Home

Moral Kombat... this is bad, really bad...

TiE23

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/moral-kombat/clips-moral-kombat-the-video-game-violence-documentary-225876.php

It's basically Bowling for Columbine meets video games. Just see if if you haven't already.

Things:

- I played my first M-Rated game when I was 8 (Unreal) and I didn't like it, it scared me, not scarred. I remember watching my dad play Hexen, Doom and Blood, scary stuff for me, now it's just funny.

- This quote just about wraps-up their argument: "We literally enter into a world that is so realistic, that we forget it is a make believe world. Now, we're not there yet, but we keep getting closer." Wow... yeah, I always thought that carrying around a keyboard and typing ~ god would make me invincible until I jumped off the roof, that hurt.

- "Our culture is going to accept a different level of violence, whether it be film, television, or video games." Well, yeah. It's kinda like a naturally violent outlet where we used to kill people we hated, now we just watch movies of people who do.

- One point they mention that Microsoft Flight Simulator can be used to fly planes one has never been in before and fly them into buildings. Right... So we should ruin the fun of tens of thousands of people by removing flight simulators cause of some hunch. How about we ban all racing games, people crash them.

Is it just me, or are we going to be suffering a Fahrenheit 451 sort of situation with video games...

Edit:

20070105.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You realize who that was saying "we've always recognized violence as a vice, and not as a virtue," right? Yep, that's Jack Thompson. This movie already fails.

Oh, and hey Lieberman, it has a ratings system, it's called the ESRB.

There's a new show on the Discovery HD channel called "Gamer Generation." I watched the last 10-20 minutes of it last night. It was pretty painful. They had Jack Thompson on there, he was talking about all the school shootings he blames on video games. They also had one of those brain studies. Same story: "These studies show that while playing first-person shooter games, gamers have aggressive brain activity. However, there is no link between aggressive brain activity and aggressive behavior." They also showed games that are more than 5 years old, talking about how realistic they are, like usual. I'll have to see if I can catch the whole thing, see if they completely ignore the negative effects of sports, the ESRB, or the positive effects of video games, like usual.

Hm, it looks fairly objective to my eyes. Had it been a message to ban video games the trailer that was linked to would have made that message very clear, as Fahrenheit 911 and bowling for columbine did. Those movie trailers didn't end with, "are school shooting to be blamed on the irresponsibility of gun manufacturers?". No. The trailer told you that it was. Therefore, this seems to be a fairly objective take on the situation.

And saying Jack Thompson's mere presence in the movie makes it fail is immature and biased. It is clear to me that both sides of the argument are going to be taken into consideration, hence Lieberman and Thompson as well as some industry members.

Oh, and seriously, some video games are really sick and disgusting, no matter how you say that "it doesn't affect me" everything affects everyone good or bad so you can't simply nullify their arguments by saying "bah idiots, they have no idea what they're talking about"

What else is new?

Until Thompson, Lieberman, and who ever else on the "Ban Violent Video Games" bandwagon, actuallly succeed in banning them, I'm going to keep on playing my sweet sweet violent games.

And just an observation, did you see the size of the Xbox controller the kid was holding? That controller right there should be banned.

Hm, it looks fairly objective to my eyes. Had it been a message to ban video games the trailer that was linked to would have made that message very clear, as Fahrenheit 911 and bowling for columbine did. Those movie trailers didn't end with, "are school shooting to be blamed on the irresponsibility of gun manufacturers?". No. The trailer told you that it was. Therefore, this seems to be a fairly objective take on the situation.

And saying Jack Thompson's mere presence in the movie makes it fail is immature and biased. It is clear to me that both sides of the argument are going to be taken into consideration, hence Lieberman and Thompson as well as some industry members.

Oh, and seriously, some video games are really sick and disgusting, no matter how you say that "it doesn't affect me" everything affects everyone good or bad so you can't simply nullify their arguments by saying "bah idiots, they have no idea what they're talking about"

Have you heard the insane things Jack Thompson has said? Even the crap he's done in court? His opinion shouldn't even be included.

I don't see how you could say it seems fairly objective after watching that trailer. Tell me, where was the counter-argument? What do you see about that trailer that isn't biased?

Oh, and I don't deny there are some sick video games out there. There are some games I don't play just on principle. But I have to disagree with the "everything effects everyone" thing. It might "effect" you but what does that really amount to? If a video game "effects" me I might hit the computer table with my fist or something when I lose, but I won't go out and shoot people.

Also, no one ever looks at sports. They hook gamer's heads up to brain scanners and look at the "aggressive" readings in the brain. $10 bucks if you could do the same thing to someone playing football, you'd get higher readings of the same thing. And once again, does the fact that it effects you in some way really matter? Isn't that why we play games in the first place, to do something exciting?

