Home

[NSW-Fic] Murtagh

((I decided to try this out on you guys first, before I go put it at Inheritance Forums, aka Eragon Forums.))

21.jpg

Prologue

Selena came out of her and Morzan’s bedroom carrying a newborn baby. Morzan looked at the baby with disgust.

“That’s all we need is a kid running around the house.” Morzan muttered to himself.

“What?” Selena asked him.

“Nothing…” Morzan replied.

Morzan left the house, leaving Selena alone with her child.

“Murtagh…” She whispered.

The little boy giggled at the sound of his name.

----------------------------------------------------------

When Murtagh was three, he was running around the house like a newborn baby Dragon, such speed and agility were uncommon in the human race. Finally Morzan had, had enough of Murtagh’s foolishness… or so that’s what Morzan called it. He unsheathed Zar’roc and threw it at him. The blade cut right through Murtagh’s back, and he was knocked unconscious. Selena came running into the room and found Murtagh on the floor, but Zar’roc was no where close to Murtagh, and Morzan was gone. Selena picked Murtagh up and ran him to Uru’baen’s town healer.

When Murtagh was laying down, face and chest against a bed, the healer came out and shooed Selena away. Selena was pacing outside. After two hours, the healer came out, looking grim.

“What, is he going to be ok?” Selena asked.

“Murtagh will be fine, but I’m afraid that he will have a scar running down his back.” Gertrude, the town healer, who later moved to Carvahall, said.

Selena let out a sigh of relief and rushed into the room and picked up Murtagh, then took him immediately home. Morzan was sitting in a chair when the two got home.

“Where have you been?” Morzan asked, a bit of anger welling up in his voice.

“You know exactly where I’ve been, Morzan. You threw Zar’roc at Murtagh, because you don’t like him, you never did. I am not foolish.” Selena said.

Morzan started to throw Zar’roc at her, but he re-sheathed it, when he knew that she would leave and tell Galbatorix that Murtagh was his son. Morzan was ready to mutter the word Brisngr, but didn’t. Instead he sighed and walked into his bedroom and went to bed. That night, Selena slept in Murtagh’s room, fearing that Morzan would wake up and try to kill Murtagh.

Chapter 1

When Murtagh was three, Galbatorix had called Morzan to destroy the raising rebellion under one of the last of the Rider’s, Brom. The Varden was the name of the rebel group, but to Murtagh all he knew was his father was going to come back with the head of some guy that he didn’t know. When Morzan left, Selena hired a nanny to keep watch over Murtagh, making her swear to keep his entire being safe from Morzan, just in case she wasn’t back by the time Morzan was. Murtagh started crying when he saw his mother leave, she was the only one who had shown him compassion and love.

“Don’t worry, Murtagh, she’ll return soon.” Elana, the nanny said softly.

That kept Murtagh from crying….. for a while.

Well the next two months went by smoothly, but on the first day of the third month… Murtagh’s house was attacked. Elana ran and hid Murtagh in a barrel that was empty, and was clearly labeled Beer. Murtagh sat in the barrel for over two hours, but when no one came to get him, he started banging on side of the barrel. There were a few servants that returned to the house later that evening. They found him banging on the barrel and took him out. By the time he was laid down to go to sleep, he was already fast asleep. Selena soon returned, but she was very ill.

Murtagh stood by his mother’s side day after day… then Galbatorix’s men came beating on the door. They said the Morzan was dead, and that all servants were to go to the palace to serve Galbatorix. Three servants decided to stay and take care of Selena, and when she was healed they would go to the palace. Day after day, Selena got worse, then one day when Murtagh had just turned four, she died. When Selena died, the servants buried her and left the house, taking Murtagh with them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Murtagh is taken by the king from the servants and placed under the care of one of his body guards, anyone the Murtagh chooses. Murtagh just picked the first one he saw, because he was tired, and they went to his room. Murtagh went to sleep quickly. When Murtagh awoke the next morning, he found the body guard whom he had chosen the day before asleep by the door, in a chair. Murtagh silently slipped over to him and then started banging on his helmet. The man grabbed a hold of his helmet and it stopped shaking, but it was a few minutes until the ringing in his ears stopped.

“What was that for?” The man asked.

“I’m hungry…” Murtagh replied.

The man rolled his eyes and the two silently slipped into the dining room, where a few of Murtagh’s servants were awaiting him.

“What would like to eat Murtagh?” Eshal, the cook, asked.

Murtagh sat there silently for a few minutes until he finally said, “I don’t know.”

The cook winced. “I’ll just surprise you.”

Murtagh went and sat down at the table, yet he was still to small to see completely over the table’s height.

The man, who was now his body guard, laughed. He picked Murtagh up and sat him on his right leg, so he could see over the table. Eshal walked out carrying a platter of food, but before she could open it, Galbatorix came in and took Murtagh and his body guard away. He took them to the throne room, where he had them sit at a small round table.

“Tornac…” Galbatorix’s voice rumbled with the absolute power that a king has, “I want you to protect this boy at all costs. No matter what happens.”

Tornac bowed and quickly left with Murtagh, before the king could do anything that might put him or Murtagh in jeopardy. Tornac sighed and took Murtagh to his room. By now, Murtagh had forgotten all about his hunger, and sat in the middle of his floor playing with a leaf that had blown into the room. Tornac sighed one last time before laying down on the bed, and putting Murtagh beside himself. Murtagh and Tornac were soon fast asleep, until a loud knock bellowed throughout the room.

Tornac rubbed his eyes and said, “Come in.”

When the door opened, Tornac saw the most beautiful woman, that he had ever seen. She had silky blonde hair, her facial features were so… invigorating, her cheek bones were high, her nose was narrow, and her eyes were a pool of dark blue. She was surprised to see him in the room with Murtagh.

“Can I help you?” Tornac asked, yawning ever so slightly.

“I am here to see the boy.” She said.

“Of course, of course…” Tornac mumbled and got up to close the door.

The woman sat upon the bed, and Tornac stayed up against the door. The woman muttered something, that he didn’t understand. But when she got up, she looked very disappointed.

“What is it?” Tornac asked her.

“Hmmm? Oh, nothing… I just tried to get rid of his scar.” She replied.

“How?” Tornac asked.

“With magic of course!” She said.

“So… you’re a sorceress?” Tornac asked.

She bit her bottom lip, before reluctantly saying yes. She pulled a glove on to her right hand, and started to leave.

“Uhhh……. Maybe you’d like to go out to eat sometime?” Tornac asked, blocking the door.

The woman smiled before saying, “I’d love to, but I can’t. You see I’m far older than you think.”

“Well how old are you?” He asked.

“Let’s just say, that I saw the Dragon Rider’s fall.” She replied kindly.

His eyes grew huge. “That was nearly one hundred years ago.”

She silently walked out of the room, and Tornac went back to bed.

Archived