Home

What are you listening to right now? (Part 2 - Read first post!)

stoffe

Currently on my phone (which I listen to on my way to/from work):

Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales

Celtic Frost - To Mega Therion

Amazing 80's Death/Trash metal band, with the likes of Sepultura, Megadeth and Slayer...

Mastodon - Leviathan

Mastodon - Blood Mountain

Great contemporary heavy metal with influences from Thin Lizzy to the Melvins...Leviathan is a highly recommended concept album based on "Moby Dick" which has a real enclosed and intense feel to it, almost as if you were caught in the belly of a whale ;)

Slayer - Reign in Blood

Need I say more? It's ****ing Slayer!

Tim Armstrong - A Poet's Life

Tim's solo album is great, totally relaxed and worth a listen if you like Rancid...

Soulfly - Dark Ages

Best Soulfly album so far, Max hasn't lost his touch, compare this to what Sepultura is doing nowadays and you can see why Max' loss was a tragedy for the latter band...

They used to be nu-metal, now there just plain metal. And rap. Hell, I don't know what they are!

Nu-Metal = Rap-Metal = Milked out concept that used to be good but has been ruined by MTV and the likes...

Hey, at least they stick to their guns, kudos for that.

Check out Spineshank, Static-X and Pitchshifter for some better nu-metal/industrial metal

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Annabel Lee - Tiger Army

I recently purchased their new album Music From Regions Beyond, its a little more radio friendly than I'd like, but I still think its darn good, even though it does seems like they were trying to cover too many styles and not really making their mind up about it

Pictures Found In Paragraphs from System And Station.

Tremendous goddamn record, unfortunately about to go out of print =\ It's as good as indie gets, and melts my face just as hard now as it did in 2000 when I first heard it.

Wanderlust by Nightwish

Nightwish is a Symphonic/Power/Gothic Metal Band that kicks ass. They've got a good sound, very good vocals and are all very good artists. I'll admit that a lot of their songs can get sort of weary, but some songs like Higher than Hope, White Night Fantasy, Wishmaster, Dark Chest of Wonders, Nemo and so on are masterpieces.

Cradle of Filth - Funeral

Here I was thinking Cradle is a failed black metal band. That eventually changed the style to some weird gothic-ish sound. Now I know Cradle actually started as death metal in the demo's. These demo's make me wear my Cradle of Filth shirts again.

I got Captain Fantastic by Elton John and Aladdin Sane by David Bowie yesterday so I've been giving them a listen. I really like the version of Captain Fantastic I got because it has the original album, four bonus tracks, and a live performance in London from 1975 on a second disc.

I got Captain Fantastic by Elton John and Aladdin Sane by David Bowie yesterday so I've been giving them a listen. I really like the version of Captain Fantastic I got because it has the original album, four bonus tracks, and a live performance in London from 1975 on a second disc.

Haven't listen to Captain Fantastic in awhile, not really an Elton John fan any longer, but this was the first "Rock" album I ever purchased. Only way back then it was on 8 track, I do have it on CD now and in my ITunes, I just haven’t listened to it in 10 years at least. Listening to “Someone Saved My Life Tonight right now, I used to love listening to that song when I was 10 years old and thought it was really dirty because he emphasized the words dam it. I wonder what a ten year old version of myself would think about today’s music (He’d probably love the vulgarity of it).

Thanks for reminding me of some long forgotten fantastic music.

1000 in the Eastland - Mezarkabul/Pentagram

Mezarkabul is an awesome Oriental Metal band from Turkey. Their gigs and music is mostly concentrated in Turkey, but are known in the US as Pentagram. They have a beautiful sound, which melds the best of European Metal with Oriental themes. Almost all their songs are good, my favourites being Gunduz Gece, 1000 in the Eastland, Seytan Bunun Neresinde, F.T.W.D.A, Bir and Tigris (and some more, of course).

Hare Hare Yukai, the closing theme from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. As Niner, Jae and jmac know, I'm completely ****ing addicted to this goddamned song.

BYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!

Holy Hell, I just caught it on Spool. That is one ****ing addicting song, damnit!

Five Finger Crawl - Danzig: These guys are Glenn Danzig's metal band, pulling out heavy riffs and dark lyrics. They were underground til the ninties, whrn they got recognized on MTV when MTV rocked. They may be disbanded, but they still rock.

Funnily enough,

Skulls - The Misfits - Formed in 1977 by none other than Glenn Danzig, this was my introduction to Horror Punk, which is Punk, although influenced by Horror Films, Doo-wop and Rockabilly.

Although the original Misfits have disbanded, they are now led by Jerry Only, whose brother Doyle was the drummer until he quit to form Gorgeous Frankenstein, after which he reunited with Danzig's band, Danzig to perform special sets of Misfits songs on Danzig's Blackest of the Black 2005 and 2006 tour :)

Funnily enough,

Skulls - The Misfits - Formed in 1977 by none other than Glenn Danzig, this was my introduction to Horror Punk, which is Punk, although influenced by Horror Films, Doo-wop and Rockabilly.

Although the original Misfits have disbanded, they are now led by Jerry Only, whose brother Doyle was the drummer until he quit to form Gorgeous Frankenstein, after which he reunited with Danzig's band, Danzig to perform special sets of Misfits songs on Danzig's Blackest of the Black 2005 and 2006 tour :)

Saw the Misfits last year with Osaka Popstar featuring the one and only Marky Ramone, surviving member of the Ramones, Punk pioneers...The Misfits set was good, Osaka was a great icing on the cake, it's as close to seeing the Ramones as anyone will ever get nowadays...

On another note, been listening to a lot of Unearth recently, their first two albums in particular: The Stings of Conscience and The Oncoming Storm, which are landmarks in the metalcore genre...

This band just blows me away, it's like pumping pure adrenaline into your brain it's that heavy yet flippin' amazing!

Haruka Kanata & Rewrite by Asian Kung-Fu Generation

Those two songs, although I don't understand much of the lyrics, are awesome, both of them are opening themes for the animes Naruto and Fullmetal Alchemist, some of my favorites. :D

Pretty much just the new Rush album: Snakes and Arrows. Been listening to it over and over pretty much since it came out.

Not quite up to the impossibly high standard they themselves set with 'Moving Pictures' musically or lyrically... but still better than just about anything else I hear on the radio these days.

The instrumentals are great, and the opening track Far Cry is totally killer.

Greetings from Spain! :)

I bought the song Seishun Kyousoukyoko by the japanese group Sambomaster

Gotta be honest, I don't understand much of the lyrics but I get the vibe so its now one of my favorite songs

Another song I bought is Ichirin No Hana by the group High and Mighty color, thats also japanese

A rock song, meaning "Lone flower" I think, me like

• 1 month later...

Well, I've recently been on a huge 90s binge since I feel I missed out on a lot of it. I'm heavy hitting all the likes of Cake, STP, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, etc. Right now I'm listening to Lithium by Nirvana. :)

Anyone care to point out some 90s stuff I need to procure immediately lest I be judged and found severely wanting?

@ Boba Rhett, Don't Look Back in Anger by Oasis. I love that song:)

Song of the moment is The Blues by Switchfoot. Great listening for both cheerful and emotional states of mind:P

It'll be a day like this one

When the sky falls down and the hungry and poor and deserted are found

Are you discontented? Have you been pushing hard?

Have you been throwing down this broken house of cards?

Archived