Home

Favorite Game Engine.

Johnpp

Ummm... By game engine we mean, uhhh, A way to describe it!

EX:

Quake 3 engine is a game engine, the original engine was for Quake 3, but then Star wars jedi academy used the same engine, but tweaked it slightly to make it more star wars like.

A lot of other games have used the Q3 engine, but to be honest, the Q3 engine really is not the best 3d engine out there, infact I only like it becuase of editing reasons, not playing reasons.

It's obvious why Halo's engine is so good, but i forget to mention more reasons on why Oblivion's is...the graphics are the best graphics on any game so far and i like the FP and Third Person views....but the most of all, its the night and day times and how you can wait and skip these times...not to mention travelling by selecting an area or city on the Cyrodill map.

The Unreal Engine 3.0. It's cool, it's cutting-edge, it's innovative and finally, it's very versatile.

Gears of War proved that.

+250 cool points to Vaderrocks for most original discussion thread in months.

The Unreal Engines are not only cool, they're extremely adaptable. Republic Commando very closely emulated Halo, there was a successful RTS mod for UT2004, Deus Ex and Deus Ex: Invisible War were famed RPGs set in the Unreal Engine, Undying is, IMO the scariest game ever (Unreal Engine, again!) and so forth.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm very much a fan of the Odyssey engine used by KOTOR 1 & 2 if I could findout who to contact about it I would license the engine to start my career in game development upon. The reasons I like it is because it is because of the easy modability which means it is also easy for those who are not programmers to make content for the game. Also from what I can tell one of the core mechanics is of course the D20 system. The 3D engine itself while possibly not as advanced as others is also a good starting platform. Also the Odyssey engine seems to support a style of Realtime combat that I favor which is a Realtime/Turnbased combo while argued at another forum as Realtime with pause the Kotor games actually possess the best of both Realtime and turnbased from my own observation of the game.

However just a note on game engines everybody. A game engine itself is not what defines perspective inside the game. Infact a good example would be the Gamebryo engine which is the Game Engine Oblivion is built upon. This same game engine is used by Civilization 4. Oblivion is a FPP while Civ 4 is an Isometric viewpoint. Also you will note Pblivion is Realtime while Civ 4 is turnbased.

The Unreal Engine 3.0. It's cool, it's cutting-edge, it's innovative and finally, it's very versatile.

Gears of War proved that.

+250 cool points to Vaderrocks for most original discussion thread in months.

The Unreal Engines are not only cool, they're extremely adaptable. Republic Commando very closely emulated Halo, there was a successful RTS mod for UT2004, Deus Ex and Deus Ex: Invisible War were famed RPGs set in the Unreal Engine, Undying is, IMO the scariest game ever (Unreal Engine, again!) and so forth.

Gears of War is a discrace to gaming and balanced gameplay. Did Oblivion run off the unreal engine or a custom engine?

EDIT: nvm Oblivion runs off Gambryo

Gears of War is a discrace to gaming and balanced gameplay.

However even if the game is considered by you to be a disgrace to gaming and balance this is not a statement on the 3D engine that powers the game. This is mearly a inability by the developer to provide an implementation that you as a game player are satisfied with. However from demo's of gears of war that I've played at game stores I find it hard to call it a disgrace or even to imply shoddy quality.

Archived