Home

Anyone try the new JKE? (Jedi Knight Enhanced)

Kurgan

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok i tried setting up MOTS to run off JKE. and i couldn't get it to work. i renamed the gob file to goo. i installed the MOTS patch that i got off jkhub. and nothing worked. i tried running it off the JKE batch but still nothing. so what should i do now?

When you say it "doesn't work" what precisely do you mean? Do you mean the new models just don't show up, or does MotS refuse to load? Do you get an error message (if so, what error)?

Note: this won't work with any cracked version of the game, only the original (and the exe file can't be "read only" or the patch won't apply).

As for not finding the bat file, just search for it, and you'll find where it was installed.

none of the new models load. i can still open and play the game, just the new models are not in there. i do not get any error messages. so by cracked version what do you mean? i have the original game cd so i'm not sure if that means anything or not. shoul di use the MOTS patch ot the JK patch from the HUB?

Well if you have the original cd then no problem. I just meant that the MotS patch has to use the original EXE file for the game (and therefore you can't use any "no cd" cracks or patches, because those alter the EXE and will make the patch not work).

Use the "Unofficial MotS Patch" from the JKHUB.net site (I believe the sub-site on it is called "Unofficial JK Patch" project.

You apply that patch FIRST and then take the renamed (from gob to goo) JKE (latest version) and it will work.

If it still doesn't, please describe STEP BY STEP exactly how you are installing it, and where MotS is installed on your hard drive and we'll try to help!

Perhaps you should try it in JK first to make sure it's working properly (the JK unofficial patch + JKE). THEN try it in MotS...

I agree. It still has that dated look. Also wherever you shoot a bad guy it always takes a few hit to bring him down. I miss in JO and JA where you can shoot a bad guy in the head, stomach or arm and he has a different reaction to each one. But the JKE will get me back to playing it a little but not all the time like I did when it was new.

Just a nitpick, but the "one shot, one kill" stuff really only occurs in Jedi Academy. Jedi Outcast (JK2) had no heat shots, so a shot to the face does the same damage as a shot to the foot. JA was the first and only game in the series to feature area specific damage...

And there are plenty of high damage ways to kill people in one or two hits in JK/MotS anyway, so it's not a big deal, I don't see why people complain.

As for seperate animations of people being hit in different body parts, I'd have to double check all the games again to see about that. I didn't think it really mattered. There's already various pre-set death animation poses in all the games. The only difference was in JA you could enable the experimental "ragdoll" physics (that were a bit buggy in MP), which just affected the way the dead body draped itself around the architecture as it laid there (and how you could keep hitting the dead bodies in SP to make them move around, but not as much as in say, UnrealTech games).

The sheer speed and variety of JK/MotS in multiplayer is what kept me playing it (and would keep me playing it, if I had the time, even over more graphically modern games like Jedi Academy).

The character select thing is goofed because it's a coded thing. The engine renders the character select screen differently than it does the models in gameplay. Despite this, it's pretty easy to tell which character you are, you just don't get to "preview" them in full clarity before you dive into a map with them.

There was also (last I checked) a glitch in the MotS unofficial patch, so that the Rail Detonator and the Veamon chest are goofed up (the Veamon looks like his shirt is torn open, the Rail Detonator looks more plain because it uses the textures from the stock of the gun instead of the whole texture map) when using JKE (these glitches occur in JKE for JK as well, but only if you forgot to apply the JK unofficial patch). Also, you don't see the re-modeled Sequencer Charge (mines) in hand, with JKE MotS, because MotS modified the mines (for the manual detonation option).

The levels really aren't a big deal, but yes, some of the wall textures are pixelated. Still, the action is so fast, unless you're standing around staring at walls. After a short time you get used to it.

There was an application posted on Massasi a long time ago that "fixed" the MotS (and JK too iirc) world textures so that they would be converted to 16 bit (and were smoothed out and darkened slightly), but I don't know if it's compatible with JKE (you could try it of course).

ok i tried it again last night, still nothing. here is what i did. i uninstalled the game, then reinstalled it. i then applied the MOTS patch. i got a message saying the patch was complete or installed properly, press any key to continue. then renamed the gob file and put the JKE folder and the jke.bat in the MOTS fold that is on my hard drive under the lucasarts folder. when i click on the the bat file to launch it (i do the same for JK and it works) the game doesn't open. a rectangular box opens briefly but closes as soon as it opens. i did notice there are some program files that are on JKE and not MOTS shoul di be using the COGTEXT program? or the JK-extension.dll? also i noticed on the JKHUB there is a new updated patch for JK should i apply this to my JK or will the old patch i already have on there be fine to keep running JKE?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
yeah i got help from the hub, however some textures weren't clear as they are in JK. not a big deal or anything but its still nice to see the ones that are updated.

ok somthing weird happened while i was playing MOTS last night. has this happened to anyone else? i got through the levels with kyle, and when i switched to mara, all the weapons models except the bowcaster were the originals. the people, droids, enimies, pickups were all replaced except the weapons. not sure what that means.

that would be a grad dream come true, lol. has any of your models come out looking different when you play as kyle with the mots? i posted on the hub about it. but was wondering if maybe you had run into the same thing. but maybe we can convince shred or someone to finish doing the models in MOTS. i think that, and with the new saber mod that is out it will be pretty sweet.

Got it to work!!! i guess it was the patch, which makes sense now since they released the new patch for MOTS. i feel kinda better now....HOWEVER, i still think someone needs to replace the models. if i were good at doing stuff like that i would gladly try it but i'm not so i guess i need to resort to begging. lol

Archived