Home

Bastila's role...

Salzella

Saying that KotOR III should go canon with Revan and the Exile on this forum should be ban worthy if you ask me. Not really, but going canon in KotOR III would be completely stupid, lame and unnecessary.

What is the point of even playing KotOR and TSL then? As Emperor Devon said, I would hesitate to call it KotOR III. Use your imagination more. It’s entirely possible to do a ‘workable’ and ‘solid’ storyline in KotOR III without going canon, capish?

Considering the boring, shallow, 2-dimensional and uninteresting characters Obsidian came up with, I'm not particularly keen on "new" characters.

Umm…WTF are you talking about?

i partly agree, partly disagree with that. i'll admit, when i first saw the list of characters, i thought 'rip-off'.

That’s what I thought about KotOR's party members, except for Jolee and HK-47.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh...I completely disagree. There would be ways to fit the story around the players past choices. I don't want my choices and my characters from the past games to simply be discarded like they never existed.

I agree that choices should remain, but think it a bit melodramatic to think in terms of a canon storyline somehow destroying your choices from the first two. Of course, if you've only played either of the first two games once or twice (1 LS/ 1 DS), then perhaps this might be a hangup for you. I've played them enough times that canon wouldn't give me fits of apoplexy, but would still manage to be a wee bit stifling.

it would be nigh-on impossible to make every character choice possible in KOTOR III, it would be daft to try. to a certain extent, canon should play a part. when you have at least four possible ending combinations, 16 (i think) if you include gender, trying to make space for all of them in one game is just not feasible, if you want to have a truly involving game, without it being unecessarily watered down.

it would be nigh-on impossible to make every character choice possible in KOTOR III, it would be daft to try. to a certain extent, canon should play a part. when you have at least four possible ending combinations, 16 (i think) if you include gender, trying to make space for all of them in one game is just not feasible, if you want to have a truly involving game, without it being unecessarily watered down.

You got 4 combinitons for Revan. 4 Combinations for Exile. Just pulls some switches on, and that is it.

Revan is LS, at least Carth is alive (Bastilla as well if Male). Revan is DS, Bastilla is Darth Lord of Sith. Exile is LS, Mical/Handmadien are Jedi. Exile is DS, Mical/Handmadien are Sith.

Remember that, in the big picture, it did not really matter what happened to Revan. Wheter he saved the Republic or prepared for his destruction, he still fled the galaxy to battle the True Sith, leaving the Republic and the Jedi to die. This "big picture" will remain constant in K3, and no matter what alignment the Exile will be set to, he/she will still do something drastic.

The only things that matter is the small differences. Do not account for all changes, but only a couple of things. If Revan is DS, Bastilla will not be sitting on the Jedi Council. All it takes is:

[if Revan=DarkSide, BastillaOnCouncil Is Off.]

Simple. The changes ARE watered down, but are not important, and only exist to make us feel happy. For the most part, it will be a truly involving game.

And what is more involving than changing the fates of the games? Just think about it...Revan falling to the DS has a profound effect on the later games. It makes me feel proud of that, and that provides it an involvment that I do not have with other games.

yeah, granted, but it all depends what the storyline turns out to be. i personally find it highly unlikely the return of Revan will not play a part, in which case all those little changes sort of go out of the window, especially if he (or she) returns with the Exile.

To clarify exactly what my position is just a few things first...

1. If it is to be KOTOR III, then there must be knights...whether this is kinghts of the old order (represented by KOTOR I and II) or knights of a new order(the lost jedi idea from KOTOR II) that remains to be seen.

2. Since they are Knights, there should be a council - again the compostition (light/dark and who) can be worked out several different ways (some of the other posters here (silent scope for one) have pointed out very easy ways to determine this).

3. As we have seen with the Jedi in all of the movies and games to date, there is the council and then those that have not earned enough favor to sit on the council. And only in times of great need are those on the council willing to get out there and risk their own butts(and sometimes not even then(cough, mandolarian wars, cough))!

That being said, I think that Bastilla will have a role and like others on this post - I do not think that it would be too hard to imagine that the developers of the game make her roles in KOTOR I and II canon - leaving her alive for KOTOR III. That being said, considering the importance of Revan, I would think that Revan's companions would definetly have favor with the new council. I think that Bastilla would have a seat if she choose to accept it (whether she does or not may be up in the air). So I think that would eliminate her from a more interactive role with a new PC.

My idea for a mentor of your new PC, would be to make them an individual that has lost favor with the council...I have always envisioned that at least Mical/Brianna, Atton and Bastilla would sit on the council. So who would be a Jedi that posibly would have lost face with this council? I think that a great story idea (only possible by creating canon from KOTOR II possibilities), would be to bring Atris back as a redeemed Jedi who is determined to be a part of the necessary actions to help the galaxy. She would be a great mentor, that would have a lot of great back story dialogue options (considering she was once the Jedi Historian, she has got to have a few stories floating around in that head of hers) - and I have always pictured her as a weaker fighter (due to the fact that she choose to hide in the past and "learn"), so I don't think that it would be too hard to buy into a story line where she is not that much stronger than your new PC to begin the game...

