Home

The Ninth Year

I say, I say

It has been 9 years since the release of Grim Fandango, stating the obvious I know; but its interesting to think that such a community as this has lasted the best part of 9 years despite any hope of a revival in the form of a sequel or such.

So the question I ask is how has Grim Fandango 'struck' out at you and made you continue playing/discussing this game for the last 9 years, or perhaps sooner if you're a new fan to the game?

It's witty, original, the storyline is unique, the in-game music is brilliant, which is perhaps my favourite aspect of the game and it doesnt require much skill, its a game you can just pick up and play whenever you feel like it.

There are storylines which are not explored or talked about in-game, leading people to continue to discuss their theories on the different aspects, such as why Manny is reaper, or what happens when people are sprouted.

Also, its one of my favourite games, so its easy to talk about it for a long time.

Well, aside from being my favourite game of all time and having an incredible story, characters, music and so on, it's also the first adventure game that I played. Without GF, I would have never learnt to know Broken Sword, Monkey Island, Gabriel Knight and so many other titles. These games in turn turned my interest from anime/manga to western cartoons and comics.

Through GF, I've also made some very dear friends whom I would have never stumbled upon otherwise.

I guess it could be said that GF has affected me so much that it has become a part of my life. I can't imagine a world where I couldn't hop online and talk about the game with fellow fans. We're very lucky for having each other and this community. After watching several excellent animated movies (The Prince of Egypt, The Road to El Dorado and so on), I tried to find forums and fansites devoted to them, but it looks like I came some five years too late. Everything is dead and everyone has packed their bags.

Let's keep the GF spirit up and make sure that there'll always be a place for fans to hang out. :)

Like those above, GF is the best game i've ever played. The story ,style, music, characters, graphics, puzzles, humour, everything just make this game so special. It has some X factor about it that really touched me. And also this community is very friendly and supportive. Its somewhere where you be away for weeks and comeback without feeling out of the loop.

I read an article on Gamespot about Tim Burton's going to direct a movie name "Grim Fandango". I was very excited, but soon became sad because gamespot explained it's just only fake quote of Burton...

I'm ripping the jazz songs in year 2. My fav is the song outside Calavera's Cafe. I'm finding the poem of Calavera when he's looking at the moon.

I love the music from year 2 as well, especially the music that plays in Maximino's Office. I think the song you are referring to is Hi-Tone Fandango, which plays outside the cafe. Great song..

Maybe, but my pick are:

-End Credits!!!! Excellent with Mexico and sad violin style! My, Micheal z Land is a genius!

-Outside Calavera cafe: Jazz-y!

-New LSA HQ

I liked the music that first appeared when you came to Rubacava. So calm and nice with the small pieces of guitar playing with the ambient sounds. Don't know if anyone remember this though, since it wasn't part of the original soundtrack. Just a small piece that appeared there in the foggy Rubacava.

I liked the music that first appeared when you came to Rubacava. So calm and nice with the small pieces of guitar playing with the ambient sounds. Don't know if anyone remember this though, since it wasn't part of the original soundtrack. Just a small piece that appeared there in the foggy Rubacava.[/Quote]

ScummREV will help you to find out!

See, a great game brings people together when they all love it for the same reasons, and just meeting new people with similar feelings helps to keep the game community alive and well...I could be wrong...could be just subliminal messages in the game to form a community...who knows...lol

I don't think any game will ever topple Grim Fandango as the one I admire most. Call it a mixture of unbelievable quality and nostalgia, or whatever you like, but the end result is an experience that I never fail to get fuzzy just thinking about. Even replaying the game last year reminded me how its magic hasn't faded, and just how masterfully produced it is in every single way.

I mean, it takes a really special game to keep people talking about it this many years after its release, and with such passion. It's just one of those games that makes you want to. heart.gif

I don't post here much, but I do lurk alot, so I'd just like to show my thanks that this game still does have a lively group of fans.

It has been my favorite game since I popped in the demo disc from an issue of PC Gamer magazine, and will continue to be my favorite game forever. I've yet to come across a game that just gets everything right, and does it in such a stylized and beautiful fashion the way GF has.

It's hard to believe that this game has been out for nearly half of my life. I have so many great memories of playing this game, that I hope I'll never forget.

It's immersive, it's surreal, it's the best game I've ever played even after all these years. To be honest, the sheer extent of the GF / LA community made the game all the more attractive. It's great to pop back here now and again and see the familiar names from years and years ago are still around and about :)

I have a few that earn permenant spots.

1. Grim fandango (it is just really good)

2. Starcraft (I just play it since all my friends play it

3. Jedi outcast (Im part of a clan)

The rest is junk. But the one I use the most lately is grimfandango

• 3 weeks later...

Now, I've known of this community for quite a while - after all, mixnmojo is, and sort of always was, the place on the net as far as Lucasarts Adventuregames goes. I never got around to joining. I'm not sure why. Perhaps I just never felt like it. I would read the site, I hung at Lucasfans a great deal too, but I avoided the forums. That's a different story though. I have joined now, but a week after becoming 21 on the 21st in the 21st century. Fate perhaps?

In any case, back in '98 I was a fairly hardcore scandinavian freeware player. You know those days, the dawn of the internet basically. We were still figuring out what it was to be used for and many a person started coming up with new ways to use the web to spread their artistic visions to the world. I was rather deeply into Brainchild Design, Jump 'n' Bump in particular, but also Sumo Hoppers, Liero and the like. You know, simple, DOS-based freeware.

I was also twelve years old and a swede. I had learned English in school for about two years, at a fairly slow pace, so I was still sorely lacking in the English language.

My best friend at the time, one with whom I was united by good taste, basically forced a gamedisc on me one day. He hadn't really done that before. Not that I could remember. I looked at it. Some skull-figure. I knew my friend was somewhat into the whole pirate-deal, so I figured it might have something to do with that. I asked him when I should bring it back, half expecting to be bored with it by tomorrow. He tells me I need not return it until I am done with it. Fine. I go home. I install the game. It did not take long before I was begging him for disc two.

As soon as I'd beaten the game I saved up what money I could save and bought the game, then I beat it again. Then I played through it to get proper saves at the right places. Then I kept playing from those spots, depending on what I felt like seeing at the time. I also tracked down any Lucasarts Adventure I could find, quickly falling for the Monkey Island series in particular.

I still hold up Grim Fandango as the greatest game of its age, perhaps the greatest game ever of its genre, and my favourite game of all time.

It has influenced me on so many levels I cannot begin to describe it.

It truly is a testament to what can be done with a game.

It is something that should be brought to the masses and something that should be known. It deserves to be acknowledged, like many other great works of fiction, for the greatness that it is. Perhaps even more so, with the still present struggle for electronic games to gain recognition as an artform.

Grim Fandango is an inspiration and so it shall remain.

For as long as we live it shall never be forgotten.

I'm always finding new things when I play Grim Fandango which makes playing through the game over and over again just as interesting. GF has so many layers that discussing it never gets old and while browsing these forums I'm finding new points to mull over.

It's just perfect, amazing, a masterpiece and thinking about it is bringing back warm, fuzzy memories.

'tis how I always feel Klia. Its appeal somehow never seems to fade, despite how much I've played and thought about it. I can't say that for many other games, with the exception of the Monkey Island trilogy (though not to the same extent).

You could try playing it in another language to get another kind of feel. I'm planning to get a German version as soon as I get a little money. You may also put it away for a while, let it get dusty and then play it again.

It's been over three years since I last played Year 3 and Year 4, and I've forgotten lots. I'm staying away from it a while longer and then playing it again to see what it feels like.

Archived