There was no argument, it was simply an advertisement for a film. I didn't say any clear cut side taken and even though Jack Thompson is arguably insane, he and Lieberman and Hillary clinton are the the "head honchos" so to speak of the movement and to not include them would to appear one sided.

I didn't mean that every effect of being affected would be a violent response but meant that it was a response, even in the smallest amounts, a good example being your pounding of the table.

There was no argument, it was simply an advertisement for a film. I didn't say any clear cut side taken and even though Jack Thompson is arguably insane, he and Lieberman and Hillary clinton are the the "head honchos" so to speak of the movement and to not include them would to appear one sided.

I didn't mean that every effect of being affected would be a violent response but meant that it was a response, even in the smallest amounts, a good example being your pounding of the table.

And once again, why should it matter? Why should we be worried if something effects us?

And how can you possibly say there was no argument in that trailer? Every second of that trailer bleeds anti-videogame. "Video games were used to train terrorists" "we forget we're playing a video game because they're so realistic" "we accept a new level of violence" I could pick out argumentative quotes from that trailer all day.

There was no argument, it was simply an advertisement for a film.

ar·gu·ment /ˈɑrgyəmənt/ [ahr-gyuh-muhnt]

–noun

- a discussion involving differing points of view; debate: They were deeply involved in an argument about inflation.

- an address or composition intended to convince or persuade; persuasive discourse.

RoxStar, I'm pretty sure we all know what this movie is about. It's definitely not about how great games are, that's for sure.

Also, I'd love to sit down with JT and have him watch me play games. I'd play Twilight Princess, Shadow of the Colossus, Half Life 2, and Oblivion and dare him to say they aren't cool.

SIgh this is plain typical finding the blame game to all the violence that

kids,adults etc due in this world. NEver does this guy meantion parents

involvment on these kids' descisions to let them play these games(same with movies).

No you wont see this guy go after parents will you? Never in his life.

All these school shootings and any other violent or whatever these kids get

themselves into. Where are the parents or legal guardians I say.

If these people go after video games in general what about movies?

Movies have been going closer to a century. A century of showing violence ;).

If theres anyone to blame its the parents in my oppinion. There duty to teach

there kids right from wrong. A duty to prepare them for society.

A duty to make there kids acceptable into society. Plus there parents can simply

say no to video games.

I admit to playing video games everyday. Most of them have some form of violence.

But it doesnt change my attitude of how I should act in society.

I am no idiot to be shooting up schools,robbing and other various crimes

in are society. And why do I think this way? Because of how my parents have

brought me up.

I admit that some video games are to violent in my oppinion. Some dont need

to have as much violent content in my oppinion but I avoid them in general.

Which should be up to the parents on what video games there children

play if they alow them to. Going after video games is like going after

movies and anything else that depicts violence from books to tv shows etc.

Movies and tv have been accepted in are society I cant see why video games

cant as well. BUt because of some poeple playing the blame game for all these

school shootings on video games are society wont be changing

by going after video games. The answer is to educate parents(the ones that need it)

Ps no offence to any good parents out there. I am just going after parents

that dont care or play careless when it comes to there children.

I feel as though parents need to be involved in childrens lives through teaching,

example etc (which parents do but some do need some help) Since what is

the real answer why some kids are shooting fellow students up at schools

or other various forms of crime?

It isn't a good idea, it was done in Plymouth many years ago, they just made their own country and are now trying to force their beliefs on the world. :p

Hey cant you imagine what this world would be like without america? Home of the free

Im pretty much sure these people against video games dont stop to wonder

whats the parents involvment in there kids lives since they jsut keep bashing

andbashing video games. And not only do children play video games as well

adults play video games as well and these games that are rated mature

rating are not meant for little kids to be playing.

There is a ESRB rating system. A guide for parents for if theres any certain

game that they dont want there kids to be playing.

But I feel as though some parents dont care about ratings they just let there child

play whatever video game (not caring about the rating) to there hearts

content. Which could have a detrimental affect on the childs attitude etc.

If theres anything these people should be going after its parents in general.

THousands of kids play video games everyday. You dont see thousands

of school shootings do you?

I'm so relieved that these old rich men can enlighten the public on the subject of video games. Rarely has mankind been subject to something this evil. I hope they'll reveal the true murderous nature of the cold blooded killers known as "gamers" once and for all.

The games haven't effected me. Neither many of the people I know.

Games have the opposite effect on me. When I need to relax(at least for me it's relaxing), I just pop in a game I've beaten and put it on the easy setting. This way I make sure I can easily win and it won't make me more stressed. But that's my home remedy.

Archived