Home

Musical Instruments (Show n' Tell)

MdKnightR

First off, this is a Mountain Ocarina. I can play a few of the songs from Zelda on it. Its actually pretty easy to play.

MountainOcarina.jpg

I like my Mountain Ocarina, but some times you need the real thing.

OcarinaofTime.jpg

Yes, I own the Ocarina of Time! Its a real, playable instrument and sounds pretty good too.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Man, I must be the only guy in the world who's never owned a Fender...

Nope! You are not alone. I have never owned one either. I wouldn't mind having a Stratocaster, but it isn't something that I will ever actively pursue. But the Telecasters are like the ugliest things on the planet IMHO.

The closest I've ever had to a Fender was a Strat copy that Yamaha made. I believe it was a SE110. It was all black and played like a beginner guitar is supposed to play....just well enough to not chunk it. But when you can't afford better, you make do with what you have. It got stolen a few years back just shortly after I stopped playing and I didn't get the bug to play again until recently. I wish I had replaced that guitar immediately because I hate the feeling of knowing how to play, but having soft fingertips and poor coordination to deal with all over again.

Yamaha.....:barf:

Friends don't let friends buy Yamaha guitars. Dirt bikes maybe, but guitars...ugh. But then, I don't like BC Rich either. Their basses were all too clunky for me. The guitar player in my first band had a Warlock, though. It was his pride and joy, although I couldn't stand the way the sharp edges jabbed into me when I picked it up and plunked around with it. That's the downside of some of those pointy guitars. They're like old Italian sports cars; they look cool but they're a massive pain in the ass to live with.

The Sound Gear line of basses...those are the ultimate Mace MacLeod guitars. They just do everything for me so well, and when it comes right down to it, I've never had the money to do much exploring brand-wise. Robin had some nice models to play, but they were too expensive and I never liked the look of them; Warwicks were sweet players but they were just too "wooden" sounding for me (heh heh), the only Fender basses I liked were the Stu Hamm signature series, and that was just because they sounded like Ibanez basses. The P and the J basses were just way too common for my taste; I put a lot of work into making sure I didn't sound like any other bass player, I sure as hell didn't want to look like them either. Especially around...what '94? That was the year Nirvana broke big and grunge took off, and suddenly everyone I knew had cut their hair, stopped shaving, traded their leather jackets for flannel and developed a fetish for "vintage" gear. It was so sad to see all those BC Rich metalheads become unshowered shoegazers playing Les Pauls overnight.

But then, I don't like BC Rich either. Their basses were all too clunky for me. The guitar player in my first band had a Warlock, though. It was his pride and joy, although I couldn't stand the way the sharp edges jabbed into me when I picked it up and plunked around with it. That's the downside of some of those pointy guitars. They're like old Italian sports cars; they look cool but they're a massive pain in the ass to live with.

Don't worry, I won't hold it against ya! ;)

That was the year Nirvana broke big and grunge took off, and suddenly everyone I knew had cut their hair, stopped shaving, traded their leather jackets for flannel and developed a fetish for "vintage" gear. It was so sad to see all those BC Rich metalheads become unshowered shoegazers playing Les Pauls overnight.

I know the feeling. I never liked the whole grunge thing. Anybody who wonders why should see the end of the VH1 "When Metal Ruled the World."

^^^It's not that I don't like grunge per se, it was just disappointing to see bands and musicians that I respected suddenly jumping on the popularity bandwagon. With a few of them, it was really hard to take. The early 90's was when I was just starting to play live and get my personal trip together musically, and there were a couple of players I really looked up to as being original and creative. Remember how stale the cock rock hair farmer bands got around 92-93? Well, I had always been fiercely individualistic as a player, and I had just taken for granted that these other guys were that way themselves, then to see them suddenly abandon their styles just to grab onto the "next" thing was an unpleasant eye-opener. It wasn't so much the music I didn't like; I'd rather listen to AIC or The Melvins over Trixter or Warrant any day. It was the finding out people I had admired were essentially just poseur chameleons that was the disappointment. If they were around grunge people, they liked grunge. If they were around industrial people, they liked industrial. If they were around goth people, they liked goth music. If they had had tits, they'd have been Spice Girls.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

For some reason, I dislike BC Rich's. I think its mainly due to the fact an ex-friend has one, and he doesnt take care of it that well, so I kinda felt uncomfortable when I played it, coupled with the fact that they remind of him, and he isnt that good of a guitarist, of course, he thinks he is, its kinda funny.

For some reason, I dislike BC Rich's. I think its mainly due to the fact an ex-friend has one, and he doesnt take care of it that well, so I kinda felt uncomfortable when I played it, coupled with the fact that they remind of him, and he isnt that good of a guitarist, of course, he thinks he is, its kinda funny.

Neither do i - Ibanez all the way!!

The BC Rich Warlock and Warlock II range is quite nich though - 'specially those Kerry King signiture lines!! :D

Oh and i noticed your sig. pic - MDKnightR; Anti-Rap, what's wrong with Hip-Hop?! Whether you like it or not Hip-Hop is one of the biggest styles in the music industry and is a very positive thing to have as it gets kids out of gangs and drugs etc. and keeps them focused on a career! To shun one form of music is so narrow minded, if you don't like it keep it to urself; you don't need to start some hate campaign against Hip-Hop with your sig. pic!

You disrespect the talents of Hip-Hop such as the legendary Tupac Shackur and Eric "Eazy-E" Wright of the West Coast and other legends of the industry such as Jam Master Jay, Dr. Dre and The Notorious B.I.G. - Tshhh!! SHAME ON YOU!!

Oh and i noticed your sig. pic - MDKnightR; Anti-Rap, what's wrong with Hip-Hop?! Whether you like it or not Hip-Hop is one of the biggest styles in the music industry and is a very positive thing to have as it gets kids out of gangs and drugs etc. and keeps them focused on a career! To shun one form of music is so narrow minded, if you don't like it keep it to urself; you don't need to start some hate campaign against Hip-Hop with your sig. pic!

You disrespect the talents of Hip-Hop such as the legendary Tupac Shackur and Eric "Eazy-E" Wright of the West Coast and other legends of the industry such as Jam Master Jay, Dr. Dre and The Notoirious B.I.G. - Tshhh!! SHAME ON YOU!!

Lmao, this deserves its own thread...Oh wait it already has ;)

For the record, I agree with MDKnightR

Lmao, this deserves its own thread...Oh wait it already has ;)

For the record, I agree with MDKnightR

:lol: Maybe my comments were a bit harsh in a joky way!

I suppose everyone has an opinion - it's our god-given right but i think "Anti Campaigns" of any form of music as quite petty and well, childish to say the least. As you can tell i like Hip-Hop but am a multi-varient person when it comes to music as i like many different forms from Heavy/Thrash metal to Hip-Hop to heavy Hard-House dance. Call me soppy but i also kinda Motown and Swing. (who can forget the Ratpack!).

Neither do i - Ibanez all the way!!

The BC Rich Warlock and Warlock II range is quite nich though - 'specially those Kerry King signiture lines!! :D

You disrespect the talents of Hip-Hop such as the legendary Tupac Shackur and Eric "Eazy-E" Wright of the West Coast and other legends of the industry such as Jam Master Jay, Dr. Dre and The Notorious B.I.G. - Tshhh!! SHAME ON YOU!!

IBANEZ- eeick! I always liked the way they were designed visually, but I have only very recently gotten to play any. I tried out quite a few the last time I was at Guitar Center and I felt like I was playing a broomstick with strings on any given model. The next guitar that I will likely buy is a B.C. Rich Beast. I guess the reason I was initially drawn to B.C. Rich guitars is because I am a big guy and many of their guitars are quite large (especially the Beast) and I like the fact that I don't appear to be holding a toy when I am playing them. But, beyond that, they play really well and sound awesome for the type of music I'm into and they are not horribly expensive (shame on you, Gibson!)

As for the Anti-Rap banner, it is supposed to be humorous. But I will say that I do not like rap. End of discussion.

Oh yeah?

Well,.. how about the guy shredding on the B.C. Rich in

Sorry.

:joy:

OUCH! That hurts to even watch!

IBANEZ- eeick! I always liked the way they were designed visually, but I have only very recently gotten to play any. I tried out quite a few the last time I was at Guitar Center and I felt like I was playing a broomstick with strings on any given model. The next guitar that I will likely buy is a B.C. Rich Beast. I guess the reason I was initially drawn to B.C. Rich guitars is because I am a big guy and many of their guitars are quite large (especially the Beast) and I like the fact that I don't appear to be holding a toy when I am playing them. But, beyond that, they play really well and sound awesome for the type of music I'm into and they are not horribly expensive (shame on you, Gibson!)

