Home

Anyone try the new JKE? (Jedi Knight Enhanced)

Kurgan

It's supposed to still be compatible with "vanilla" JK online, and I imagine with MotS (just rename the Gob to a Goo file and load it up)!

I haven't tried it since version .8, but 1.0 is out now (as of Jan 31st).

http://jkhub.net/project/show.php?projid=242&section=screenshots

For those who haven't followed it, it's a mod that works with JK1 (and MotS) that replaces the models, textures and sprites for Single and Multiplayer (most of them anyway) with higher poly and higher res textures, making it have a look more like modern games.

Check it out!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hehe. ;)

Just make sure you install the latest unofficial patch properly, or the ST Rifle, new Rail Detonator and Veamon skin will look wrong!

Sadly, the patch isn't (yet) MotS compatible, so those errors will still linger in the mod if you use it in MotS.

I love that it's compatible online though (you can play with others regardless of if they have the mod installed or not!).

Just keep in mind if you want others to see the other "bonus skins" (like Boc, Maw, Stormtrooper commander, etc) everyone needs JKE installed...

• 4 weeks later...

I just now found out about this mod. I didn't know anything about it until I found out at Massassi that it has been released. I will soon download it. If it works like I think it will it will breath new life into this old game. I haven't played JK in close to 5 years because the graphics were so old and out of date. But this mod just might be worth it weight in gold. I also have countless addon SP JK levels burnt to a CD that I saved a few years ago. If JK looks even close to JO and JA like the screenshots I looked at I'm going to be one happy Jedi.

I (briefly) tried it this morning, and I think it's really great. It's a very neat experience to play the classic JK with polished models. Only bug I found is that the skins don't show up properly in the MP character creation menu. Not a big deal though.

The next step would be to make a massive texture overhaul for the levels. It feels a bit odd to play with the great character models in a pixelated environment.

I (briefly) tried it this morning, and I think it's really great. It's a very neat experience to play the classic JK with polished models. Only bug I found is that the skins don't show up properly in the MP character creation menu. Not a big deal though.

The next step would be to make a massive texture overhaul for the levels. It feels a bit odd to play with the great character models in a pixelated environment.

I agree. It still has that dated look. Also wherever you shoot a bad guy it always takes a few hit to bring him down. I miss in JO and JA where you can shoot a bad guy in the head, stomach or arm and he has a different reaction to each one. But the JKE will get me back to playing it a little but not all the time like I did when it was new.

• 3 months later...

I love this mod for JK!!! i have always loved DFJK and with the new graphics done by shred it just makes me want to play the game more. I have one question though. has anyone tried the renaming the gob to goo files and seen how it works/looks with MOTS? interested in seeing if it totally transfers over or if some models are left out and are still the orginals? let me know

yes you can do this and it works :)

only problem is that some models are not updated :(

Right. Two models were done using a different technique from all the rest, and so they look messed up in MotS running under JKE... the Veamon's torso texture and the Rail Detonator skin. There was a MotS patched released awhile back that was supposed to fix this, but it didn't for me. :(

Also, if you pick a MotS model that isn't in JK, then your "weapon hand" (right fist) will be invisible with a weapon floating there.

The MotS specific weapons, models, etc are not replaced. Also, the "Sequencer Charge" mines appear in your hand as normal, even though JKE has them replaced.

Otherwise though it works great!

I can't wait for people to start working on mods to replace some more of the stuff so it looks less like Jedi Outcast... ;)

It sounds like Shred is not going to work on MotS. The project is "done" as is.

well i'll have to give this a shot then. how do i go about using the mod for MOTS? so do i pretty much follow the read me for JKE and just install the patch in the MOTS folder? then rename the GOB file? thats a shame that shred is not going to work on a total conversion for MOTS, he did a awesome job with JK. i would like to see that one done though. i do love playing those two games. i saw on JKHUB that someone was updating the levels of JK to make them cleaner. that looks promising too. has anyone heard anything more on it?

Download JKE. Rename the gob to goo. Then fire it up.

I forget which is easier, running it via Patch Commander or running it from a batch file (bat file), or just tossing it in the folder so it runs automatically with MotS.

Anyway, one method you use makes the game crash if you try to edit your multiplayer characters, so be sure you set them up in regular vanilla MotS BEFORE you run the mod. (another method you use, you can edit your players, but they'll just look like a rainbow colored mess in the preview, but fine in game, just like running JKE with JK).

If you apply the MotS unofficial patch (also available from jkhub.net) it may run better, but I didn't notice a difference.

The complete directions for installing the mod is included in the readme. I can't explain it any better than they do.

After you've done that and if you still have problems post here and I'll fix everything.

;)

The guy isn't interested in working on MotS. Technically he didn't even finish the JK one, since he didn't want to replace WeeGee or the AT-AT or the Stormtrooper transport. But he said it was "good enough" and that's all the work he's willing to put into it.

MotS has a whole new set of models, so it would take at least as long, with one guy doing it as the JKE one took (and since there aren't many equivalents in Jedi Outcast/Academy you'd have to use your imagination more... he claims he didn't import any models directly from those games, only used them as a guide when creating his).

Making the levels "cleaner"? In what sense?

I haven't heard a thing. If it's not posted on JKhub, then I don't know how you'd find out unless you talk to the editors yourself.

Note: each of the JKhub project pages has a "forum" connected with it, and you can go there and ask them yourself.

Basically we don't have a lot of people from there posting here, so we don't really know what goes on. One has to venter there to find out. I don't mean to say that in a mean way, but that seems to be how it's been going.

The JK/MotS editing community seems to pretty much stick to the site it originates from and rarely do they venture out. Our site was a haven for JK/MotS back in the day, but somewhere along the line it seems like other than a few holdouts (like your's truly), it's mainly attracted people interested in Jedi Outcast & Academy, or other games for those forums associated with them.

Pity, but I realize we can't be the center of everything. Let them have their community. ;)

Go forth and report back what you find!

ok cool. i'll have to give it a shot once i get my comp back up. just got done moving so have to put it back together. luckly i have the net at work so i can play all day so to speak. but the other mod i was talking about was the Jedi knight retexture pack. basicly form what little shots are on there he is reworking the levels to give them an updated look. thats what i meant by cleaner. that was the word that poped into my head anyway. its being done by Zwier Zak. though he hasn't posted much since April. but i have to say when i found out that Shred was redo the original JK i excited. he may have left a few things out but the mod is still a damn good one though. has anyone for JKHUB talked about doing a MOTSE that you have heard of?

Well one guy posted some screenshots (not sure if he's planning to release them, I begged him to) of his redo of the revive, TD belt, bacta tank and Sequencer mine stack which to me looked much better, more in the spirit of JK (rather than just a copy of JK2/JA or like the mines just stacked without the "clamp").

But apart from people begging Shred to do MotS (and him declining) I don't know. If it's not mentioned on JKHUB.net, then I guess we won't know...

Okay, it's been a while since I installed Add-on files for jk/mots. I can't get the bloody thing to work. Can someone please help me?

I need step by step directions on where to put what files to get this thing up & running.

Somebody please HBO (help a brother out) so's I can plays zis games,!!

Just extract the JKE files to your Jedi Knight\JKE directory (which youll have to make). Then you have to make a shortcut to:

"X:\<LOCATION>\Jedi Knight\jk.exe" -path JKE

And run the shortcut. Alternatively, you could use Patch Commander, available from this location @ Massassi.net.

Oh and I'm still looking for Glowsaber, since the flashsaber mod I'm currently using is making me dizzy. And the rest of all the saber mods are just plain crap.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived