Home

Sins

Renegade Angel

@Renegade Angel

I think sin is a relative thing. As long as you arent harming others or breaking the law, you can do what the heck you want IMO - as long as your are prepared to face the consequences of your decisions...(many people always forget to think about this aspect when "doing what the heck they want")

I find it hard to believe that you can be as "sinful" as you want to claim you are they are by age 13. If you were really that bad, you'd be in juvey hall and wouldnt be able to post on forums or play KOTOR :(

I think you must surrounded by some pretty strict religious types, who are making you feel bad for doing the crazy/silly things you do when you are an adolescent.

According to religious and social definitions, I have been living in sin for over 6 years now! and going strong !! \o/

like ET, I also strive to live my life by a very strict code, usually morse code:

.- ... - .-. --- / .. ... / - . .... / ... . -..-

:p

mtfbwya

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope that you truly were joking as that smiley would indicate, because to relate lack of morals to lack of theological belief in some kind of "sin" is foolish. I no more believe in sin than I believe in monsters in my closet, but I do try and live my life by a very strong moral code.

I was joking about that. I'm not implying that he's like a serial killer or something with no remorse nor do I say that about you. All societies have morals, it is a part of culture. Culture, loosely defined, is a set of ideals and behaviors that are learned and can change throughout time. Culture is dynamic and changes through innovation and invention. I will stop on the anthropology lesson for now.

@ Jae: It's nice that you have jimbo to make dinner occassionally. At my place it's usually me or my brother. The exception is Thanksgiving when my mother and cook. Mother-daughter thing.

Hah. Didnt think this would grow so fast... I'll have to come back to post, I'm very tired at the moment, so...

@Renegade Angel

I think sin is a relative thing. As long as you arent harming others or breaking the law, you can do what the heck you want IMO - as long as your are prepared to face the consequences of your decisions...(many people always forget to think about this aspect when "doing what the heck they want")

I find it hard to believe that you can be as "sinful" as you want to claim you are they are by age 13. If you were really that bad, you'd be in juvey hall and wouldnt be able to post on forums or play KOTOR :(

I think you must surrounded by some pretty strict religious types, who are making you feel bad for doing the crazy/silly things you do when you are an adolescent.

According to religious and social definitions, I have been living in sin for over 6 years now! and going strong !! \o/

like ET, I also strive to live my life by a very strict code, usually morse code:

.- ... - .-. --- / .. ... / - . .... / ... . -..-

:p

mtfbwya

Well... I've done things Jae said not to post about and I'm not too proud, but at 13, peer pressure hits kind of hard.

Well... I've done things Jae said not to post about and I'm not too proud, but at 13, peer pressure hits kind of hard.

This is more along the lines of a general bit of advice, not meant to give you a hard time.

Be yourself. Who the heck cares what the other 13 year olds (or whatever age teens) thinks? In 5 or 6 years, you'll all be away at college or working (if you're smart) or if you're not so smart, get in some serious trouble and you'll sit around in an orange jumpsuit in a small cell. Don't know about you, but I don't look too good in flourescent orange.

Nobody _makes_ you do anything. Are they tying you up and carrying you around to do trouble-making things? If they are, call the cops! If not, you control your own destiny, not them. If some kids don't like you, so what. We all have different personalities, and so none of us is going to like every single person. You'll go nuts if you try to make every single person like you.

Hang out where the 'good' kids hang out--youth groups at churches/houses of worship, arcades/places set up for kids your age, libraries, clubs/activities at school, sports (you don't have to be good. I'm not talented at sports, I just work hard in taekwondo and do the best _I_ can.) Those are the kinds of places to hang out. Boring? Maybe. But you're safe and you don't end up someplace you don't want to be.

Stay away from the older kids who want you to do their dirty work for them or who ask you to do something illegal. Stay away from kids with weapons. Stay away from kids who do drugs/alcohol. It's a lot harder to stay out of trouble if everyone else around you is smoking ice. Go home at a decent hour if you don't already have a time you're supposed to be home. It's a lot harder to get in trouble at midnight on a Saturday if you're safe at home in your room hanging out here on a forum or playing your games.

Of course, you're talking to someone who has the worst luck about getting into trouble, so I stay away from it as much as possible. Every time I've tried to do something bad, bizarre circumstances have conspired and I get caught. I don't dare do any kind of drugs (aside from the health issues and the fact that I'd lose my license), for instance, because it would be my luck that the house where I was doing that would get raided by the cops that night. After awhile I realized it takes a lot more energy to fix whatever happens after getting into trouble than it does to just stay out of trouble in the first place.

Actually...

I haven't commited any of the seven deadly sins, if i recall correctly...

Lust: Nope.

Gluttony: Not really...every time I got some alcohol I was capable of getting home myself, without endangering others.

Greed/Avarice: I have no financial trouble whatsoever...

Sloth/Laziness: Nope...always relatively happy...I go to school/work with great fun.

Wrath/Anger: Anger is for those who can't 'win' by words.

Envy: Nope...

