Home

Standard Lightsaber

Rockstar

Hey everyone,

i've finished the game on normal with a standard lightsaber (blue) lightside Jedi Weapons Master and despite what guides i've read since say, it was still very easy.

I don't see why people recommend against the standard lightsaber. To me it is by far the coolest. Nothing is cooler than a knight armed only with his sword (i thought it was [licentious] how NONE of the masters carried a single saber).

Please refrain from using the word gay like you have here, some can find that offensive. Thanks. -RH

with the dualing bonuses, equipment

For an indestructable warrior: Jedi Guardian -> Weapons Master

regularly cast Enlightenment: [Master Barrier+Master Speed+Master Valor]

You and your lightsaber are now immortal...

ONLY use flurry and standard attacks to finish coz you wont need to use anything else. Your strength should be over 30 and you will hit EVERYTHING. a standard hit will kill most Sith Assassins when you have cast enlightenment and if i remember correct 2 flurries (maybe 3) killed both bosses.

DIAGNOSIS: Single Blade Saber Inferior? NO! atleast not enough for it to really come into effect in a normal game!

Anyone else in favour of standard sabers?

DIAGNOSIS: Single Blade Saber Inferior? NO! atleast not enough for it to really come into effect in a normal game!

Anyone else in favour of standard sabers?

Yes and No, as someone who does abit of sword fighting in their spare time (I would not claim to be an expert however); style, technique and type of Sword used depends on what is available. (an example of someone carrying different types of weapon, are the Samurai who tended to carry 2 or 3 swords.. The Katana (longest), Wakizashi and Tanto (smallest) blades, and they would be used at different times...Conditions, skill of individuals you are fighting and how many of them there are things considered when engaging opponents. Normally in TSL I use a single saber. However Imagine you are a Jedi and you are fighting say 10 Sith who are all skilled in Lightsaber combat... would you rather have 1 or 2 Lighsabers? or possibly a Double Bladed? Personally if a Jedi while engaging between 1-3 skilled individuals I would go with a single saber, however anything more than that I would want something more able to parry and deflect multiple strikes aimed at me. So personally I think it Depends on the battle situation as to what weapon is infact best. However in KotOR & TSL I tend to just us a Single Blade.

If I recall correctly, Master Vrook carried a single bladed lightsaber.
You recall correctly, and if I recall correctly it was Blue :)

I believe kavar did also.

Nah, he had 2 single Lightsabers... a Lighsaber form called Jar'Kai.

I like Single Saber. Largely because it's classic. Who didn't use a single saber in the movie? Darth Maul, who was born for combat and was a crazy Sith with an crazy unique lightsaber. And Anakin Skywalker, who happened to get his hands on a second lightsaber for a few seconds to help in out in a fight with a master swordsman. Realistically, it makes sense that you'd have better control over one blade, especially considering how unique lightsabers are. Although against many opponents, more blades would be helpful; I always figured that one of Maul's best advantages in his final fight was that he had enough blades to math his two opponents'.

But that's just style and opinion. Gameplay-wise, it doesn't even gimp you. By the later part of both games, you rarely have trouble hitting things, even dual wielding, so the single blade advantage there isn't really that important (but it is there and does affect things). But while either way, you'll be more or less hitting everything, single will make you less hittable yourself. The +3 actually is nice.

Also, with Master Speed and Flurry, you're getting a bonus 3 attacks per round, which frankly makes the one extra attack from the offhand a lot less significant, overall. (One extra attack up from two is a 100% increase in damage, 5 up from 4 is only another 25%)

Dual wield (but not double bladed) does give you the advantage of more crystals, which is indeed nice, but unless you're getting buffs to your stats or other special general effects, you're usually not achieving much more than just duplicating your first saber.

Don't get me wrong, dual wield is great, especially in this game, where the penalty can be minimal, I use it a lot, but in the end, single isn't noticeably worse or better than dual. It's close enough for personal preference to be the only important deciding factor, IMO.

Also, I don't think there's any other choice besides single for consulars. Well, I take that back, I can see why a LS consular could want dual, but certainly not DS consulars. The defense helps protect from the guy that made his save, and there's no reason to take the hit when your saber is not your main source of damage anyways (unless you're lightside, which is why dual then would make sense in that case).

No, dual sabers are ALWAYs better. Wow, single saber gives you +3 defense. Impressive. Given how powerful the lightsaber crystals are, 2 sabers are simply the best choice for everyone.

I still play with a single saber, because I just prefer the fighting style. However, in Kotor and TSL, dual sabers are superior. The games are very easy though, so one saber is very effective as well.

The only real advantage of single sabers is the increased chance for a critical strike. 17-20 (can be achieved with a crystal) along with powerstrike for x3 damage, along with shien lightsaber form for x4 damage is quite powerful.

