Home

Bastila's role...

Salzella

lets not forget, this would be the final, the last kotor game most like,y at the end i'd like to see lots of our former characters, or perhaps right at the start of the game u are with a former character and they die quickly, like how trask did, but as people in ur party i'd only be for bringing back HK-47, T3 and perhaps another 1 or 2 people we have had before, after that, everyone should be new

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see why people use the fact that Bastilla can be killed in KOTOR 1 as a excuse to not have her in KOTOR 3 since KOTOR 2 assumes that Revan either redeemed Ajunta Pall if he/she was Light Side and destroyed Ajunta Pall if he/she was Dark Side.

The problem here is that not only is going to the cave optional but you don't even need to do anything to Ajunta to get his sword. Also a Light Side Revan could have gotten the answer to the riddle wrong and Ajunta could have attacked him/her and Revan destroyed him in self defense.

Really assuming Revan did anything is a bit presumptuous since what determines the ending in KOTOR 1 is what you say at the Rakata Temple. So for example you could have a pure Light Side Revan who did all the good things (redeemed Ajunta Pall,helped Dustil,Killed Chunnder) and be a perfect little Jedi but then decide to join Bastilla at the temple. Vice versa for a Dark Sider.

It seems obvious that things will have changed in about 6 years, not least the party members.

I think Bastila should become a Dark Jedi - no matter what decisions were made in the first game, her path to darkness seems to have been preset by the storyline: the Light Side Bastila had grown attatched to Revan - whether just as a friend, or as a lover - and as such would feel bitter about his/her departure.

"It would have helped had he made her understand. But she was always strong-willed, that one, and did not understand war as Revan did." - Darth Traya

And the schmo hasn't even called in five years! As the Jedi say: relationships are dangerous. Obviously, if she followed a Dark Side Revan she'll end up the same way - probably even more hateful having found that she couldn't hold Revan's Sith Empire together on her own.

I'm not sure whether she should return as a party member - like people have said, her story has mostly been told. Still, there are some loose ends and I think if Revan is going to return then so too should Bastila, as their destinies are very much connected. A confrontation between the two would, no doubt, be fantastic.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
What do you think it should be? We know she survives, when the exile goes to look for Revan, so what role should she play in KOTOR III?

I would like to see her as a party character once again, alongside (probably) Revan, but maybe not everyone actually likes Bastila, hence this thread ;)

If a storyteller were to bring them back into the fold, I personally believe they are not creative enough to move forward. Bastila, Revan, Handmaiden, Mira, etc... In order to bring people to a third game, I think they should move away from repeate characters and stories.

I can see Bastila, Carth and the droids returning in KOTOR III (if one is ever made). However as for the characters in KOTOR II, I don't see any of them coming back mainly because they have played their parts and that they were lesser known figures than Carth Onasi or Bastila Shan and her Battle Meditation (the only exception being Canderous and the EHawk of course:D).

If there is a KOTOR III, I can see Bastila acting as sort of a Carth/Kreia character in the sense that the main character (Coruscant Padawan?) would be her apprentice and together they would seek out Revan and the "true sith", or you start out with Bastila as your first allie. I could see Carth coming back as a supporting PC since he and Revan became friends basically, and he did show concern for him. The rest of the cast (besides the droids) would probably be all new for purposes of the story, Juhani and Jolee could possibly make a cameo, maybe Mira could make a brief appearance idk.

Bastila was mainly used as a way to have romance and compassion in the main character. She was a good character and helped move the plot along. The same goes with Carth Onasi.

But I personally wouldn't like Bastila as a character in Kotor III. I would rather have Carth Onasi (Or Dustil), Hk47, T3M4 (Because Kotor isn't Kotor without those two characters. Mandalore, and a cast of completely new characters. But with more aliens this time to help with diversity

• 2 weeks later...

The only one which have any reason to be in the party in Kotor3 would be T3-M4 because of the Navi Computer. Hk-47's comments were funny in Kotor, but tedious in Kotor2, no need to see any more of that particular droid. Canderous already has the task of gathering the clans. It was ridiculous that he could join the party in Kotor2. In kotor3 he should only appear in cut-scenes if even that. His story has been told.

I agree. IMO HK-47's usefulness now lies downward (as much as I like the character, I don't see him having much use anymore, and I know people want him to be stuck with T3-M4 because of C-3PO and R2-D2, but HK and T3 don't have that same chemistry. In K1 IDR either one saying anything to each other.) I say just get him on a Republic cruiser and send both to Mustafar, bridging that gap.

Canderous, well, he has a bunch of Mandos to rally, so he'll be occupied.

T3-M4 I would have to say is the only lock (as a K3 party member) because he is critical to the plot, and is the only one besides Revan who knows where Revan went (assuming K3 is about Revan [considering K1 starred Revan and K2 mentioned him so many times])

That doesn't mean the other characters can't make appearances, though. I just don't think they would work as party members again.

