Home

What is up with boyd?

seriously..i cant figure this whole milk amn crap out...i mean..all the other characters had a story..and you "cured" them from theyre inzaneness...like fred went inzane by loosing waterloo..and started thinking he was napoleon so he could win it..you had to defeat napoleon to set fred free of his split personality...edgar was appearantly dumped by his girlfriend for another man...making edgar loose hes big match...and starting to paint to escape the memories..but he couldnt..so he went inzane and ..2 theories..either he tried to defeat the cheerleading dude..so he imagined himself as a strong bull who could defeat him..ooor he went inzane by thinking of defeating the "bull" that was the cheerleading dude...gloria ..actualy..i think i understood it all wrong..but heres how i see it...glorias performances were constantly killed by a critiq...turning her inzane and remembering shes past glory...so you had to find the right script to defeat the critiq and make glorias image shine again...gloria wasnt a bad actor..she just needed a good script...

but i cant figure out boyd...this milkman stuff...okay..so he went nutz when he lost hes job..then he started thinking everything was a conpiracy?..did you catualy cure him?..all you did was free the milkman who i realy cant understand...and who defeated the cospiracies...so..that made him inzane?

From what I saw in the memory vaults and cutscenes, Boyd was once a security guard at a store. He somehow got fired (not his fault he thinks), got sent to the crazy house and corrupted by Oleander and Loboto. Oleander hypnotizes him while drinking milk so there's always an association (memory vault). Maybe he became "The Milkman" ("Twilight Zone theme) in rebellion??

[spoilerS]

I can't help but wonder why the milkman's still there after they left the asylum. G-men are gone, you actually see them leave Boyds mind together WITH the milkman. So I wondered what it would be like if you return next time. Well... yeah. G-men are gone but the milkman keeps on burning down censors who... just what the HELL are they doing in that car anyway?

Soo, hence the fact that censors are meant to be something GOOD for your mind, if the censors try to attack him, they don't want him to stay, therefore see him as an intruder, something that doesn't belong there... which means Boyd isn't really cured, is he? Maybe some post-traumatic remainder or simply a personification of his affinity to suspect conspiracies everywhere?

BUT I've never seen censors attack the critic in Glorias mind or that annoying bull - not that they are still there, that is. Well, but they haven't been influenced. So maybe the milkman still standing there is the aftereffect of the hypnosis?

• 2 weeks later...

To the OP: I think you've got Edgar a bit mixed up too, but let's start with Boyd, as I think he's one of the coolest things about Psychonauts =D

Yeah, he went nuts as a result of being fired (multiple times?), was commited to the asylum, then hired/brainwashed by Oleander to guard it. You're right, you do free the Milkman, but insodoing you aren't exactly curing Boyd... I think the Milkman is supposed to be a representation of Boyd's anger at being mistreated by his employers. Boyd created the whole conspiracy (or Oleander planted it in him) in order to protect himself from the truth; thus protecting the asylum. Upon locating and releasing that anger, the player allows Boyd's mind to somewhat untangle itself and carry out his 'duty'.

Ruyen, you raise a good point about returning to Boyd's mind. Seeing as you can venture back in while he's standing there hesitating to throw the final milkbomb, this may indicate one last struggle within himself. Raz has freed the Milkman, but yeah, the censors in Boyd's mind see this as an intruding thought (an even bigger threat than Raz, it seems!)

So I guess the simplest way to look at it is: Boyd is definately not all there until he manages to blow the asylum and join the other ex-inmates. Sure is an interesting exception to the other minds you visit again...

• 1 month later...

Here's my theory on the Milkman.

Boyd, like everyone else mentioned, went nuts after getting fired from his security job, so he burnt the place down and got sent to an Insane Asylum. Because he was obviously great at burning down places, Oleander brainwashed him into guarding the asylum and implanted codewords in his head to trigger when he'd burn down the asylum to wash away the evidence. I dunno what phrase was to awaken the milkman, but the final order according to wiki was "Let's blow this popsicle stand!"

The milkman might have been the persona Boyd took on when he first went nuts and burned down the security office (he threw a Molotov cocktail, but they might have been flaming milk bottles) or it could be a role Oleander created for Boyd to take on. I think it was probably the persona he made after getting fired. (this makes "The Milkman is dead" make much more sense) Maybe when he got fired, he became paranoid that there was a conspiracy against him.

Because of the brainwashing, part of his head knew something was up (the G-men are actually his censors) and tried to uncover this abnormality. But the brainwashing also protected his commonsense from figuring this out, which created the Rainbow Squirts and the Den Mother.

Raz didn't cure Boyd after going into his mind, this is clear because Boyd is still as crazy as ever afterwards. He merely "awakened" the milkman personality. After Boyd burned down the asylum, he completed his role as the milkman and thus had no more use for the personality.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the milkman isn't created by Boyd but by Oleander to burn down the asylum, erasing all evidence of the brainstealing and stuff. The G-Men are not his censors, but a mental form of his desire to get to the truth behind this milkman stuff. The Den Mom and her Rainboe Squirts (of Doom) are protection "devices" implanted by Oleander. And the conspiryca comes from Boyd's notunderstanding of the whole situation - or from his history of department store burning. Oh, and I think he wasn't completely nuts when he burned that asylum, he was just very, very angry. He came to Thorney Towers to be checked of insanity, and was left there when the asylum was abandoned

Just a question - what happens to the brains you didn't save when the asylum 'splodes ?

Hmmm, squishy.

"Mr. and Mrs. Zilch, we are sorry to tell you that your son lost his brain and that it was destroyed during the explosion of an insane asylum. Do not ask questions. You will find a check over 50 $ in your mail.

Sorry,

Camp Whispering Rock"

Just a question - what happens to the brains you didn't save when the asylum 'splodes ?

Hmmm, squishy.

"Mr. and Mrs. Zilch, we are sorry to tell you that your son lost his brain and that it was destroyed during the explosion of an insane asylum. Do not ask questions. You will find a check over 50 $ in your mail.

Sorry,

Camp Whispering Rock"

If you get to Rank 100 you unlock a cutscene showing Sheegor, Sam, and Linda. Sheegor mentions that she got all of the brains out of the asylum. There ya go.

Archived