Home

Accents!

Samuel Dravis

So I ran across this accent tester thingy, and it made me wonder what sort of accents you guys have (and how yours compares to the thingy). So, out with it! Mine is:

Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.

That's pretty accurate. I live near Austin, Texas and very few people have noticeable accents here. About the most accent I have is the sort of words I might use, particularly "y'all" and "coke" to refer to any soft drink. :p However, if you go either east or west much you start having people with incomprehensible accents...

What American accent do you have?

Your Result: The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

It's true, except I don't use Chicagoan slang.

Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.

Makes sense, most Coloradans don't have noticeable accents.

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

I've got a Boston accent and've been made fun of for it. Hmm.

Your Result: Philadelphia

Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you're not from Philadelphia, then you're from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington. if you've ever journeyed to some far off place where people don't know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard.

Funny I live in Western New York... no where near Philly

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

I am from Chicago... but I don't sound like people from Wisconsin. :D

I'd like to see a test where you actually speak into a microphone and make vowel sounds and say words and such to see whether you have an accent or not.

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

Yeah I didn't think I really had an accent either. I've lived in a lot of places so I've picked up different accents and mannerisms from everywhere.

Hmm, that would be right. Say, does it count if you spent lots of time in the north and then spent time in the south killing any accent you might have had before?

"'You have a Midland accent' is just another way of saying 'you don't have an accent.' You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas."

I'm from Houston. :p

"You have a good voice for TV and radio."

Hey, I've always thought that too. :p

"North Central" is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot.

I've never been mistaken for a Canadian, although when I was in Texas 5 years ago I constantly got "You aren't from around here are yah?". I was born in Missouri but moved out a little after I turned a year old. Honestly I don't sound like anybody from Fargo.

This is a really vague answer. It basically says they dunno where I'm from. I am, in fact, from the South, very medium-sized city.

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio."

The second closest was The West, so they're fairly accurate.

Pretty true. I live in Michigan so I'm right by the great lakes, and I call pop pop :p

Makes sense, I live in northern Ohio. Although, I got a bit confused in the words and pronouncing them because I actually thought about it...kinda screws me up.

But, I also call pop, "pop." So...

And yeah, I do have that radio-like voice.

I love Boston accents BTW. Southern accents kinda start to piss me off after a while...

LOL.

- PR-0927

Your Result: The Midland

I actually have a cross between a Brit and an Indian accent.

Archived