About the only interaction that T3 and HK had as members of your party amounted to a quick 1-2 line exchange (Korriban, Dantooine and Tatoine....don't know of others). I don't think Bastila really needs any bigger a role than what she got in TSL or maybe several cutscenes in any new game (maybe she's one of the people that sends you out on your quest to find Revan or whatever your objective is, as finding Revan could be like an icing on the cake thing).

• 2 weeks later...

Well Revan didn't leave the Republic to die...because if you recall GOTO (Or someone else, not sure) said, Revan left major parts of the Republic intact as if he didn't want to destroy them, because if he didn't..well the Republic wouldn't be in TSL then, would they?

If you got enough influence with Kreia, she said that Revan may have went DS because he felt it was necessary (Ala, I'll start war on the Jedi and the Republic, defeat Malak, and leave so that the Sith will self-destruct.)

Maybe Revan has some master plan in the works the includes the Jedi, Republic and the Sith...Who honestly knows?

To be honest I'd be in favour of entirely new characters. Even the old ones that came back in TSL felt a bit... iffy to me, though that's probably because I became too attached to my own interpretation of Revan and kept thinking "That wouldn't happen!"

I love HK-47 as much as anyone else, but I think his kind of humour would begin to lose it's charm if they just kept bringing him back. Hell, my cynical side just rolled it's eyes at the HK army in TSL because it felt like someone had thought "He's popular, so let's make this game better by cloning him! I mean, one HK clearly isn't enough for people!". Similarly, though I preferred TSL T3's personality, I think it'd be weird to bring him back again.

I'm aware that as it's a sequel they can hardly detach entirely from the old characters, but I think that apart from any small cameos they deem necessary any returners should be minor characters like Griff and Dustil (And at least with Griff we wouldn't have the "Oh crap what if the player killed him?" problem).

As for Bastila... I wouldn't mind her being a Jedi Master of sorts, but I think as far as her appearances go it should be nothing more than a cameo as she searches for Revan in the Unknown Regions. If they keep bringing back all these old major characters and pointing at them, new players will feel alienated, and some old players may be uncomfortable with the canon interpretation of their old favourites.

Bastila should be dead in K3.

With her important connections to Revan, the Jedi Council sends you on a mission to find/rescue her from another faction looking for Revan, but you're too late. Details are kept purposely ambiguous--you aren't trusted, they don't want information to fall into the wrong hands if you're captured, whatever.

That way you give a nod to an important character in the series, resolve her story, and yet don't need to deal with separate storylines to suit the various player choices from the previous games.

I know people would love for the developer to make 16 different detailed variations of the game based on LS/DS and male/female choices for both the Exile and Revan, but it's just not practical.

• 2 months later...

I think she should be a major character but not necessarily a party member. I also think she would be a good temporary person to have helping you. Or something. Surely its possible to give her a memorable part without too much confusion? I they could make cameos out of Carth and Bastila in KOTOR II, then couldn't they just go a little extra in the next game? I think its hinted that despite everything and despite any alignment differences, she will go searching for Reven soon?

I apologize if this has been brought up already, but didn't the Jedi get purged? The Exile was supposed to be the last Jedi. I know some of the council members were in hiding, but they were exceptions, I thought. I was a big fan of the romance story and of Bastila, but the more Jedi that survived the purge the less TSL means to me.

Most of them are hiding. Kreia states that the companions they traveled with will either help restore the order or become Jedi killers. Obviously if they become Dark Jedi, and slay Jedi along their way, the Order must have been at least somewhat restored, wouldn't that be right logically?

Ah - thanks, very informative. That makes sense with my 2nd thoughts about Bastila's fate and potential role in K3. I need a 2nd play-through, for sure. I remember hearing that now that you said it but I never would have thought of it. Appreciated!

I'm aware that as it's a sequel they can hardly detach entirely from the old characters, but I think that apart from any small cameos they deem necessary any returners should be minor characters like Griff and Dustil (And at least with Griff we wouldn't have the "Oh crap what if the player killed him?" problem).

Actually, both of those charachters CAN be killed during the game. In the case of Griff, though, you probably have to be DS enough to get that option (killed him at least 1x or 2x).

What do you think it should be? We know she survives, when the exile goes to look for Revan, so what role should she play in KOTOR III?. . . .

I think it should be to prance around in her underwear. She' hawt! :D

Seriously? I think that her story (as an apprentice) has been told. If she's in the next game--if there is a "next game"--the story would likely dictate that she be a Jedi Master as that was the route implied in KOTOR.

Personally, I'd prefer that the developers of this next game resist the urge (that many of us have, myself included) to "get the old gang back together". That way lies story death and stale gameplay. That said, if KOTOR III should center on Revan, then having Bastila in it seems natural. If Revan plays no part in it except for off-screen references, I'd rather they leave her off-screen as well.

My two cents.

(But I still really like the prancing idea! lol)

Archived