What do you think?

Salzella: I don't know if you trained Atton as a Jedi/Sith in the games or not, but I always did. I felt that part of the reason that Atton was so shifty to begin with was the fact that he had not accepted his heritage/ability/affinity to the/of the/with the force...when trained to accept that part of his life, I always felt that his character would become a little more "stable". But hey, that's just my opinion and since I am not a developer (or George), I can not determine "canon" - I can only offer ideas!

I don’t know so much Angelos Kumani. I tend to think that if your Exile spared Atris in TSL, then she went on a self imposed exile and therefore wouldn’t be seen regardless in KotOR III. Or there’s the other possibility that if your Exile spared Atris, then the Sith holocrons killed her, since they do not abide failure.

Either way, I’d rather not see that narrow-minded, rude, bigoted schutta in KotOR III at all. I can see the vividness in your idea, but seriously, Atris sucks big time. If it were assumed that Atris lives no matter what in KotOR III, then I think it’d be a nice side-quest or main-quest to kill her….again!

• 3 weeks later...

Someone with a lot of controversy. Canderous was sort of this, but I'm talking like someone who is tainted within the republic. Before you start bunching up your collective panties and flarimg me, consider that a controversial character could make for an interesting storyline? (couldn't hurt)

For example, a freedom fighter who has been put to the wayside because some of his (or her--but I can't imagine her being very attractive--unless she were like chun li from street fighter, but that would kind of ruin the point of the character) action that came under scrutiny. Accusations of corruption and racism or something.

The point being you have a renegade on your team, and like him or her, you are both on the 'outside', yet it seems like nobody on the 'inside' has the resolve to fix the current catastrophe. Ad perhaps a faction from within (though not at the top) has made it that way--perhaps indirectly but eventually responsible for your troubles?

The character--sort of like someone who has a past of KKK who eventually saw through it and changed; regardless, someone will dig up dirt and hyperbolize it in the media. This person now can't do anything right in the eyes of the public unless it were something stupendously huge. And it in turn contradicts the very heart ofthe negative view that the majority seems to have.

Canderous was sort of like this--now perhaps the character is one who was once part of the republic but too tainted in the republics eyes to be effective in a political sense withjin the republic--though is like canderous in most respects. Someone you could play good cop-bad cop with while you interrogate somebody.

Maybe a bit like how Finis Valorum was brought down, from power. (and eventually assasinated --all culminated by palpatine) If you read the SW republic #63.

Except the scourge who plagues him--who you will eventually kill-- is instead not at the top, but around. Black market ish on the other side of things. Your renegade knew about this but could not bring the faction down--though you could.

Could be a district attourney of a lawyer's guild. Lawyers are just as bad as politicians. Anybody ever read the (I think) john grisham series?

The street lawyer, for example? One Lawyer sees the richy-rich lawyers for what they really are or have become. And decides to start his own firm in a ghetto. He is scruitnized for it.

THERE'S a set of good reads for ya!

• 1 month later...

I hope they don't bring back G0T0 or mandalore at all for that matter. Unless he has a violent death on screen and you don't have to stop it. I never got why he shows up in TSL. He was a nice character on K1 and in the 2nd he was just a waste of pixels. I hope they pick some of the lost jedis from TSL and at least clear up what happened to the characters from K1 (in case your LS) Did they die on Katarr or not?? If not maybe cameos as NPCs.

GOTO is unlikely to return, since his death in the cut content LS ending of TSL was since accepted into canon by the New Essential Guide to Droids, which mentions his destruction at Malachor V. That being the case, he could only return in K3 if the Exile is set to DS by the player, which seems more trouble than it's worth, especially since EVERYBODY seems to hate GOTO. I hated him too, although I thought he was an excellent character - the sort you love to hate ;)

Well put. Besides, it can be dangerous to mess with something that has already become classic. More often than not it takes away from rather than adds to.

Not necessarily. It just depends on whether another good story could be told and added to the character's agenda. Substance is all that matters.

If Revan is in KotOR III, then Bastila must be also. As far as we know, they are both still alive, they still love each other (if Revan was LSM), Revan is still fighting the True Sith, and Bastila is still looking for him. I would much prefer for them to be in the game and get to experience the closure of all these things than to have it told to me.

If Bastilla does appear in K3 she should just be a NPC (not even a party member) without a major role in the plot. I played K1 LSM, but there's always the possibility that she's dead dependig on your choices. Using her in a key role would make the game far more complicated for the devs. The time they would waste solving this should be put to better use (story and character development) so we don't end up with another disciple for example.

^^^

I do actually like Bastila, But I definitely agree that the Dev's should put all there effort into a good story and Character, rather than trying to get there heads around who should be dead or alive, dark or light etc.

Its not going to please everyone whatever they do.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived