Home

What are you listening to right now? (Part 2 - Read first post!)

stoffe

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today - Smashing Pumpkins

I blame Billy Corgan for causing this wave of emo garbage, but they are an insanely talented band. This song doesn't really show odd their talents like say, soma does, but it has a nice rhythm, and i love the use of irony in the lyrics which hides the lyrics darker side.

• 2 weeks later...

I felt the urge to bring this back to share a group I just found, Vitamin String Quartet. They are , obviously, a string quartet, who does really good covers of modern songs. They did a cover of Through The Fire and Flames by Dragonforce that just blew my mind. The covers are very broad too, all kinds of genres. I'm listening to there cover of Champagne Supernova by Oasis, and that I'd recommend too, it's beautiful.

currently i'm listening to Re: Stacks by Bon Iver, my song of the year incidentally. amazing tune. it's part of a playlist that includes:

Radiohead

- tracks from Kid A

Bon Iver

- tracks from For Emma, Forever Ago and the Blood Bank EP

Elbow

- b-sides

Amiina

- tracks from Kurr

Sigur Rós

- tracks from Takk..., Ba Ba Ti Ki Di Do, (), Ágætis Byrjun, með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust, the Hlemmur documentary and Hvarf/Heim

Efterklang

- tracks from Tripper

Aphex Twin

- Parallel Stripes

UNKLE

- Rabbit In Your Headlights

Thom Yorke

- tracks from The Eraser

mmm... wintery goodness

I checked out Stoffe's link to Within Temptation and quite like it. Think I'll track some albums down locally (I never buy anything online).

Two bands I've been listening a lot to are the Cardigans (listed as alternative in the shops), and Tool/A Perfect Circle (alternative/metal according to the industry), Tori Amos once in a while (alternative).

Other than a couple of German bands (Farin Urlaub and Wir Sind Helden) my playlist is pretty ordinary with things like Foo Fighters, Placebo, Kate Havnevik, Portishead, Moby and Chicago. I'm getting pretty bored with it and need to expand my library with more unusual tones.

I'm going to go through this thread and its parent at length.

Killing The Blues - Robert Plant and Alison Krauss - Raising Sand

An unlikely paring if there ever was one... but when you listen it seems a natural fit. 2 of my favorite vocalists of all time singing some great songs.

I would have loved to see them live but the lack of scratch killed the idea. :(

The Gates Of Delirium - Yes - Relayer

Hey... they're my avatar. Do I really need to explain?

One of those classic 21 minute-plus Yes tracks that to me, (if anything,) is just way too short!

:joy:

Agreed. While I do like the 3:05 songs. I much prefer the longer songs. Right now I am listening to the Jams Sessions cd off of the Layla box set. It's the Allman Brothers Band and "Derek" & the Dominoes. :shades2:

Killing The Blues - Robert Plant and Alison Krauss - Raising Sand

An unlikely paring if there ever was one... but when you listen it seems a natural fit. 2 of my favorite vocalists of all time singing some great songs.

Agreed, it's a lovely album. my personal favourites from it were Trampled Rose, Nothin' and Polly Come Home.

Hmmm....

Well, I just bought/got some new albums...

Mothership -Led Zeppelin: I cannot say enough how much I enjoy this anthology of Led Zeppelin, especially because I got the "Special" one that has a DVD with several live cuts. One should not be forced to look at Robert Plant, however, so listen but don't look.

Long Distance Traveller -The Moody Blues: This is my second favorite Moody Blues album -first one being In Search of the Lost Chord. Being Moody Blues you can count on it being musical -a rather rare commodity these days- and rather enjoyable to listen to, provided you're not a metal nut who things anything lighter is crap.

And, then a warning music wise. STAY AWAY from Chicago 18 I picked it up at Cheepo -the best Music Store ever- and played it. For one thing, Chicago sounded more like Toto than Chicago, that and there's a remix of 25 or 6 to 4 on it that, after hearing the original, is HORRIBLE. This reaffirms what I've been told many times before, if you're going to buy Chicago, but a best of!

1. "Michael W. Smith - Freedom" album. I know it was made in 2000, but this music is so touching. It would go well in a movie!

2. I'm also listening to "Green Light" with John Legend featuring Andre 3000, and "Love Lockdown" and "Heartless" by Kanye West. I like the cartoonish version of Kanye too. :D

3. Last, "Ian Van Dahl - Castles in the Sky." Cool music.

Busy plugging away on a large assignment, so I need something long to listen to.

Sweeney Todd - Demon Barber of Fleet Street. The original 1979 stage recording - NOT the movie version - Depp and Bonham-Carter aren't even close to Lansbury and Cariou.

:carms:

• 2 months later...

Archived