Home

Musical Instruments (Show n' Tell)

MdKnightR

I haven't seen this topic around. I have been getting back into playing guitar and I just bought this B.C. Rich Bich Special Edition this week. That is what prompted me to start this thread. It isn't my only guitar, but it is my only electric. Feel free to post pics of any musical instrument you play and write any commentary you feel you'd like to include about your skills, bands, etc. If this thread takes off, I'll post pictures of my other instruments.

bich06.jpg

bich07.jpg

bich05.jpg

bich02a.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1174561306_l.jpg

The Jazz Bass Copy on the left, I bought for £99. I basically use it when I dont want to use my Fender P-bass, whether it be jamming sessions or gigs. The guitar on the right, I've had for quite a few years, and I mainly use it for Surf/Rockabilly/Punk. I also have a banjo, but dont have any pictures of it yet. Hopefully soon, I want to get hold of a double bass, since thats the sort of thing I'm into.

Currently I'm in a band, we play a mixture of 3-4 different genres, which we joke about and refer to as:

"Instrumental Rockabilly Horror Surf Punk"

There are 3 members including me, and at the moment, I'm on guitar, as the actual guitarist isnt that familiar with the type of music we are meant to be playing yet. Its all good.

I own a Bach Strad 50B Bass Trombone. I'll upload pics when I get the Bluetooth for my cell working. It's the only instrument I actually own, but I play the Clarinet, Tuba, Piano, and Flute, as well. I've only played the Flute for a few months, so I still get some airy notes. I've been on Tuba for almost a year now. I've played the Trombone (which is now my main instrument) for about three and a half years, the Clarinet for almost five years (though I don't play it as much anymore), and the Piano for almost twelve years.

I've done some percussion work, too, but not that much. I can do basic snare drum stuff, and a few little bits on the kit. Nothing fancy, though.

Man, that guitar looks like it was smashed on a parking lot floor. :D

I used to own a low-grade keyboard when I was in the third standard - I was starting to master it, when my dad got me a computer. Yeah... then it all changed.

Don't remember any other real instruments, except maybe a flute once...

I have a Fender Stratocaster, really brilliant guitars, but I'm waiting to get a Gibson Les Paul.:drool1: I've been playing for about 3.5 years now, I have a Yamaha acoustic too that I started with, played that for a year before I got an Ibenez Gio, then finally after another year I got my strat. I'll get some pics up soon.

~Sno0ze

I currently have a Yamaha digital piano which I hate with a passion. I used to have a good real piano when I was studying for a music degree and living with my parents but I moved a while ago and the piano stayed with my parents. The "thing" isn't that bad (and can even beat some crappy real pianos) but it doesn't feel and sound like a real piano even if Yamaha says so... Now I am shopping for a real piano and I've got my eyes on this one: Steinway & Sons Model M (Hamburg M-170) .

I also own this Clarinet.

I currently have a Yamaha digital piano which I hate with a passion. I used to have a good real piano when I was studying for a music degree and living with my parents but that was a while ago. The "thing" isn't that bad (and can even beat some crappy real pianos) but it doesn't feel and sound like a real piano even if Yamaha says so... Now I am shopping for a real piano and I've got my eyes on this one: Steinway & Sons Model M (Hamburg M-170) .

I also own this Clarinet.

I'm sorry, but those electro-pianos never sound like the real thing...they sound too plasticky, IMO...

On-topic: I have a 20-year-old Yamaha Bb trumpet, of which I don't have a picture and can't find (easily) on the net.

I'm sorry, but those electro-pianos never sound like the real thing...they sound too plasticky, IMO...

That's what I said...the only advantage is that they are easily moved and they don't drive the neighbors crazy when you live in an apartment...although in my old apt, I remember the 3rd floor neighbor knocking at my door - I was on the 1st floor- and angrily asking what was the constant knocking she was hearing...err...ok, the piano piece was a bit "violent" (Prokofiev's toccata op. 11) but I was practising with headphones :p

Edit: one other good point is that you can plug them into your PC to do some cool stuff....but it can't fully replace a real piano for the rest.

Acoustics

Electrics

Jazz-Boxes

All Gibsons

Basses, Strat, and travel guitar

The 3 that see the most use

Strat is currently getting rebuilt. And I no longer have the teal Washburn bass.

Great collection! Is that a Paul Reed Smith in there? I hope my collection grows in the coming years. I shouldn't have quit playing years ago, but I fell out of the habit in college and didn't pick it up again until my stepson started begging for a guitar for Christmas. I figured it would be a good time for me to start playing again. I bought a Washburn DK20CET Acoustic/Electric for myself, but quickly realized that I really wanted another electric guitar (hence the B.C. Rich pictured above). I also have a Series 10 Professional bass guitar with white crackle finish.

Here's the Washburn...

