Home

Favorite Game Engine.

Johnpp

While Oblivion is a great game, I despise the engine, mainly because my computer with a 6600GT will sometimes stutter on medium/high settings, while my friends's computer with the exact same specs as mine, but a 6800 plays it flawlessly on highest.

Once again this issue can be attributed to the games developer and not the Game Engine. As I mentioned above the Gamebryo Game Engine used by Oblivion is also used by Civilization 4. With my Nividia 5500GEForce-FX I could run Civ 4 with all settings maxed out and never had the graphics choke. Shoot the only reason I upgraded to A 6800GT was because NWN2 refused to run on my 5500. The fact that NWN2 graphics aren't any better than the KOTOR games actually pisses me off because it is caused purely by poor programming on the part of the games developer.

Also your video card is not the only thing that will cause a game to stutter. These things can be caused by insufficient memory or lack of enough virtual memory, or even enough buffer space on your hard drive for temporary game files. Also even if the only difference between specs and settings on your machine is the video card it can also be a result of the onboard hardware of the video card. Many manufacturers have there own additions to video card chipsets to further improve performance beyond the norm or they will include improved video drivers that further optimize the effectiveness of a particular video card.

So what I'm saying is this don't assume that the game engine is crappy because your computer has difficulties with one game. Frequently difficulties with running a game in an optimized fashion are directly results of poor programming by a developer and not the engine that they are using.

The Gamebryo engine was also (sort of) use on Morrowind. It's the fact that the developer's optimized the game for the the Xbox 360 (6800 graphics card equivelent) and kept a lot of bugs and made the pc version a performance behemoth. They also bloated the engine a lot.

EDIT: nvm Oblivion runs off Gambryo

Wow, last I remember, Gambryo was running Civilization IV (and that's one hell of a strategy game!)

Back to GoW, I meant that it was generally well accepted by the public.

AND, seeing how Half-Life 2 is running pretty good on my system, I am inclined to state that the Source engine is very good nonetheless - it offers quality graphics on stupid computers. :D

However even if the game is considered by you to be a disgrace to gaming and balance this is not a statement on the 3D engine that powers the game. This is mearly a inability by the developer to provide an implementation that you as a game player are satisfied with. However from demo's of gears of war that I've played at game stores I find it hard to call it a disgrace or even to imply shoddy quality.

Yeah you should try the multiplayer. Thas what I mean by balanced. The SP is pretty dam good I might add.

Archived