Yeah the BC Rich's can be quite large in size - i'm a big build (not in width :lol:) but i'm also quite small for a guy of my age, so the Ibanez's i feel best suit me more. The Rich Beasts are quite a good range, i prefer the Warlocks myself though. I personally dislkike Gibson - i think they are visually aweful (a few exceptions however) don't play as other competitors (like Ibanez, but then again i'm biased!) and like you said are priced more than they're worth. I'm sure it has it's fans but i am certainly not one of them! Do you use distortion? There are some good pedals out there, there's a guitar shop in Liverpool (the area i live in) that has some pretty good distortion pedals at ok prices (although i am too poor to afford them! :lol: )

Yeah the BC Rich's can be quite large in size - i'm a big build (not in width :lol:) but i'm also quite small for a guy of my age, so the Ibanez's i feel best suit me more. The Rich Beasts are quite a good range, i prefer the Warlocks myself though. I personally dislkike Gibson - i think they are visually aweful (a few exceptions however) don't play as other competitors (like Ibanez, but then again i'm biased!) and like you said are priced more than they're worth. I'm sure it has it's fans but i am certainly not one of them! Do you use distortion? There are some good pedals out there, there's a guitar shop in Liverpool (the area i live in) that has some pretty good distortion pedals at ok prices (although i am too poor to afford them! :lol: )

Actually, if you want effects, don't go with pedals. Try out some Line 6 amplifiers. They have a ton of effects built in and they are also "modeling amps" which means that they can mimic the sound of many different amps from Marshall to Fender to Mesa-Boogie. Go to the Line 6 website and check out what they have. If you already have an amplifier you're happy with, they also have effects boards, pedals, and something they call a POD that is really nice. If you want to get some great sounds on a budget, you should also check out Behringer's products . They have a POD-like device that they call a V-amp that comes with a channel switching pedal. I think they cost about $60 USD and are filled with effects and amp models.

Personally, since I am only just getting back into playing again, I don't even have a traditional amplifier. I've been using the Line 6 Guitar Port for my computer. It gives me every tone that I need as I rebuild my skills. I'll upgrade to a Line 6 half-stack when the time is right.

BTW, if you like the Warlock, you should see the new Warbeast! It combines the best elements of the Beast and Warlock designs. Check it out at the B.C. Rich website

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've finally gotten in over my head! I honestly don't know what got into me, but I wound up putting a $500 bid on a B.C. Rich FX6 Assassin a few days ago thinking that I couldn't possibly win the darn thing. But I did! This is a new model that was introduced this year and the new ones listed on eBay (and also MusiciansFriend.com) are priced at $699. The guy that was auctioning it off had it listed as a handmade prototype that had been sent to a band I'd never heard of before (Evergreen Terrace) and that they had used it to record the album they have due out this summer. Evidently, B.C. Rich sends prototype models out to bands that have endorsement deals with them. I really didn't care about that (as I said, I'd never even heard of them) I just thought that surely it would sell for more than $500 even if it was just an "off the shelf" guitar. I occasionally put low bids on things that should go for a lot more in hopes that I might get lucky. I guess I must have thought that $500 was a low bid for this guitar, and BAMM! I got "lucky."

Well, now I'm faced with selling my B.C. Rich Eagle (you can see the picture in an earlier post) that I just bought to help cover the cost OR a friend of mine said he might just buy the Assassin from me when it gets here. Of course, I could just turn around and try to auction the Assassin off to get some of my money back. The only thing that I'm thinking is that when it arrives, I won't want to let it go.....hence the reason I'd sell the Eagle.

Here is a link to the listing so you can check out my new guitar. I know that I only have myself to blame. I just thought I'd share my experience.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got my Strat back from the repair shop after an almost total rebuild:

Strat001.jpg

Strat002.jpg

Strat003.jpg

Strat004.jpg

Pics are kinda blurry... and lighting is sucky (but with luck it covers up the fact that the rug hasn't been vacuumed in a long, long time...) Sorry.... not really a photographer.

Hopefully you get the idea.

By comparison; a before pic:

Big_3.jpg

The cosmetic changes aren't super huge... but trust me: it's like a whole new guitar.

Spent part of the day tweaking action and intonation. Stretching the strings properly.

Much happier with it overall though.

Still needs a good breaking-in, though.

Better get to work on that!

*Walks away from PC to fire up amp...*

:joy:

I'm a Drummer, and have been since I was a wee lad, mainly because of my dad, who's been a drummer since he could hold sticks. But my real love is the guitar (although I only got my first a couple of years back) I don't make enough money to buy high end stuff, but I own a Les Paul copy, Jackson RR copy and a Kramer style thing all made by Vintage, my trusty Squire Strat, a Fender acoustic, and I've just got an OLP axis (VH style) which plays real nice.

My Drum kit is a yellow 12 pc 1976 Premier concert kit (hand me down) as sweet as the day it was made.

PS. Love the BC Rich Bich

Archived