100_1316.jpg100_1318.jpg

100_1319.jpg100_1322.jpg

And the Series10....

100_1323.jpg100_1324.jpg

100_1326.jpg

Yeah,.. PRS. Early one too. Late 80's/ early 90's, I think. My dad found it for me in Cleveland. It was a steal, too.

Most of my axes are hand-me-downs from my father, who has been a professional guitarist since he was 10 (back in the 40's!) I could never afford to get all those on my own.

Although I don't actually play any instrument I own a very old guitar and electric keyboards. At one point back when I was a kid I was interested in learning to play the piano, but my parents didn't have enough money to buy a piano for me (since I would have needed one for home practice) and so the interest died out.

I think If I caught someone in the act of stealing one of my instruments, I'd attack them in a blind rage. Anyone else here so attached to their instruments, that they couldnt bear to part with them? Or is it just me?

EDIT: If I can, I'll take one big group photo of my collection and post it here. In the mean time, here is a picture of the upright bass I spent 10 minutes making.

- Cardboard Tube

- Two Biros

- A Metal Bridge

- An Elastic Band

l_681a078df480aece9a24a6d71db6bdd0.jpg

RRRRRGH.

Once upon a time...oh man, I used to have such awesome gear. Never had that many guitars, but my amp rig would shake the house.

My best ever: Hartke 3500 Mosfet head unit

Trace Elliot 4/10 cab

Warwick 2/15 cab

305 watts pure bass power. That head was great. Had 2 preamps; one solid state, one tube. My usual gig setup had the tube amp up the way and the solid state one at about 9 O'clock. I had club sound tech screaming at me to turn down when I set the master output to 2. Heh.

Guitar-wise, I've always been an Ibanez man. I did have a 1979 Gibson Explorer bass for a while, though. Closest thing I could find to an Ibanez Iceman. Then I found the real thing. Sadly, I ended up having to sell almost all my gear to pay rent and buy food about...6-7 years ago. :(((((

Assuming my pedestrian attempts to set up a photobucket acct work, here's my last and best axe. Ibanez SG400. Pride of all my original CD recordings, the name we thought up for the colour was "Lipstick Overdose Red".

GT2.jpg

Nice bass, Mace! Hopefully it didn't have to go too.

I like Ibanez guitars, but the one axe I wish I could get my hands on belonged to a friend of mine back around '89-'90. He had a B.C. Rich Gunslinger with a storm cloud and lightning airbrushed on the body. And, man, did it play like a dream! It had an ultra fast, thin neck profile with a wide fretboard. The neck was natural maple and so was the fretboard.

When I went about searching for my electric guitar (which wound up being the Bich shown above), I searched long and hard for a Gunslinger. The only problem is that B.C. Rich doesn't make that model anymore and used ones are going for between $500-$1500 on eBay. A well taken care of Gunslinger would be well worth it, but I'm not able to afford it.

If you don't know about them, Gunslingers were among the few B.C. Rich guitars that didn't have an outrageous body shape. It was just a straightforward strat style similar to the Ibanez RG series, but with only one humbucker pickup slung to the side (that may be where it got its name) and a reverse headstock.

Example pics, not the actual ones:

First up is a Fender Montara; not a whole lot of them around I don't believe. I mainly got it because I fell in love with the look and had to have one. They really REALLY need to be plugged in if you're going to even attempt to play them. (thin body)

Gitarren%20003.jpg

and a Mex Fender Fat Strat

large_1134700506.jpg

Shamefully I have not played them in quite a while now. :(

Man, I must be the only guy in the world who's never owned a Fender...

@MdKnightR: No, that bass is the last one I have left. I would never, ever be without at least one guitar. That and a small practice amp that's sitting in storage an ocean and continent away are all that's left of my once earth-shattering gear. Here's a couple more pics of guitar models I once owned:

Exp1.jpg

Gibson Explorer; mine looked almost exactly like that one.

Ice2.jpg

Ibanez Iceman. This one does look exactly like mine did.

I was always obsessed with those guitar shapes when I was just learning to play, and when I finally got around to buying them, it became one of those "never meet your childhood heroes" moments. The red Iby I posted earlier was my standard, and I just took the ultra-thin neck and tone for granted. My playing style (when I was doing gigs and CDs) featured a lot of chords, tapping and harmonics all drenched in overdrive and distortion, and you really need a bright high end for that stuff. I was called a frustrated lead guitar player by more than a few people...but that's another story. When I first plugged the explorer into my rig, my usual crisp high end and liquid low end (Bonggggg...) suddenly became this wooden, flat-tire bass tone. Ugh. That and the neck was painted and enameled. I hate that. I even sand the varnish off the neck and just go for a good woodstain usually. Oh well. The Ex and the Iceman looked cool, anyway.

Archived