo

Rogue Nine

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, a lieutenant is an officer, so you've got to have a college/university degree or diploma... And if you want to be a sergeant, well that's gonna take a few years too. The average age of E-5 sergeants in the US Army is 26, and you can figure that most of them joined when they were 18 or 19.

of course, if go to college, and fail out of OCS you are an E-5 :D

If you are even close to a degree get it and go OCS. You will get out of alot of the army's BS by not dealing with enlistment. OCS still sucks, my buddy is trudging though it right now, but hes making alot more going to 11Bang Bang school than the enlisted guys are, ALOT more

i joined when i turned 20. it's been..damn..about 3 years. hoping to go back soon. either as reservist mp or active duty mp. (military police) if not that MOS, something with intel. I was going to go to college for ROTC last time i went in, with the gi bill or whatnot, but this time just going in to be a soldier. I don't have any other plans for my future, and no bitchy girl such as what Zarg here has. (j/k :p ) Then again, I don't even know if i'm still egligable for military, as I failed the first time, so i'll need a waiver for that, and i'll also need a waiver for being a homeschooled highschool graduate. If I can't get those, then well...i don't know what I'll do.

Well,.. I saw the person I so carelessly leaked our vital intel to last week at work this afternoon. She didn't say anything that led me to believe she had been exposed to the fullness of the XWA experience.

From this I can only conclude:

A.) She hasn't come here yet...

or:

B.) She has come here, and was so deeply disturbed and traumatized by what she found that she is in deep denial and has set up a vault-like mental block just to cope.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards 'A'.

She didn't have the haunted, troubled look that I would expect from someone in a state of 'B'.

This lead me inevitably to another conclusion:

A.) She is too busy with work and/or life to take the time to check out a couple of questionable internet links e-mailed to her...

or:

B.) Was just never all that interested to begin with, and was feigning it in order to seem polite.

She seems to claim 'A'... yet I'm heavily leaning on 'B' for this one folks. If experience and history have shown us all just one thing... it is the very true fact that NOBODY has ever been so busy that they couldn't take the time to click on a questionable internet link at work. :dozey:

That's like 90% of the work day spent in front of a screen for most people!

So I...we... may have just lucked out on this one... whew!

Of course, she still has the links in her possession... she could choose to dredge up this info, and use it to blackmail me at a most inopportune time.

I must be cautious...

:joy:

Work was slow.

We had a guy in to inspect the safety of all the rigging of the building. Basically, we just stayed out of his way, and tried to just be handy if he needed anything answered.

He said we weren't in too bad of shape, all things considered (mainly the age of the venue...) but there were a lot of things we should replace and/or be paying attention to to really meet all the current codes.

He's going to write up a full report that we should have in a few weeks to act upon.

It's possible our entire venue will be razed to the ground in a couple of years, however.

I'm not sure how that is going to effect how we follow all the recommendations.

work was nothing today, another day down the ****ter. still, managed 100 pushups in half an hour before going in. about ran out of gas pulling out of the driveway, fortunately we have a gas station like 1/16 a mile from here, so i said give me an overdraft on my checking and put $28 in (full tank) hopefully it doesn't clear the bank til thursday evening....otherwise i be angry. o well!

went into work then and it was boring slow and the stupid printer decided to be lame and crash on us, but we fixed it and it was still slow...came home on my lunch, went back to work and then came back home...

got home, watched some of 24 seas 1 w/my sis and then messed on computer and managed to get galaxies back on with 2.5 gigs to spare. the installation files to world of warcraft took up about 3 gigs.

tomorrow my plans are to clean my room, basically put all my clothes away, workout, get my landlord to take a look at our water heater as the shower runs cold after 5 minutes of use (good for me as my sister doesnt have an excuse to take forever in the shower while i'm holding my bladder waiting to take a piss), and see if we can fit a washer on the kitchen sink faucet, as the cold water keeps dripping out of the handle like lame.

once that's all through i'm going to watch Dune, movie i'm borrowing from my landlord, i've never seen it before, apprarantly it's really good or something (2 and half hours long tho...) so i'll watch it.

My knees are still hurting like bad, when i kneel down to pick something up, it's embarrassing as they crack and pop. I don't know what i need to do to get that fixed, other than surgery which i will NOT have....no way someone is gonna take my kneecap off.......****ing ouch.

The David Lynch version of 'Dune'?

Ugh.

It has a couple of moments... but for the most part it's pretty bad if you ask me.

The extended cut is supposed to be a pretty vast improvement, but I haven't seen that one yet.

The Sci-Fi Channel mini-series version that came out a couple of years ago is far more accurate to the source material, even if the actors aren't as all 'A-List'.

I hope that's the version you have...

David Lynch was just the wrong director for that film, IMHO. How exactly do you go from something like "Eraserhead" to that, anyway?

Of course, the book is a massive epic... with far, far more ideas on every page than you could realistically hope to get up on screen in a 2 hour movie and still hope for it to make any kind of sense... so maybe I do need to forgive him that.

Still... it's one of the greatest sci-fi stories of all time, and one of my favorites. Seeing it botched like that has never quite left my system. Every time I hear of one of my favorite books ('Lord Of The Rings'; 'Hitchhiker's Guide'...) being made for silver screen I always have the same reaction: "God... I hope they don't pull a "Dune" on this one..."

(Oh... and for the record: I read the books after seeing the movie... so I had no preconceptions the first time I saw it. I still thought it sucked. Even more so now that I've seen the other version and read the first book through a couple of times.)

I read somewhere once that David Lynch was up for the director position for Return Of The Jedi at one point, but had to turn it down to work on Dune.

That would have been wrong. So very very wrong...

But if it's the Sci-Fi channel version: I approve. Not exactly perfect... but could be a lot worse.

Strange... Something just hit me: I was having an almost identical conversation about this with my co-worker (who is a massive and rabid David Lynch fan...) just a couple of moments before I let slip the information about the location of our secret hidden rebel base.

Hmmmmm...

i I don't have any other plans for my future, and no bitchy girl such as what Zarg here has. (j/k :p )

trust me, this is the good one, my ex is the bitchy one............ :king1:

the david lynch one has patrick stewart right? all the guys at work think that one is better than the Sci Fi one

People at work care not for my sci-fi geekdom. I think it's sad. .

I have not read Dune.... I know, I'm a bad monkey. I'm sorry. Do i have to turn in my geek card?

ALot of stuff for me to accomplish over the next few days. Post-Action plan for work, and set up and direct a new saftey team. Fun fun fun.

I haven't read it either, we are a bit young crankhead, we are not of the book generation! plus it was old when we were babies.

I live in sci fi geekdom at work. Popular topics on Monday morning are Friday's BSG and Dr. No or Who or whatever it is that I dont watch, and we used to of course discuss Enterprise.

the david lynch one has patrick stewart right? all the guys at work think that one is better than the Sci Fi one

Patrick Stewart was the one good bit of casting.

Kyle Mac-whatshisname and Sting were the most glaring bits of really bad casting.

The guys at work are wrong.

But I guess it's all about what you grew up with. If they like that one, good for them. I just always found it a slow-moving, muddy, confusing, badly acted and scripted mess with terrible visual effects and soundtrack...

But maybe that's just me...

Let us know what you think about the A/B comparison, 15.

Well, it's much easier to follow, since it has time to introduce all the characters (and there are a hell of a lot of them!) and play out the story properly.

The scenery backdrops and some of the F.X. do show a little bit of their "made-for-T.V." origins though... but the story is a hell of a lot more clear.

Called and talked to my friend (the one in the air force) today, which was cool as i haven't talked to him since like october, hard to catch him on his day off.

I was on galaxies for a bit, rushed in with a bunch of friends and kicked some rebels out of the weapons facility on Talus. They kept coming back for more, so we killed them a few more times, then I logged off for supper w/my parents, then when they left my landlords called and said i could borrow the movie 'Crank' that they rented, just got done watching it. It was pretty cool, not something I would wanna watch w/my parents though. :p

Now i'm probably going to go work out for about an hour or so.. I gotta lose about 30 pounds...i think my weight could have something to do with my knees being sore, it snowed so i guess my plans of running are foiled. Regardless, i'm going to buy a new pair of sneakers on thursday. Wish the damn glucosamine stuff would kick in and do its job!!! :(

Got a few things done at work yesterday: We finally had some crew show up to work. Only 2 of them, though... the giant list of projects I had that would have taken 20 people 3 weeks of working 8-hour days to get through has had to be modified somewhat, as we only have to the end of the week to do any of these projects before we get too busy again. I had to prioritize things pretty severely.

