The Architect

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=44432&view=findpost&p=732836

and

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=44432&view=findpost&p=733472

and

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=44432&view=findpost&p=733802

and

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=44432&view=findpost&p=733928

Yes, it's a lot of reading, and I'm sorry, but after reading all that, see if you agree with me that the devs of KotOR III should not use the canon Revan and the canon Exile.

Hey, one of the reasons I got K2 was the fact that you could have Revan be LS or DS. That was very, very cool. My choices...mattered. No more do I have to rely on stupid canon, now, I get to really affect the future of the galaxy. And they didn't even have to do it, they could have copt-out now. But they didn't...

And becasue of that, the developers would not go canon here either.

The scenario I have in my head was one that I came up with after doing game file archeology. Dark Side made little sense in K1 (far too thuggish, and the party was mostly lightsiders - even Jolee was a Jedi when the bluff had to get called). Not to say that finding out the Jedi's little stunt and paying them back with interest wasn't tempting, and that killing off half your party drove home the point of Dark Side better than the movies ever did.

So, we have a LS Revan. As for gender? Well, females get nifty bonuses like a second romance, third ending, and access to the largest dialogue tree in-game. Playing male, there was only ONE conversation that I wasn't able to get playing female. That, and a few subtle things (the Leviathan torture scene, for one) put me in the "definitely LSF" camp.

K2? Everything about that game was dark, cynical, and freezing cold. Might as well kill the Jedi Masters. They're dead anyway. Onderon was a classic example of David Brin's snide observation that SW was all about the chose between elite. The "Light Side" option went sides you with a queen that 75% of her population wanted out of office. Vaklu was the popular vote, but he was a total jerk. Dantooine? Never wanted to side with the mercs, so there I do "Light" there. They're at least choosing their own destiny. Nar Shadaa? Overall? Irredeemable cesspit. The party was a squabbling lot held together by nothing but your manipulation of them and a subtle form of mind control. So, Neutral/DS for my Exile. Male, because Atris's venom and Brianna's arc are better developed than anything else. That, and Obsidian called Exile as male in all their own promotional material. the cynic in me wonders if they only "called" Exile as female because of the annoyance created by Jaden Korr and Revan's canonized gender. Like "yes, it's from a half-finished p.o.s. - but here's a bone, shut up."

I don't think the KOTOR devs should. But writers in other media should be able to.

Totally agree. The developers should go with the choices of the previous games and not be handcuffed with what is considered canon. If they go with canon, what is the point of even playing the games?

I'd say, let the player determine gender and DS/LS of the previous PCs, but reduce the consequences to a minimum.

For example, even if you played a Darksided character who went around killing everyone, those persons you killed could be alive in kotor III.

Being DS doesn't mean that you kill everything you can.

I fear that the plot of a Kotor III is limited by all that gender and alignment issues, unless the developers put a huge time gap between KII and KIII.

I'd say, let the player determine gender and DS/LS of the previous PCs, but reduce the consequences to a minimum.

For example, even if you played a Darksided character who went around killing everyone, those persons you killed could be alive in kotor III.

Or better yet, don't have those people AT ALL in KOTORIII, for both LS and DS. Otherwise, it might disrupt the illusion you are in contorl.

Actually, there are very little consquences along with the choices you make, but we treasure them. Here are they:

LS:

-Revan defeats Darth Malak, and Malak's death causes the Sith Civil War, which ends the Jedi Civil War. Aftewards, Revan leaves known space in search for the True Sith.

-Revan redeemed the spirit of a Sith Lord on Korriban, and then takes his posionous sword of doom that will likely "consume" him.

-Disciple and that Jedi Master on Nar Shadda talks about Revan's "redemeption", especially after Revan's little talk with the Jedi Masters.

-Carth got promoted to Admrial. He and Bastilla are very much alive after K1, and are on the Light Side, and get to talk to you after you defeat Darth Nihlius.

-Sith Holocron on Korriban Gets Destroyed by Permecreate Bomb

DS:

-Revan defeats Darth Malak, and takes over the Sith Empire! Then, Revan decides to leave the galaxy in search of the True Sith, and hence causes the Sith Civil War, which ends the Jedi Civil War.

-Revan destroyed the spirit of a Sith Lord on Korriban, and then takes his posionous sword of doom that will likely "consume" him.

-Carth likely dead. Cede becomes Admrial of the Republic. Bastilla turns to the DS, and communicates to you in the Sith Holocron about her leaving the Republic in search of Revan.

And...um...that's it. There are probraly some other choices, but to be fair, that really is all. And, the differnece between Male and Female are even less...Ooh, so you get to see Carth if you are Male and Bastilla if you are Female in a T3-M4's holocron, and Bastilla could theoritcally be killed off if Revan is set to Female, hence why Carth is the only one talking to you.

So, do not worry. The developers has the ability to make it seem as if your choices has an effect...when it really does not.

Now, I actually never went into the Sith tombs of Korriban, so I never actually got that sword, but since LS Revan and DS Revan both "cannoincally" got the sword, and kept it, I say...fine. Keep that sword, and I hope that sword won't be key to anything. It's not really that important.

