What do you think of Atris?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Atris?

• Unbeatable character
    • Brilliant character let down by lack of screen time
    • OK Character - Better than One of the Other Sith Lords
    • OK Character - Least best Sith Lord
    • Diabolic character and a miscast

The suprise villian, with only a little amount of screen time (less than Darth Nihlius even), and the biggest iditot ever.

Since there is polls on Sion and Nihlius, let have this poll on Atris as well.

Atris has a concept of being a Jedi Jihadist, who's willing to save the Jedi by killing them. Other than that, she's only a bit tougher than Nihlius (and if you are playing as Handmadien, the battle becomes intense). You hate Atris, she was an idiot who belittle you and make Vrook look like a tolerant angel.

Other than that, she's...useless. I hate her, as a character. Atris' love was also disgusting, at least with Sion, you could respect him. Atris is a stupid character, who need a LOT of upgrading. It would be better had they replaced Atris with, say, Vrook, and had Vrook fall to the Dark Side and become a Dark Jedi. At least with Vrook you got history. Atris just got plugged in.

As a concept, she's perfect as a person you can love to hate. But as a character, she's terrible. I'm glad she's not Darth Traya and she was replaced by Kreia. So yeah, I voted "Diabolic character and a miscast".

Atris is a good character, at least for the male Exile, because she really gets under your skin. The love triangle between the male Exile, Atris, and Handmaiden is a classic scenario, but naturally that only works if the protagonist is male, which means that the canonical female Exile's story is a lot less interesting as a consequence. Instead Sion becomes a love interest right out of the blue with no backstory whatsoever, which is usually a sign of pretty terrible storytelling. So yeah, Atris is terrible in canon, because she only really works dramatically in the male Exile's story, where she is corrupted by her love, a classic story of a good person corrupted by emotions, whereas the canon story becomes forced.

@Pottsie: Vrook wouldn't have fallen. If only out of sheer stubbornness.

How would we have noticed if Vrook really had fallen to the dark side? :D

@topic: Atris at least has character, unlike Kavar and Zez-Kai Ell, who are as dull as dishwater, the pair of them, or Sion and Nihilus, who are, frankly, both completely and utterly 2-dimensional.

Hey, I like Kavar and Zez-Kai Ell. Especially Zez-Kai Ell -he seems to be the only one of the bunch of masters (except for the cut Vash) that takes some responsiblity for how things have gone to the pits and acknowledges that the masters are not flawless. The only problem with Kavar and Zez-Kai Ell is that after seeming very sympathetic to the exile's plight when you meet them, they suddenly turn 180 degrees and agree with Vrook to punish the Exile. That could all have been written a LOT better, I fear... It could even have been made to work plotwise if things had been handled better.

Atris was a good character, though I hated her (as the Exile) I've found her deeper than other Sith Lords, but not better than them

I don't think Atris is a bad character. She can get boring at times, but she's OK. But, I thought Atris was supposed to be Nihilus, or something. Just look at the image and compare Nihilus' outfit and that of Dark Atris, in my opinion, it's an altered version of Nihilus' robes.

http://img48.exs.cx/img48/7330/trayaatris7jk.png

Actually, before playing KotOR II, I though that she was Nihilus. mainly because of that image where Nihilus mask appears, then fades, then Atris face appears.

She was great. She only had a small role to play and she did that well. Especially with a male exile. Nihilus was a MENACING sith lord who destroyed worlds, he had a huge role and that is why he was a let down. We EXPECTED something of Darth Nihilus yet Atris was a twist, so no points lost here. It is also a multi-stage battle which is also cool.

I have absolutely no complaints for the amount of time Atris spends on screen :)

Yes she was easy to beat but all the masters were too easy. I think the TSLRP is planning to make things more difficult

I would have liked her more if she had more screen time. In the beggining, she was all high-and-mighty-I'm-the-last-Jedi. Then, with very little explanations, she turns to the darkside. I would have liked it if the developers put more time into her character. Would have been more interesting if you saw her more than twice in the entire game.

I REALLY liked her, especially since I played male Exile. She's convinced herself that the only way to save the Jedi is to destroy it. She concluded that if the Jedi masters live, then they just spread the corruption that caused Exar Kun, Revan, and Malak. She believed the only alternative was starting from the ground up. One Jedi, the Handmaidens on watch for corruption (which would have been a stellar idea and may have even prevented Anakin!), and a VERY rigid adherence to dogma. However, the tragic flaw was in the foundation - her hubris in believing she was uncorruptable.

