Home

Gore's 'Truth' particularly inconvenient for those lovable creationists...

Spider AL

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry that came over a bit wrong. I meant to point out how religion tries to reach into many parts of life which just should be looked after by other people. My main example is the school governors vetting science text books as they don't think it agrees with their religious views. Surly science text books should be written by scientists and religious education text books should be written by people with a religious viewpoint. If they stop scientific view points from being in science text books then you aren't letting the children make their own mind up about the subject your forcing other viewpoints into their science education.

Personally if I read in a text book that in an exam I should give credit to the viewpoint that the world is 10000 years old i'd laugh and bin the book for being rubbish.

I thought you would have been able to make your point without appearing intolerant of the right to believe in religion
There is a difference between criticising religious belief, and stating that people don't have a RIGHT to believe, Nancy.

That's one distinction you've never seemed to grasp in the past. Please try now.

Then let's criticise Atheism for a while. Atheists, like people who follow religion, time and time again go off into white sheet territory, all the time going off about how much of a fallacy it is to believe in it. They feel compelled to share those beliefs at every possible opportunity. Should an unsuspecting forum member make even a passing comment about faith or spirituality of any flavor, Atheist will descend like one of the Furies, mercilessly hectoring all of the ignorant and delusional believers about the sordid history of the church and the pernicious effects of religion on society. And y'know what that's a real shame because it does make Atheism look bad.

Nance, what he said was that he hated people of blind faith who used their religion instead of logic to determine what their nation's politics and education system should be like - such as when certain fundies try to override the fight against global warming simply because it goes against their religion. You have to agree with him that thinking with your Bible instead of your head this way is not a good thing.

Yeah, I click on this link; now this is some bulls**t, Nancy.

How the hell can somebody at NASA, say something like this:

I have no doubt that a trend of global warming exists," Griffin told Inskeep. "I am not sure that it is fair to say that it is a problem we must wrestle with.

And this:

To assume that it is a problem is to assume that the state of Earth's climate today is the optimal climate, the best climate that we could have or ever have had and that we need to take steps to make sure that it doesn't change," Griffin said. "I guess I would ask which human beings — where and when — are to be accorded the privilege of deciding that this particular climate that we have right here today, right now is the best climate for all other human beings. I think that's a rather arrogant position for people to take.

Now his ass got to go, I suspect Sith Lord: Dick Cheney has gotten to him, Nancy. :)

Because his ass shouldn't be still working at NASA , if these are truely his beliefs.

"Right now is the best climate for all other human beings."

What the hell is this guy talking about, this guy is on crack. :lol:

What kind of nonsense is this?

NASA is becoming incompetent and corrupt, Nancy. :)

Bush and his useless administration, is bringing it's corruption to the space agency.

The trust in NASA, is seriously waning. :disaprove

I guess the prospect of living under water or living in a new Ice Age: with the shutdown of Northern Atlantic Current, that could cause a Ice Age in the Northern Hemisphere, that could last for centuries to come.

Is not motivating enough!

By the influence of freshwater melting from glaciers that is replacing the dense salt fill seawater, that is being caused by global warming.

This result can possibly cause a Little Ice Age or another Younger Dryas event to occur in the Northern Hemisphere, if nothing is done about this crisis, NOW, not later.

A link to ~The Big Chill- tv program transcript the effects if the Northern Atlantic Current shutdown completely, disscuss by climatologists.

A link to a scientific article Failing ocean current raises fears of mini ice age, from the NewScientist.com news service.

A link to a press release, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 6 December 2005, scientific article.~ Global warming could halt ocean circulation, with harmful results.

Nance, what he said was that he hated people of blind faith who used their religion instead of logic to determine what their nation's politics and education system should be like - such as when certain fundies try to override the fight against global warming simply because it goes against their religion. You have to agree with him that thinking with your Bible instead of your head this way is not a good thing.

With the utmost respect to religion we see this sort of thing happen all the time, and it is wrong. I do believe that people who carry out acts such as abortion clinic bombings or terrorist attacks are not religious, certainly they do not follow their religion. But they do claim to do this because of their religious beliefs. Don't fool yourself into thinking it's about religion, because it's not. It's about power, and people using religion in order to gain that power, whether it be activism against abortion or forcing Western interests out of the Middle East. However to make such comments on religion and the intelligence of those who choose to follow religion goes too far the other way and is something that I see to be an intolerance to religion. Now I could say that people who condemn others for their beliefs are fanantics and that would be a fair and correct description of their behavior. However people labelled as such don't seem to like being termed this way very much so quite simply they cannot have it both ways. They cannot expect to make comments like this and expect no return.

OK, first of all, of course they're religious. A religious person is simply one who believes in a mystical entity such as God, Shiva, Quetzalcoatl the god of cocoa, or Thor with the hammer. And many religions, of which Christianity certainly is amongst them, certainly are violent and definitely contains passages that condone violence.

It's about power, and people using religion in order to gain that power, whether it be activism against abortion or forcing Western interests out of the Middle East.
Western interests such as women's rights and the right to have abortions? Or to walk around without a hijab? Most Western customs opposed by the Middle Easterners are opposed for religious reasons.

Archived