But if, say, you brough Jolee Bindo back, in the flesh, even when I am DS Revan, I would throw a fit. (If you have to have Jolee, at laset have the decency to keep him as a Force Ghost.)

Cede becomes Admrial of the Republic.

Just a pointer, SilentScope... 'Admiral' is not a unique rank. In any well-standing navy, you'll find a good number of them. It is a very high rank yo be sure, but more than one individual can hold it. There's some conception I don't get that Carth became the head of the Republic Navy (though becoming an admiral in just five years is unlikely enough), but his title would something more like 'Admiral of the Navy', or 'Supreme Commander'. :)

But if, say, you brough Jolee Bindo back, in the flesh, even when I am DS Revan, I would throw a fit. (If you have to have Jolee, at laset have the decency to keep him as a Force Ghost.)

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't mind the devs 'retconning' that fight a little... ;)

Canon should be stuck to if you are doing other forms of media like fics, comics, etc. KOTOR is an RP and to have canon forced upon ceases it to be an RP as we know it.

I agree on the RP part, though there's no need to totally stick to canon with other media. Seeing alternate versions of something (or the official one in some people's case) wouldn't be too bad, and especially not for Lucasfilm. They could stand to make some extra money if two or more versions of KotOR were published if it ever becomes a novel, and would probably satisfy more fans.

I have to agree with SilentScope001, that I don't want either Revan or the Exile to show up in KOTOR III. I want their fates to be found out in a datapad (with how we played our Revan/Exile), because if both of them were in the game, it would be too complicated.

I disagree Pottsie. I think bringing Revan and the Exile back in KotOR III, without having to go canon, would be quite easy. How would it be too complicated?

I disagree Pottsie. I think bringing Revan and the Exile back in KotOR III, without having to go canon, would be quite easy. How would it be too complicated?

Agreed. Even I have an idea of how it could be possible, and the devs without a doubt could do a better job than me - I wouldn't put it beyond them. :)

Agreed. Even I have an idea of how it could be possible, and the devs without a doubt could do a better job than me - I wouldn't put it beyond them. :)

Would you like to share your idea of how you'd bring Revan and the Exile back in KotOR III without going canon? :)

If anyone who doesn't already know wants to know how I'd bring them back without going canon, let me know, however, if you don't like reading long posts, then perhaps it's not a good idea.

You could do it pretty much the same way TSL handled Revan. As long as you don't try to do dialog about the 2 of them together, you'd never have to have more than 4 options, and depending on how you handle the story, you might not have to do anything different than saying 'he' or 'she'. TSL was pretty vague on Revan's story, and the only thing that LS/DS did was determine who showed up in a couple cutscenes.

Of course dev's shouldn't do that. That's the main interest of KotOR, and it would reduce the lifetime of the game.

At least, we should be able to choose the path of the Exile. And if LA really wants to be forgiven about the cut-content of TSL, they'll make the 16 possible fates of both Revan and the Exile.

"Canon" should only exist in the books, as KotOR is a game and as they started trying to let the player choose, they continue like this or they don't make K3.

I agree on the RP part, though there's no need to totally stick to canon with other media. Seeing alternate versions of something (or the official one in some people's case) wouldn't be too bad, and especially not for Lucasfilm. They could stand to make some extra money if two or more versions of KotOR were published if it ever becomes a novel, and would probably satisfy more fans.

Oooh, like some sort of "Infinites" comic books for the KOTOR series? I might really want to look at that. Though I think fanfic writers can do well in figuring out what really happen as well...

Have you read some of the fics SilentScope? There are some AU, some canon and some that utilize the RP choices from the games that are out there. Some I think are way out there but they are written well.

As to canon, I believe someone defined different classes of canon though I can't remember where or when but all canon does is to serve as a constant in which professional writers that are approved by Lucas or whoever can base their stories on. At least here on LF and KFM, we have the luxury of not conforming to canon or even to the gameplay if we use KOTOR and TSL.

The devs should be ashamed of themselves for even thinking that they should write KOTOR III into canon. If I had my herbs and firepit, I would summon the KOTOR gods (Bioware) down from their place in the heavens and have them sic em'. Definitely the next installment of KOTOR should stay in the traditional RP that we were introduced to with KOTOR.

Would you like to share your idea of how you'd bring Revan and the Exile back in KotOR III without going canon? :)

Call this a lack of imagination on my part, but I'd be perfectly happy with the option to choose their gender and alignment at the character creation menu. Just click a couple buttons and there, problem solved. :)

I like SilentScope's idea in his KotOR III story about taking a written test about KotOR history. Your answers on the test would define what alignment/gender Revan and the Exile are. Or they could always do it the straight out way of, before you start your game you completely customize Revan and the Exile from what their face looks like to what their attributes and skills are.

All in all, I say no, don't go cannon. I think that there should be a canonical Revan and Exile simply for continuity purposes, but I also think that in the game, each player should be able to choose their own characters.

Archived