Home

PC of KotOR III's force connection?

The Architect

Should the PC of KotOR III be someone who has used the force prior to the beginning of the game and is weak at the start for plot reasons like Revan in KotOR and the Exile in TSL were or not? In other words, should the PC of KotOR III be someone who has to regain their formerly strong connection to the force, like Revan and the Exile did?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's difficult, because to me it would seem strange that three different people somehow lose their power, and eventually gain it back, becoming more powerful than before, more powerful than most other force users. once is good, 2 is forgiveable, but if it happened a third time it would feel... forced i guess. mind you, it would be difficult to have anither useable game mechanic suitable for the game KOTOR III is most likely going to be... i'm not sure. if they can think of some way to do the same thing in a new style, as they did with the Exile, then they should.

Being the Sith'ra, or at least of True Sith blood might suffice as a good motivator, especially for a Non-Force Senstive who just discovered the Force. Hey, destiny and procpheries played a major motivation and reason for Anakain Skywalker to become a hero in the Star Wars series.

But yeah, I would like some explaination as long as it is good. Allows us to suspend disbelief.

well, Luke was sort of trained by Obi-wan, and there was probably a great deal of training outside the scenes in Ep. IV, though i see what you're saying. plus, having no training would make the choices between Light Side and Dark Side seem more feasable, if you see what i mean. anything could happen.

I honestly think it should be someone who never considered the force or the Jedi in his life. So im thinking some sort of shop keeper on a remote planet who gets sucked into the journey of his life. From that they have endless possibilities.

I totally agree. Of course it is necessary that he's force sensitive, but he could eventually just be a above average Jedi, not as powerful as Revan or the Exile (story-wise, I still want him and his party to benefit from the same character system of course).

Having again a Jedi that "lost" his knowledge would be a little.. uncreative.

Okay (and I have addressed this point before), but let’s say:

a) KotOR III is a follow up of TSL where we actually see what happens to Revan, the Exile and co in this whole True Sith fiasco, so we fight the True Sith and all that crap. You get the point here, right? It means you’ll have to be powerful.

b) We start off as some nobody. Someone on some half assed, back water outer-rim world who has never been, and isn’t affiliated with any major faction like the Jedi, the Sith, the Republic or the Mandalorians at the start of the game. I don’t for instance like the idea of being forced to begin as some new padawan on Coruscant, that is not good from a role-playing perspective.

c) The PC of KotOR III has never used the force prior to the beginning of the game. In other words, he/she is new to the force at the start of KotOR III.

So how do you explain how the PC starts off as someone who’s new to the force at the start of the game and at the latter stages of the game is powerful? We agree that the PC of KotOR III has to be powerful, right? I’m not saying that he/she has to be as powerful as Yoda, Luke, Palpatine or Revan, but still, he/she has to be powerful.

How can you go from a new comer to a powerful hero/villain/whatever in a matter of weeks, months, a year or however long the story (from start to finish) of KotOR III spans across? Unless the PC of KotOR III is someone with a force connection that is even greater than Anakin’s (which is impossible) I don’t see how the devs could explain the PC’s rapid increase in power.

I don’t know about you, but I’d find it dodgy if someone whose only used the force for a few months or so could defeat any True Sith or whoever the big guns or major villains are in KotOR III.

We got a reason for Revan (powerful amnesic ex-Dark Lord strategist) and we got one for the Exile (exiled Jedi Knight wound in the force) so what’s it going to be for the PC of KotOR III?

Unless someone can come up with a great reason, personally I think that the PC has to be someone who once again, lost their powers, and regains them in KotOR III. I know it’s repetitive, but I think it’s a necessity. So discuss your ideas on this folks.

I do have one idea where the PC has used the force prior to the beginning of KotOR III, but instead of losing his/her powers, something else happened, which has made him/her weak at the start.

What if the PC of KotOR III was a Grey Jedi trained by Jolee Bindo on Kashyyyk during the Mandalorian Wars? Don’t ask how and why you were on Kashyyyk in the first place (there could be a good reason for that), but perhaps, when the JCW began, you left Kashyyyk and tried to protect your homeworld from the Sith, but they destroyed it.

The Sith captured you, but you escaped (whether someone helped you escape or not, I don’t know) and when the JCW ended and the threat of The Sith Lords cropped up, you went into hiding, so you’ve been out of action for a while. After the defeat of The Sith Lords, you pop up again. Crappy idea isn’t it? But, youse get the point anyway, right?

Well, maybe you could start out as like a lowly-nobody on Coruscant, with no knowledge of the Force whatsoever. A flashback is seen with the player as a child, being bullied by other kids and then out of nowhere, Force Pushes them onto the environment around, killing them with the impact. The player then grows arrogant and starts getting onto dodgy deals and such, mostly with the Exchange, not knowing his power, thinking it's magic. One fateful mission leads the player onto some Jedi who disrupt the mission. They then "hire" you, wanting you to kill the crimelord. As you reach the room, you are suddenly knocked out cold. You then wake up on a cage with guards and the crimelord around you. Suddenly, you Force Push the cage's door, roll onto the ground, and Force Pushing everybody. You take off the gun/sword of one guard and start fighting one of the Crimelord's elite guard when you Force Push (yeah, i know, alot of Force Pushes xD) the ceiling over the elite guard. Your corner the crimelord, and blast/slash (depends on your starter class) a counter. You look at it, and then somehow absorb the electricity and fry the crimelord with an unbeknownst to you, Force Lightning.

