Home

What are you listening to right now? (Part 2 - Read first post!)

stoffe

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Gimme back my Bullets" by Lynryd Skynryd, My dad gave me a load of Vinyl a while back, reminds me of my childhood...

Indeed, that is a good song.

As for my self, I've been listening to all sorts of music since I last visited this thread.

I've taken interest to Disturbed, a "Metal" band from Chicago. Started listening to "Down With a Sickness" from their first album, The Sickness, then I found the CDs from the library. At the moment, my favourite songs are "Stupify" (The Sickness), "Down With a Sickness" (The Sickness), "Believe" (Believe), "Stricken" (Ten Thousand Fists), and "Ten Thousand Fists" (Ten Thousand Fists). I like others, but these are my favourites.

I also bought the Gears of War soundtrack composed by Kevin Riepl. I love the score. I'll have to play some more Gears of War soon. I also downloaded the Bioshock score, which was free for download. But, I hve yet to listen to it.

Lastly, I've have taken a liking to "What I've Done" by Linkin Park. The song from Transformers. It doesn't seem to popular from what I hear. But, I like the song.

• 1 month later...

I've been rocking the hell out to The Dukes Of Stratosphear, Andy Partridge's psychedelic side project featuring, oddly, all of the members of XTC and a couple other guys. I can't tell whether it's a parody or period piece...but all in all, it's some goddamned good psychedelic pop.

Today is the AFL Grand Final so the Geelong theme. Go the Cats! As well as that Thanks For the Memories by Fall Out Boy; this year's AFL theme, Stand Tough by Point Break; a previous (and far superior) theme, Holy Grail by Hunters & Collectors; ditto, More Than a Game by Chris Dohemy; theme for The Footy Show, Unbelievable by EMF, this was a theme done for a hundred years of AFL football, One Day in September by Mike Brady; on the Grand Final, basically any footy song I can lay my hands on.

Nine Inch Nails-The Hand That Feeds

Nine Inch Nails-Capital G

NICE, nothing else needs to be said

KoRn-Coming Undone

KoRn is still one of my favorite groups, and their music delights me

Santan-Smooth

Rob Thomas + Santana = Good Song

One of my favorite songs that I listen to when I want to relax

Emigrate-My World

Bought it from the soundtrack of RESIDENT EVIL: EXTINCTION out of curiosity, but it payed off in the end. This song is amazing

Free Trade In Death Sickness by A//Political (me favorite band of all-time)

A//Political was an anarcho/peace punk band formed in the early 90's who broke up in 1997. They were heavily influenced by bands like Crass and Conflict whom were the pioneers of peace punk. They had both male and female fronted vocals and even played along Crust Punk bands such as Detestation and Resist. They did a large tour with Riot/Clone and formed their DIY record label called Cr@$$hole Collective Records (The very well known Against Me! released an album and contributed to a compilation on that label). They play fast. And they are considered to be one of the best Anarcho/Peace Punk bands of all-time (my own bias aside). All you Misfits fans should check em' out. They're not street/horror punk... but I think that they'll satisfy your music tastes.

A friend turned me on to the new Blonde Redhead record, simply titled 23. It reminds me of The Pixies, Radiohead and Sigur Ros with a little bit of National Skyline thrown in...epic and evocative, though often simple in its constructions. Most of it is sung by their female lead singer/guitarist, but a few of the mid- to late-album tracks are written and sung by their male guitarist. Truly an excellent musical experience =)

Can't speak for any of their catalog before this, though now I think I'm gonna have to find out =)

I stumbled across a CD called The Book of Secrets, by Loreena McKennit, while cleaning out some stuff at work. It is an interesting fusion of Middle Eastern and Celtic traditions. Not all of it works well, but it has some great moments. It has rekindled my love of Celtic music, so I used my iTunes gift card I got for my birthday to download another album by her, Elemental, which is much more traditional Celtic, and one by Orla Fallon. That lady has the most beautiful voice I have ever heard. Even though I don't understand them, I enjoy the heck out her Gaelic songs just because of her voice.

Emigrate-My World

Bought it from the soundtrack of RESIDENT EVIL: EXTINCTION out of curiosity, but it payed off in the end. This song is amazing

I'm not a huge fun of that song in particular, but Emigrate, as a band, as pretty good. My favourite songs from their debut album are "Emigrate", "Wake Up", and "Resolution", but I like most of their songs of that album.

Richard Z. Kruspe is the lead vocalist of Emigrate, as well as the guitarist in Rammstein. Which is one of the reasons why wanted to check them out. Hopefully, I can find the German version of the album (if there is one). But I still like Rammstein better. :p

Dropkick Murphys (Band), specifically one song, "Tessie", which you can watch them play

Reasons for like it so much... (in the form of a history lesson)

1) Way back in 1903, "Tessie" was played during the first ever world series, which the Red Sox won, over Pittsburgh.

2) In the subsequent Red Sox World Series victories, Tessie was played

3) Coincidentally, when "Tessie" stopped being played, the Red Sox stopped winning world championships

4) In 2004, 86 years after the Red Sox won their last championship, a band known as "The Dropkick Murphys" preformed a new version of "Tessie"

5) We all know what came next: The Red Sox Won! "Tessie" came through in the clutch, like David Ortiz

Yeah...that is why I like it so much...it inspires the Red Sox, and (in the Case of the 1903 Pittsburgh Pirates) caused their opponents to lose. (and is a great song, which you can still watch

(shorter version - no band intros)

Iwasaki Taku - "Libera me" from Hell (off the Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann OST)

A very unique piece of music that combines an excellent piano theme with operatic singing and stylish rapping. I was pretty skeptical that it would work when I first heard it, but in the context of the show itself, it fit beautifully. I never thought rap and opera could work together so well, but it just does in this song. It may not be to everyone's tastes, but I just love it to pieces now.

• 2 weeks later...

Two words - In Rainbows. goodness, this album is stunning, and not far behind OK Computer as my favourite album from ze brilliant Radiohead. I'm also listening to some older albums i got; Eels - Beautiful Freak, Reindeer Section - Son Of Evil Reindeer, Arcade Fire - Neon Bible and Spoon - Gagagagaga. =D

Two words - In Rainbows. goodness, this album is stunning, and not far behind OK Computer as my favourite album from ze brilliant Radiohead.

Indeed it's a great album. Radiohead is really my favorite band right now. Why? They made the RIAA cry. Give money to Radiohead for In Rainbows, it's really worth it and encourage them to piss on the big record labels.

I also picked up the Bruce Springsteen new album Magic last week. To be honest, I was never a fan of his American folk rock, with the exception of Born in the USA and the theme song "Streets of Philadelphia". Now, I'm a fan. Magic is a very addictive album, from the first song to the last. It's amazing really. In every song, you feel his love for America. Simply amazing.

A few weeks back, I bought the Foo Fighters' newest album, Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace. Except for "The Pretender", the rest is ok, if only mediocre in general. The Ballad of the Beaconsfield Miners is an instrumental song Dave Grohl recorded for two miners involved in the Beaconsfield mine collapse who had requested an iPod with Foo Fighters songs when waiting for rescue. It's hard to find fault in what is a good gesture but it feels incredibly out of place in the album.Not a bad album, a few good songs, but overall, it's no great.

Archived