Pride/Hubris: *touches 3-day beard* probably not :xp:

Of course I've done some stupid things. That's what being a teenager is all about. You experiment, you try stuff. And like Renegade said, group pressure can hit hard.

My main list of 'stupid' things mainly includes things where I said the wrong stuff on the wrong moment, getting myself into trouble. But I recently joined a school in which I get to learn to adapt my behaviour and words to a situation, fixing that weak point.

I have tried cigarettes, like probably everyone else. After one try I already decided I didn't want them though.

What next...haven't betrayed anyone...no problems with the law, no drugs...

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

I agree. Although some sins harm others directly, I think some can be 'ignored' if you only harm yourself. (That would be quit stupid, but still..)

Originally posted by Jae Onasi

Hang out where the 'good' kids hang out--youth groups at churches/houses of worship, arcades/places set up for kids your age, libraries, clubs/activities at school, sports (you don't have to be good. I'm not talented at sports, I just work hard in taekwondo and do the best _I_ can.) Those are the kinds of places to hang out. Boring? Maybe. But you're safe and you don't end up someplace you don't want to be.

Will a school full of soon-to-be teacher do, Mommerator Jae? :xp:

Jae's not a Mommerator, she's the Mominator (Hint being Terminator) :lol:

Ztalker: a bunch of school marm wannabes is fine, if you care to hang around people who discuss nothing but how bad their kids have been acting puncuated by a few funny episodes of kids eating birdseed and wheat bread. My mom is a school teacher and I tease her and ask about her brats. The joke is that she so mean to them that she makes them cry but they like her anyway.

This is a very interesting topic and I'm not really sure of what is a sin, in some cases. All I know is that everyone sins, me included, except for Jesus of course.

What we need to focus on is gaining GOD's forgiveness. He'll give it to us, if we confess and ask. I heard a radio show one night, randomly when I was laying in bed. It said that GOD doesn't judge us on our sins. HE'll forgive us and love us even so. What we should focus on are the things that we do right. That's what GOD looks at.

I'm no expert on it, but this is what I believe.

Honestly. One of the main things that guided me through my childhood and teenage years was Star Trek. I started watching that show (TNG) when i was 5. It was the only show i watched. I was amazed by this utopian adventure and i always dreamed to be like one of these people i saw on screen. I grew up believing that if i acted grown up then i'd live in that future. I'm 20 in March so im still a teen and im on the straight and narrow and have been so far. Don't smoke, rarely drink and enjoy my life. Sure there are times when i wish i was a little wilder when i was in school and i wish i took more risks but ho hum. You live the life you lead and i have learned that everyday you can change the direction as easily as the wind shifts. You just have to be positive. :)

Thanks for the list Ztalker

Lust: no

Gluttony: nada have been drunk once, never again

Greed/Avarice: Living in the western world means indirectly taking from the poor, so yes.

Sloth/Laziness: only in winter (no sun for a few months can make anyone lazy)

Wrath/Anger: yup, I'm very angry at the system that makes the poor poorer, and the rich richer.

Envy: I envy those that know how unfair the world is, and don't seem to bother

Pride/Hubris: "Yes" I am a "proud" western enviromental disaster.

@ Renegade angel

I am a few years older than you, and know how it's like. I used to give in to it, but after a few years, I had enough. It cost me a few beatings, being taunted by most of the class, being acused of things I hadn't done (and with the entire class against me the teachers punished me). In the end I gained enough respect to be left alone. I lost most of my friends, but the ones I kept/got are people I would trust with my life. I also don't have to do anything I don't want to. So while it will be hard to go against the flow, it's more than worth it.

Also doing what Jae says is a good idea, just avoid religous studdy groups, places of worship, and other religous activities. It's not that I have anything against religous activities, It's just that I think you should find out as much as you can about each religion before you start practicing one. I am16, learning more about religions before I start practising, for the moment an atheist, In the future who knows.

mur'phon: It is good that you are learning about diiferent religious ideals. Need a semi expert, you can ask me on that. What I think you will find is that there are similarities in what each defines as good and what defines a sin. The word sin comes from the latin word sinistra meaning evil. It is always associated with the left hence that is why the conservatives think that the liberals are the devil incarnate.

@Darth InSidious: not avoiding them, I just avoided them when I was younger, to awoid being as affected by a clever speaker. I read about the religions, talk to people on forums about them, try to make up my mind, and then I'll most likely sooner or later go to a place of worship. So far I have only checked out different christian churches, and have been convinced (at least for the moment) that it's not for me. it's hard when you live in a small town to learn much about any other religion.

@JediMaster12: Thanks for the offer, and I know they are similar. After seeing how much they have influenced each other, I find it hard to think that one (if any) are the "right" one. One of my main reasons why I remain an atheist for the moment.

@ Darth InSidious: Read my post, I go to their places of worship after I have heard from peoples both beliving and not beliving in the religion I'm curently learning about. Everyones got agendas (including me) , that's why I try to get thoughts from as many as possible.

And we are getting off topic, pm me or make a new post if you got much more to say.

Archived