I like all Lightsabers, but I've grown to like the single Saber more now, since they look less clumsy compared to having two Lightsabers or double bladed Lightsabers. I have my character have a single Lightsaber and other characters, like Bastila and Juhani have a different style Lightsaber.

There are nine lightsaber styles. Each correspond to a different situation. The first seven belong to the single blade. Shi-Cho is simple, and is good when dealing with enemies you can manuver around, such as battle droids. Makashi is elegant and best used when fighting multiple people with lightsabers. Soresu is the most defensive and is best used when dealing with blasters pointed at your head. Form IV Djem So is agressive and is best used when fighting a single opponent. Its counterpart, Shien, is a spin off that allows agressive behavior while deflecting blaster bolts.

Ataro (this is correct spelling) Form V, is excellent against bulky or slow enemies, though its reklesness can be used for more agile opponents. Niman, the counterpart of Jar Kai, is not a very proficient style at all, best used to intimidate or dispatch multiple weak opponents. Finally, Juyo/Vaapad is very precise and its slashes and strikes are seemingly random, making this style useful for tricky or skilled foes.

Jar Kai is the dual saber style, and should only be used when greatly outnumbered or outskilled. This style takes up a great deal of energy and practice because you must look out for the other blade. The final style that I dont know the name to is double bladed. This is the most deadly of all styles, but it takes years to practie and one should not attempt this style unless very proficient or very desparate.

My fav style is Djem So.

Although against many opponents, more blades would be helpful; I always figured that one of Maul's best advantages in his final fight was that he had enough blades to math his two opponents'.

That is not true. Darth Tyrannus kicks butt with a single blade against two jedi. One Jedi was the padawan that defeated Darth Maul (now a Jedi Master) and the other was the chosen one so Dooku had a much harder duel. Sure, Dooku was far more powerful than Darth Maul but this shows that number of blades means nothing. It is the skill of the user. A staff gives the illusion of being more versitile but what people don't realise is that its restrictions are nearly as great as its advantages. From my kendo/ninjitsu XP a staff is a good weapon but you let the staff touch your arms. A saber staff would cut you if you touched it making it very restrictive. You cannot strike/parry across your body and back as freely and the second blade doesn't add as much versitility.

Anyway, Padawan Obi-wan defeated a staff using complete-Sith with a standard saber.

Two sabers? You cannot block anywhere near as easily and up close you would have to cross the sabers over in an X formation to stop a direct blow. They would be effective as fast ranged attacks (like how anakin uses them) but i think that as soon as Dooku closed in on anakin that he would have thrown the second saber due to the lack of power for blocking/striking and engaged the duel

If i held a sword in one hand and you swung at it with two hands you would either knock it out of my hand or my arm would flail out without control.

against non-saber opponents 2 sabers would be most effective though because a lightsaber can cut through anything asside from vibros.

• 6 months later...

I don't see how dual sabers are somehow amazing..yes, you can dish out a lot more damage a lot faster, but you

1) have an attack roll PENALTY whereas singles have a large bonus

2) have less defense

I'd also like to point out that I believe that the dueling feats STACK. So unless I am doing something horribly wrong, at least in KOTOR 1, you get +6 attack and +6 defense.

I'd also like to point out that I believe that the dueling feats STACK. So unless I am doing something horribly wrong, at least in KOTOR 1, you get +6 attack and +6 defense.

??? DO they ??? If so, I never noticed - however ATM I don't think so since feats like empathy and tech mastery don't seem to stack either....

On topic: I ususally use a single saber too, however primarily for style; I do believe dual sabers and staff are more powerful, since on higher levels defense and attack bonus grow less and less important: Usually both the PC and the (powerful) NPCs hit each other anyways (Attack bonus somehow increases much faster (about +1 per level) than defense (+2 per 5 levels or somehting like that?).

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenbob1973

I believe kavar did also.

Nah, he had 2 single Lightsabers... a Lighsaber form called Jar'Kai.

Kavar used a single saber and a short lightsaber.Both were blue. And whatever form they use is likely on of the ones you don't have at the time. It doesn't depend on they use that form only. I have played the game and the same Master in a different game would teach me a different technique.

Actually, if you get level 3 Dual Wield and a short lightsaber in the off hand, you can dual wield with no penalty to main hand and a minimal one to off-hand. I prefer dual-wielding myself, but it doesn't really matter, all of them are more than powerful enough.

I always use two lightsabers, full-legth red in the right hand, using parts/crystals for straight-up damage(with a fencing emitter), and a full-length blue saber in the off hand, upgraded for deflection/critical rate. I found it quite effective.

Archived