Home

Various Modding Tools (2DA, TLK, DLG, Search)

But first I'd like to get the menus working on the dialog viewer. I have uploaded another program for menu testing.

Test #7

Same problem as before with this one, the menus are too small for the content. I tried the different checkboxes as well but it didn't make a difference to how the menus worked.

I was getting ready to completely rewrite the menus when I was able to reproduce the miniature menus syndrome. It was connected to an IF statement so I would like to test this once without the IF before I start a rewrite.

Test #8

Nothing new on the menu front, unfortunately. I still get the tiny pink menus where you only see parts of some icons and divider lines with this version. I also got two non-fatal error messages at application startup, "Failed to register window!" and "Failed to create tooltip window.".

I may have gotten the menus working right. (I found a serious os type of bug.) Even if they do, they aren't quite finished, though. But you should be able to read them. (Hopefully)

Also I tried something different where it pronounced "Failed to register window!" (We're trying to use the RegisterClassEx api) . It will now make two slightly different attempts before bailing and declaring failure to create the tooltip window.

Test #9

I may have gotten the menus working right. Even if they do, they aren't quite finished, though. But you should be able to read them.

Also I tried something different where it pronounced "Failed to register window!" It will now make two slightly different attempts before bailing and declaring failure to create the tooltip window.

The menus are displaying properly in this version and seem to work to use, from what I could tell. :)

Still getting the "Failed to create tooltip window" message though, but this time a I got a "Failed to register window on first attempt!" message before it.

There seems to be something odd when saving DLG files. When I just opened a test dialog and re-saved it without changing anything the new file became roughly 150 K bigger than the original (529K vs 371K).

I made some changes to the dialog viewer, 2da editor, and included the missing richtx32 control for the find in files program.

There seems to be something odd when saving DLG files. When I just opened a test dialog and re-saved it without changing anything the new file became roughly 150 K bigger than the original (529K vs 371K).

That's because this editor includes a 'base' amount of tags for each dialog line whether they are actually present in the original dialog file or not. (If they weren't in it before they will be afterwards.) This isn't really necessary but I wasn't aware of that when I wrote this several months ago. Changing this is going to involve rewriting a very large portion of this program and may not happen anytime soon.

BTW: I would like to give you a very big thank you for all your help stoffe. :waive1:

Test #10

I made some changes to the dialog viewer, 2da editor, and included the missing richtx32 control for the find in files program.

Test #10

I've tested the 2DA Editor some more and it appears to be working mostly fine now from what I've seen so far. I did notice that you can't sort the table by Row Label by clicking on the column header though, like you can with the other columns.

There also seems to be some problem if you sort the table by clicking on one of the colums and then do "Undo all changes" without first doing "Reset Sort" (both in the Tools menu) causing the line sequence to be messed up if you then save the file again.

Oh, and the "Exit" command in the File menu does not appear to work. :)

Finally a suggestion: It would be very handy if you show the line numbers as well. Since many 2DA files are indexed by line number and not row label (which I assume is what you call "Index" in your column labels) it would save you from having to count the lines manually if the row label does not match the line number.

As for the DLG Editor, there are no "Tooltip window" related errors showing any longer, but unfortunately the menus have returned to their old broken state in this version again.

The "Bailed test drive due to error." message still shows up when trying out the "Test Drive" feature after a few nodes have been displayed.

Find In Files seem to work as well now with that OCX file installed, though the "Exit" menu command doesn't do anything there either. :)

If you'll notice in the previous version the menu accelerators weren't showing, so I had tried to fix that and ended up breaking the menus again. So here's another try (at just the menus.)

It would be very handy if you show the line numbers as well. Since many 2DA files are indexed by line number and not row label (which I assume is what you call "Index" in your column labels) it would save you from having to count the lines manually if the row label does not match the line number.

I'll work on that.

As for the DLG Editor, there are no "Tooltip window" related errors showing any longer, but unfortunately the menus have returned to their old broken state in this version again.

It creates a debug log file now if it encounters that error, so you might want to check.

Test #12

Btw: What dialog are you trying to test drive? It would help if I was able to reproduce the error.

It creates a debug log file now if it encounters that error, so you might want to check.

Test #12

Btw: What dialog are you trying to test drive? It would help if I was able to reproduce the error.

The menus are still messed up, unfortunately. The Debug Log file created contains the following:

2007-01-17 21:49:55 RegisterClassEx Failed.

2007-01-17 21:49:55 CreateWindowEx with registered class failed.

I used the 003kreia.dlg file for testing (the first I found when grabbing a file to test with :)). The problem happens when test-driving her first entry, the one about Atton, and then picking the "He's not a fool... well maybe he is" (or some such) reply option.

