Home

Jedi Knight Series vs KOTOR

Gug Eyewalker

• 2 weeks later...

JK series for one simple reason... Multiplayer

i agree tho that the JK story has gone downhill since JO but the orginal storys from DF, JK and MotS are classic and i love them

JK's MP kicks the crap out of alot of games MP to this day its fast and extremly fun when you get the right ammount of people :twogun:

• 3 months later...

KOTOR may have better graphics, but you have to remember what engine JKA/JKO run off of. The Quake 3 engine was made back in the 90's, but I bet KOTORs was made in 200#.

You got to admit, JA did edit a lot of the Q3 engine code. The models are also a lot higher poly than Q3's.

I would say JA/JO did pretty well with the materials they had.

KOTOR has an exponentially better story.

JK story blows (JA specifically)

JK engine, though fun to pull off acrobatics in, looks unrealistic and cheesy (ie lightsaber swings, arms look awkward.)

KOTOR gives off the closest nostalgia to the Star Wars movies possible. You ARE the main character in a story about fighting to save the galaxy.

JK lets you play as friends of the main characters of the Star Wars series, ie Luke/Chewie. Lame. You get to kill the main villain, so what? Luke probably would have done it in half the time.

Final personal rating ratio; KOTOR:JK = 5:2

KOTOR may have better graphics, but you have to remember what engine JKA/JKO run off of. The Quake 3 engine was made back in the 90's, but I bet KOTORs was made in 200#.

Don't bother with graphics. Of course JK did fine with what they had at the time, but Kotor didn't, the graphics could have been better. Why haven't Bioware and then Obsidian didn't focused on it as JK developers did? Because JK is a shooter, an FPS more precisely, and that's the kind of game that demands good graphics.

Yeah, no matter what the fans (like myself) may say: Kotor graphics are reasonable, mediocre, 5.0.

I like both. Dark Forces was the one which started me into Star Wars games, and I love the Jedi Knight series.

Jedi Academy did slip though. I felt it could've been alot better, but multiplayer kept it going.

KotOR had a good storyline, but some missions were back and forth and got boring. The fights were great though, but I felt it would've been better to just have a lightsaber then spend half the game trying to get one. The mods really have kept this game alive all these years.

I give Jedi Knight 4.5/5

and KotOR 4/5

A lot of the arguments towards KOTOR are blatantly unfair.

KOTOR graphics arem ediocre for the day, some are alright.

Some fool said the animations in JK are cheesy. Well look at the animations in KOTOR - far worse - except some of the combat scenes.

I will give you this though, the walking animations in JA are kinda odd.

JK was way before its time in so many respects, it is stable across all gameing platforms and vid cards, KOTOR is not.

The combat in JK, since it is not turn based, is more fluid and realistic. And by now I wish there more saber moves, there are a lot of moves and combinations, it just takes some skill and timing to do them right.

If there were another JK series game with a modern game engine, new moves/animations, improved graphics, a good story line, it would blow KOTOR out of space.

If there were another JK series game with a modern game engine, new moves/animations, improved graphics, a good story line, it would blow KOTOR out of space.

Yeah, well, I wouldn't go that far. Unless you're talking about graphics? Well, that's easy, especially considering that JK is a shooter.

• 5 months later...

For me, it depends on which JK game you're talking about. JO and DFII, yea, those might compare to KOTOR, especially since we're comparing across genres. But as my personal favorite, I would have to go with the KOTOR series (especially compared to Jedi Academy, in which I just about hated everything except some of the gameplay features - which could be because my computer doesn't seem to like running it, so I get low framerates, but....).

Archived