I just not better hear anything, not one damn thing, out of any of their mouths that they need more money or haven't been working enough once they all bother to report back in... :rolleyes:

I personally spent the day cleaning and re-organizing the office somewhat. I only got about half-way through it before the dust really started choking me and making me wheeze and cough worse than I already had been. So now it's a much worse state than when I started... but it should be easy to pick up where I left off today and finish.

Once home I tackled a new mp3 project. I managed to barrage some more inboxes before my e-mail client started reporting that the attachments were too big. Now I either have to convert them down a notch or 2, or break them into smaller chunks. I guess that's what I'll do when I get home tonight.

It's nice to have a project of some sort to keep me occupied when I get home... keeps me from just parking my ass in front of the TV for 5 or 6 hours until I get too tired and give up and go to bed. Plus, it helps to keep my mind off how lame and isolated my life is at the moment. At least it feels like I'm getting something accomplished that other people might just garner some joy from...

I woke up in the middle of the night with a really nasty coughing fit... but since then I haven't been coughing nearly as much or as badly. Perhaps I managed to clear out whatever was causing the tickle in my throat and the heaviness and pressure in my chest.

Of course, that's bound to all change once I start up moving stuff around in my office again... :rolleyes:

I'm going to call today about getting my Strat overhauled completely. I really can't live with it in the condition that it's in right now. I don't know when it became my most-used guitar... but I've really missed it since it fell apart last month.

I might also buy another one anyway... I still want an Eric Johnson signature model. Doing both might set me back a bit... but I think I can handle it at this point.

I worked on a long continuing project at work all afternoon. This month marks one year of me working on it.

We are slowly but surely distributing a true mesh open source wireless network in and around our downtown area to help promote business and commerce. ITs been ALONG TIME coming.

Here is the site they have with info:

http://www.cuwin.net/projects/urbana

It was extremely frustrating as a year ago, when I started, there was basically no support from CUWiN, I was given ALOT of informkation, most of which wasnt really correct, a lot of equipment, and told to make it work. It was the first time in about 3 years that I was touching UNIX again, and I certainly hadnt messed with anything advanced in about 4. Was way way way in over my head, I toiled and toiled and toiled for a few months, until the CUWiN project expanded and got some new employees, and this really got the ball moving.

Now I can sit at lunch in the mall across the street from my office and surf the net and check email.

We have the mesh backbone up all over downtown, but are now begaining to setup the front end that provides usable wireless internet connections. Until now people sorta had to make due on their own, were told it was there and had FAQ's on setting up a linksys WRT54G to be the front end.

Now we are putting out equipment and really making it usable, so its now getting pretty cool.

Anything else I could type can all be found on the CUWiN site and probably better explained there.

oh, I started a class wednesday, back to school after a year and a half off.

Javascript, looks to be pretty boring for the first month, but this is half review for me and is a ramp up to get me going on learning ASP SQL and getting my microsoft certifications so I can eventually get a more administrative job and move away from front line tech BS.

it reminds me that I dislike school, so much busy work and stupid crap to put up with. Atleast my Prof is pretty laid back and old school.

If things continue on the route they have been with the current gf(its been just shy of a year), the ball will be rolling for the end of dating life in October next year, its wierd for me to think that this early to me, after a 4 year, but I guess everything is so much better than the last relationshiop, and really every relationship I have been in before, far far far more compatible emotionally, physically, mentally, just everything. This is sort of prompting my education, shes a chicago subrub girl that cant imagine not living up there when married and having kids there because its 'so much better' than downstate(ok so I lied a few posts up, this is our other point of friction)

I realize that to be marketable in the incredibly competitive fast moving job market up there, I will be forced to get certified to even get interviews there, because for some reason experience doesnt mean jack

so back to school it is, sadly, taking night classes, I am prolly the second youngest person in the 15 person class........most everyone else is gray or dying their hair to hide it.

woot 10 days and 100 posts! twice as many as we had at this point last year, and the whole year we averaged just over 2 posts a day over the whole year

Archived