I've also noticed that this newest version displays the following error message when loading 003kreia.dlg, which did not happen earlier:

Runtime error 457

This key is already associated with an element of this collection.

Clicking OK in this error message terminates the application.

Worked on the dialog viewer.

• Complete menu rewrite. They work for me, but so did the old ones.
  • The test drive error only occurred for me when it reached the end of a dialog branch (and really wasn't an error). This has been removed. It will report any real errors, but if it suddenly just stops during a test drive then this would be an error the program wouldn't declare, but one that I would like to know about.
  • Runtime error 457 was a product of the old menus and shouldn't occur anymore.

Worked on the 2da editor.

• Seperate column for the line index has been implemented.
  • Fixed the exit menu. (I had no code here at all - oops)
  • You can now sort the line index column.
  • Fixed this:

There also seems to be some problem if you sort the table by clicking on one of the colums and then do "Undo all changes" without first doing "Reset Sort" (both in the Tools menu) causing the line sequence to be messed up if you then save the file again.

I'm not sure I ever would have noticed this myself.

Worked on Find in Files.

• Fixed the exit menu. (I had no code here at all - double oops)
  • Implemented a replace in files feature. There is no undo for this other than making backups before using it. (I really needed this a week ago while altering a directory full of php scripts - but at least its available now.) The replace function is case sensistive.

NOTICE: volunteers needed to let me pull their hair. :)

Edit: :rofl: -RH

Test #13

Worked on the dialog viewer.

Complete menu rewrite. They work for me, but so did the old ones.

That menu problem appears to be fixed in this version.... but another seems to have cropped up instead. The menus appear to work fine at first when loading the application and everything seems normal. But after having loaded a DLG file they all end up looking like this instead:

menublues2fe6.jpg

The other things you have fixed seems to work fine now though, at least as far as I've had time to test them so far. :)

NOTICE: volunteers needed to let me pull their hair. :)

I've already got enough things causing me to rip chunks of my beard out right now I don't think I need to look anymore scraggly for somebody else.

However I'll keep test driving these updates to your tools to ensure you of a good nights sleep 2 months from now.

I've already got enough things causing me to rip chunks of my beard out right now I don't think I need to look anymore scraggly for somebody else.

However I'll keep test driving these updates to your tools to ensure you of a good nights sleep 2 months from now.

Aww c'mon...it won't hurt...much :) Actually I was kinda hoping a female would volunteer. (We don't take to kindly to having our hair messed with, and that's exactly what would make it so much funnier. Ahem...)

All this just because I wanted to try my hand at owner drawn menus. Although I do like them, I'm not sure they're worth this much trouble. Anyway...

Test #14

All this just because I wanted to try my hand at owner drawn menus. Although I do like them, I'm not sure they're worth this much trouble. Anyway...

Test #14

That version seems to have fixed the new menu problem as well. :) I haven't stumbled across any other bugs yet. I'll keep testing it though and post if I spot anything more.

I have uploaded another copy of the 2da editor.

• I fixed an issue where it wasn't opening the passed file if associated with 2da files.
  • Various fixes to the row indexing when adding or removing rows.
  • Completely new GetOpenFileName Dialog (menu Open or Save As). This was originally referenced back in post #21. When I fixed it the first time it was still open to certain errors. So I need to know if the menus File / Open, File / Save As, and View / Flexgrid Font works ok. If they work properly I'll update my other programs with this.

Test #15

So I need to know if the menus File / Open, File / Save As, and View / Flexgrid Font works ok. If they work properly I'll update my other programs with this.

Test #15

They seemed to work fine here when I tested. Though the "Places" bar (or whatever it's called, the palette to the left containing quick-icons for Desktop, My Documents, My Computer etc...) seems to be missing in the Open and Save dialog boxes.

Hopefully this fixes that.

Test #16

Still no places bar visible in the Open/Save dialog boxes.

Noticed a few other minor things as well. If you try to save when no file has been opened you get some rather cryptic error messages. If you do "Undo all changes" when no file has been loaded the application freezes forcing you to use the Task Manager to kill it. Perhaps those menu choices should be dimmed when they are not applicable? :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have updated the pack with all fixes listed in this thread.

Additionally, I have added a feature to the 2da editor that will copy a row to the clipboard in the format that the TSLPatcher uses. So all you have to do is click the 'Copy Row to Clipboard for TSLPatcher' menu item and then paste it into your changes.ini.

I did all the things Stoffe suggested in the post above, except make the places bar show in the Open/Save dialog boxes. The only means I have of testing this is through other people and I don't think its that big of an issue right now. (I would imagine Stoffe was tired of it, too.)

Additionally, I finally got the control to scroll properly with minor hacks. (Thank you, Jesus!) This had been a serious turn off about the editor.

Available from my FileFront page.

Archived