I liked Atris in some ways. Her plot with the Female Jedi wasn't too bad. I mean if you really look at it she was important. However, I hated how weak she was. I took her down in what...a minute? I mean for heavens sake just slap on one of the anti force belts (JalShey etc. belts) and down she goes!

Still...She did need more work. KOTOR II was a let down to begin with. I mean there could have been so much better writing but what do they do? THEY RUSH IT! God...they really need to think things over before they release a date.

Anyway, I liked Sion. Just he had no back to it...I mean he could have been a romance but he was pretty ugly. He always showed weakness for the Female Jedi. I liked Atton more though in the Romance way and Diciple...peh. Annoying!

Nihilius...Stunk! He was such a let down!

I REALLY liked her, especially since I played male Exile. She's convinced herself that the only way to save the Jedi is to destroy it. She concluded that if the Jedi masters live, then they just spread the corruption that caused Exar Kun, Revan, and Malak. She believed the only alternative was starting from the ground up. One Jedi, the Handmaidens on watch for corruption (which would have been a stellar idea and may have even prevented Anakin!), and a VERY rigid adherence to dogma. However, the tragic flaw was in the foundation - her hubris in believing she was uncorruptable.

Agreed. In a way Atris' corruption is similar to Anakin's in that in her zeal to protect the things she loves, she becomes the very thing she has sworn to destroy. Atris is the perfect example of how good intentions are the way to Hell. She was so determined to destroy the Sith that she sacrificed everything she believed in and fought for. But the best thing, if you're playing the LS male Exile, is that if you play close attention, you can see how all her ideals have been systematically put on their heads and perverted by the dark side, as Atris has fallen deeper and deeper into corruption over a decade. She was such a well-written character, particularly if the Exile was male, because you could very easily identify with her in the end. For the female Exile, I don't consider Atris quite as powerful, because the love connection is missing. In fact, I thought Atris' corruption (for LSM Exile) was much more compelling and better written than Anakin's was in Episode III.

@Jediphile: Yes. Being unpleasant and being good do not necessarily contradict each other. Look at cough medicine ;)

As for Zez-Kai and Kavar, that's precisely my point. They suddenly flip, and before that are just...bland. There's no real character to them, they're just reasonably nice, dull people, and then reasonably nice, dull people who want to strip you of the Force...

I don't see why Kavar is considered 'boring' by all you guys...

He's a friend of the Exile, and the ONLY one of the Masters that is sympathetic towards you when you ask him about the War. Of all the masters, he's the one that resembles the Exile the most, by his experience with war.

Also, the way you meet him (in the middle of a frickin civil war) score some cool points. And the fight afterwards, in which you together breach that throne room and save the day, is just plane awesome.

Regarding his personality and two-demensionality, I; ve got something to say as well. He has several meaningfull dialogues with the Exile regarding their shared past. For example, he has sparred with you, and he's the only Jedi you can't "kill" via an obvious dialogue like with Vrook and Zez-Kai.

@Topic:

Atris...mjeah...

Like all said before, the LS Male conversation rock hard, especially the end-scene, where you battle about the true meaning of the Jedi and way of life. And of course, the similarities with eachother :)

Actually, I like Zez-Kai Ell a lot more than Kavar. Kavar is supposed to be very friendly to the Exile, yet he still keeps his secrets, and Zez-Kai Ell is far more willing to admit that the jedi masters have made big mistakes. I like Zez-Kai Ell best of all the masters, except possibly Vash, who was cut from the game. She seems about as sympathetic to the exile's situation as Zez-Kai Ell, except that she does not admit to the masters' own flaws to the extent that Zez-Kai Ell is quite ready to do. I was sad to Zez-Kai Ell die.

It's not even that the decision is not understandable - it does hang together plotwise - it's just that all the sympathy you got from Kavar and, especially, Zez-Kai Ell is quickly and conveniently (the use of that word is always a bad sign) tossed out the window, when the plot needs to be tied up in five seconds.

Actually I think a cutscene could have tied it all up, where the masters disagree about what must be done. Naturally Vrook can't wait to cut the exile off from the force, but Kavar is undecided, because it's really not fair to the exile, and Zez-Kai Ell doesn't want to do it at all. Vrook manages to convince Kavar, however, whom then convinces Zez-Kai Ell that while it's not fair to the Exile, it needs to be done for the greater good of the galaxy, because the masters must protect the force before they can begin to search their souls for their own mistakes. Then Zez-Kai Ell might reluctantly agree that it is necessary.

I guess I just really missed the bit where Kavar and Zez-Kai Ell apologize to the Exile and admit that what they're about to do is not fair, yet needs to be done for the greater good.

Archived