I could continue this, but you probably are catching my drift and thinking this as lame.

I honestly think it should be someone who never considered the force or the Jedi in his life. So im thinking some sort of shop keeper on a remote planet who gets sucked into the journey of his life. From that they have endless possibilities.

Ahhh, i dont think that would work too well...the Exile was good and was able to fit into the TSL story well, but a new character!? again!? if they do that then Revan and the Exile will be mentioned as history.

Maybe the PC could be a Force Sensitive person who doesn't realise it and near the beginning, he is told by a Jedi he/she is Force Sensitive and get trained. This way, it wouldn't be someone who lost their connection to the Force and they had been Force Sensitive all their life, which wouldn't mean they'd become powerful over a day, since it seems both Revan and the Exile become really powerful.

@Herbie: Yes, there name could be Klee Shay :xp:

I think the problem with KotOR III is generally that there is a problem of avoiding hackneyed choices in the story, the plot, the characters etc.

No matter what you do, *someone* is going to accuse you of being hackneyed, stale and unoriginal.

If you have a new character who has no memory, but is a unique UB@R Force user, you're going to be pulling the same trick again.

If you reintroduce a previous character, you're going to be accused of alienating the new audience, and being unoriginal, cliched etc etc ad nauseam.

So it's tough.

There is a third choice, which is that you DO know what's going one. How does that work? One of your companions could be the one who has no idea what's going on. Suppose it's one of the Primaries, I mean like Carth/Bastila, Kreia/Atton etc..., you can pretty well guarantee they will ask you questions regularly. Particularly if you have similar backstory cues as in KotOR I...

THe only thing with that is that the character needs to have at least some combat training for the start of the game...

I don’t for instance like the idea of being forced to begin as some new padawan on Coruscant, that is not good from a role-playing perspective.

What if the PC of KotOR III was a Grey Jedi trained by Jolee Bindo on Kashyyyk during the Mandalorian Wars? Don’t ask how and why you were on Kashyyyk in the first place (there could be a good reason for that), but perhaps, when the JCW began, you left Kashyyyk and tried to protect your homeworld from the Sith, but they destroyed it.

Isn't that the same thing as being a member of the Jedi Academy, stuck on a planet (Corasuant) where you are not supposed to question?

Actually, to me, limitations and some background details are okay, as long as we can fill it in. For example, the Exile's background and Revan's background are predeterimined. But very important details are kept...secret.

Revan: Why did Revan want to save the Republic? Did Revan truly fall?

Exile: Why did Exile went off to war? Does the Exile regret his desicion at Malachor V?

I think having a nice background is conductive to roleplaying. Remember the main goal: You are playing a "role", and able to improv and embliessh on that role to have fun.

There is a third choice, which is that you DO know what's going one. How does that work? One of your companions could be the one who has no idea what's going on. Suppose it's one of the Primaries, I mean like Carth/Bastila, Kreia/Atton etc..., you can pretty well guarantee they will ask you questions regularly. Particularly if you have similar backstory cues as in KotOR I...

This is a concept I would rather have than most out there. And also I would rather have your playable character start out as a force sensitive, who knows what's going on in the galaxy, and knows what his/her mission is.

Jason Skywalker, yeah sorry. :) I don't see why you'd end up becoming powerful in a short amount of time with your idea.

Darth InSidious, what you said is true and is all well and good, but ah sorry, what does it have to do with my topic?

So Pottsie, you are basically saying that the PC has been training as a Jedi before the game begins? It is similar to my old idea where the PC starts off as a padawan on the verge of becoming a Jedi Knight. I guess I wouldn’t mind this idea if the PC was born on Coruscant, otherwise, it just feels too forced and biased towards the LS.

Isn't that the same thing as being a member of the Jedi Academy, stuck on a planet (Corasuant) where you are not supposed to question?

Hence the reason why I said crappy idea, isn’t it? :lol:

Actually, to me, limitations and some background details are okay, as long as we can fill it in. For example, the Exile's background and Revan's background are predeterimined. But very important details are kept...secret.

Revan: Why did Revan want to save the Republic? Did Revan truly fall?

Exile: Why did Exile went off to war? Does the Exile regret his desicion at Malachor V?

I think having a nice background is conductive to roleplaying. Remember the main goal: You are playing a "role", and able to improv and embliessh on that role to have fun.

As interesting as Revan and the Exile’s back stories were, I don’t want the PC of KotOR III to have a pre-determined background. It’s not good from a role-playing perspective, as it’s forced.

I don’t want the PC of KotOR III to have been affiliated with the Jedi, the Sith or the Republic before the game starts, hence another forced, pre-determined background, nor do I want to be forced to be affiliated with a major faction like the Republic or the Jedi at the start of KotOR III.

If I am forced to begin as a padawan on Coruscant in KotOR III, then I want to know why I’m there in the first place. Not all of us are goody-goody Jedi/Republic ass kissers or are LS’ders. It’s too biased. No character of mine would join the Jedi willingly, so why would my character start off as a padawan on Coruscant for?

I’d rather the PC of KotOR III’s background not be addressed at all. Just keep it a fresh, plain background. No Mandalorian War hero, amnesic ex-Dark Lord or exiled Jedi Knight wound in the force.

Just simple stuff. The PC of KotOR III would know his/her background, so there would be no reason for him/her to ask about it. I don’t mind if someone (whether it be a party member or not) asks you about your background in KotOR III, but I don’t want it to end up being: “I was a Jedi Knight who fought in the Mandalorian Wars” or something like that.

I’d like to make up my own background (if it’s necessary, depending on whether anyone asks you about your background or not). I’d rather one of your party members be someone with the great destiny, massive background and ultra talent.

Post 11# of mine in this thread sums up why it's going to be difficult for the devs to incorporate a third PC into KotOR III. A new PC is a must of course, but it will be hard for the devs to do if you ask me.

As interesting as Revan and the Exile’s back stories were, I don’t want the PC of KotOR III to have a pre-determined background. It’s not good from a role-playing perspective, as it’s forced.

Guess we got differnet definitions of Role-Playing.

For you, role playing involves the creating of a new character, giving it personality and such. Then, you are thrown into the world on a path by the DM, regardless of the personality of that character. A generic campagin really.

For me...Role Playing means that you are given a character and then allowed to do whatever you want with it. You are thrown into the world on a path by the DM, tailored to the character's history. You decide what you want to do.

Revan and Exile were, to me, pre-generated Characters. The DMs (Bioware and Obsidian) handed you the character sheets. It is up to you to then deterimine how you take your character.

Sure, you are FORCED to take that character sheet, but remember that the KOTOR series still allow you much freedom. You are not allowed, for example, to side with the DS in most other star wars games. And your siding with the DS in those Star Wars Games usually is declared not cannon. Instead, in the KOTOR series, your actions has a profound effect on the future of the galaxy.

If I am forced to begin as a padawan on Coruscant in KotOR III, then I want to know why I’m there in the first place. Not all of us are goody-goody Jedi/Republic ass kissers or are LS’ders. It’s too biased. No character of mine would join the Jedi willingly, so why would my character start off as a padawan on Coruscant for?

I myself love Dark Sided characters, and for me, will usually declare them to be canon. I also do dislike being forced to join the Jedi Order in K1, so I sympathize with your point. However, you answered your own question. Your chacter of yours did not join the Jedi willingly...your character joined it unwillingly.

They were possibly captured by the Jedi Order, maybe as a child. Prehaps you were one of those Force Senstives that was uprooted by Vaklu's troopers in Onderon. Obivously, you hate the Jedi, and serving them...that was the biggest insult. At least the good news is that you now have the Force, and you can finally wreck your vengance against the Jedi Order.

I’d like to make up my own background (if it’s necessary, depending on whether anyone asks you about your background or not). I’d rather one of your party members be someone with the great destiny, massive background and ultra talent.

Isn't THAT nonconductive to RolePlaying as well? You have one NPC who is the one with great destiny, massive background, ultra talent. That NPC would do whatever he so pleases, and YOU cannot stop him. Unless you implement some sort of "Infulence" that you have on the NPC, this NPC can do whatever he/she wants, and will destroy the True Sith Order. He will reward rewards, while you receive...nothing. The story is focused on the NPC...and not on you.

You will be overshadowed by an NPC, and you will not feel as important. Ego-stroking is needed for players to encourge them to play...otherwise, why would they play?

--

As I say, I sympathize with your points, but I do think a PC needs some sort of force connection and background information. Though, actually...the background may not be needed, all that is truly required is the Force Connection..and I think that could be sasitifed with being called True Sith blood, being a relative of Revan, or being the Promised One.

Though, to be fair, without a background, all you get is a GENERIC campagin. That might be...boring. I would prefer "fax freedom" and an pre-generated character sheet (of someone other than Revan and Exile) and a very gerat storyline tailored to that Character Sheet over having full freedom over your character's history...and a very boring storyline to go along with it.

Post 11# of mine in this thread sums up why it's going to be difficult for the devs to incorporate a third PC into KotOR III. A new PC is a must of course, but it will be hard for the devs to do if you ask me.

That's why they get paid for doing this sort of work. :)

EDIT:

I think the problem with KotOR III is generally that there is a problem of avoiding hackneyed choices in the story, the plot, the characters etc.

No matter what you do, *someone* is going to accuse you of being hackneyed, stale and unoriginal.

I'm going to have to concur with this. True Sith blood is the best hope, but even then, it's still hackneyed, stale and unoriginal.

Still, trying to think of something...

(You are sent to destroy the True Sith, and you realize that you are the only one to destroy the True Sith because...[iNSERT SOMETHING INTERESTING, NON-HACKNEYED, NON-STALE AND TOTALLY ORIGINAL].)

Archived