Home

Getting a Pazaak Deck (In real-life, not in the game)

AlexysDavalos

I made some images if anyone's interested: http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff140/JCarter426/Pazaak/?start=0

I'm still trying to figure out the cheapest way to order them. ;)

I'm running a Star Wars D20 game and I was looking around for a way to add pazaak when I found your post with all the pictures of the cards. Wow THANK YOU. You saved me a ton of work.

It takes about 2 decks of 54 to make a fully playable set of Pazaak cards. Artscow is having a sale so I got both decks for a total of $9.98

I made 4 each of the 1 to 10 cards. 3 each of the +1 to +6

, 3 each of the -1 to -6 , 3 each of the +/-1 to +/-6, and 2 each of the 4 gold cards. This is 102 cards leaving me with 6.

I didn't want the gold cards to be common so I made another +1, +2, +3, -1, -2, and -3.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 years later...
Hello everyone,

I have been looking everywhere to find a Pazaak deck so that I can play in the comforts of my own home without the computer.

I could print one of myself, but I want something of higher quality than that. I found a few websites of printing companies that would do the work, but they want me to order a minimum of anywhere from 50 to 3000 decks.

Anyone know of a company that would print just one deck?

Or maybe anyone else who's interested in having their own deck could reply to this message, and we could pool resources to have a big company print us all a deck. There would have to be at least 50 of us.

I don't know if anyone will read this in 2014 but I stumbled upon this forum looking for real life cards of my own. I found one reply that led me to artscow.com and I used my graphic design training to recreate the graphics of the cards from the game and I ordered them. They let me order one deck at a time and they look and feel professional quality. The graphics I made are very detailed and accurate. If anyone wants the graphics I made and a link to the website, just reply and I'll email them to you. I want everyone to be able to play pazaak in real life.

• 3 months later...
I don't know if anyone will read this in 2014 but I stumbled upon this forum looking for real life cards of my own. I found one reply that led me to artscow.com and I used my graphic design training to recreate the graphics of the cards from the game and I ordered them. They let me order one deck at a time and they look and feel professional quality. The graphics I made are very detailed and accurate. If anyone wants the graphics I made and a link to the website, just reply and I'll email them to you. I want everyone to be able to play pazaak in real life.

Hey, I stumbled across this as well, trying to get my own cards for an rpg group. would love to take you upon your card design offer, if you ever see this.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I noticed that too JCarter426, though I saw yours after his/hers. It's the font... you can tell easily on the 3 & 6 card.

If nikon20 used your images as a "base set" and didn't give you credit, that's just not right.

This is the nikon20 link (a couple posts above mine):

http://s230.photobucket.com/user/nikon20/library/Pazaak%20Cards?sort=6&page=1

This is nikon20's post regarding the images: http://www.pazaak.org/forum/31

Whatever you guys figure out, I'm going to make my own deck. The only reason I used pre-existing images was that

I wanted to order a custom deck and get it before Christmas. Now that I've ordered it, I've got time to create my

own images to distribute to anyone who wants 'em, and I won't have to worry about whether I've given credit to

the right person or not for that!

The font I used is Old Republic by Trollax Kinora. It's a recreation of the game's, and available for free on a number of sites. Although the original game font is essentially Bank Gothic with a few letters changed. That also makes it a poor man's Bank Gothic... and I mean that in a good way, because I'm poor. I agree about the numbers, though. Old Republic's 5 is actually a bit different from the game's. If I were to do it again, I'd draw the text by hand rather than use a font, so as to match the game's more precisely.

Regarding the other matter... I get messages regarding my pazaak cards from time to time, so I went back and checked to see if there were any from this person. In fact, I did find a request from nikon20 for the my templates, for the purpose of altering the +/- cards. At the time I said I couldn't find them, so I didn't provide them, nor did I give my blessing for any alterations. I probably would have, had I been able to find the templates, and were to be credited for them. I don't really care that much, but as a graphic designer I'm professionally obligated to show the pretense of objection. Anyway, that's all I'll say on the matter.

I have in fact since found my templates:

PazaakTemplateSample_zps10cee45c.png

I also found more cards. It appears that my past self went through with the alterations for the +/- cards, as well as a few others. Given that this set has variations of some cards, I believe I never intended these for print. At the time I had plans to produce a digital pazaak game in collaboration with a programmer, so they were probably for that. I could never figure out how to properly show the +/- cards properly in print, which is why I went with the much maligned purple. I suppose you could print these out and allow the player to swap the physical cards when they desire, but that would mean printing more cards. It also occurs to me that this flaw is already present in my original set! Those bloody 2&4 and 3&6 cards would do the same thing. But I remember there might be space left over for these extra cards, because all the +/- cards and the gold cards don't take up a full deck. I'd have to do some math to figure out the most efficient set. This won't be an issue in the future (or the futuristic past) when digital paper is available.

However, these hurt my eyes. And I've got the game open now, after talking to Atton, and I can see some obvious errors in my original designs. I really do have to redo these from scratch. But I'm too busy at the moment. I said I was too busy four years ago, too, but I really am too busy now. (I'm not supposed to say what it is, but it's pretty big.) You've given me some incentive to not let it slip for four years again, though.

Also, I'll post my comments regarding your designs in the individual thread.

I ended up using another Star Wars font for the numbers. I used to have a ton of fonts and would

surely have had something I liked, but I lost them years ago. Sigh.

I'm working on an entirely new set of cards now, because as much as I like the ones I did, I know

I can do much better. I've read your other post and will consider making those changes, because

Pazaak "in real life" can get a bit messier than on a computer, where the computer makes all the math

changes and you don't need to remember anything!

Archived