Home

KOTOR III needs more Romance!

Light of the Fey

Should there be romance in KOTOR III?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be romance in KOTOR III?

• Yes
    • Yes, but optional
    • No
    • Dosen't matter to me

^ The idea of and RPG in the Star Wars universe is that you choose whether or not your character has a love interest; cutting it out seems a little extreme.
I agree.

Many players won't even choose to be Jedi at all. Restricting this option is not to far from restricting Darkside choices, because Jedi wouldn't do those either.
Hmm... I think people play the game to get the Force option. I certainly did. It is called Knights of the Old Republic, after all... ;)

Maybe if people are that bothered by this option, the love stories should be implemented so you make the first move. At least that way people playing straight-Jedi-style can bypass any mention of Romance completely.
Agree again.

In my opinion, the best option would be a small twist on the KOTOR I one.

Have a male and a female NPC and you can choose whether or not to pursue a romance option with either of them. A variation on that would be with an Influence system, where options you make with one reflect on your relationship with the other one. But it's all optional. If you don't want a romance in your game, don't click those speech options. Easy.

We don't want it graphic. I felt the level in KOTOR I was just right. The love is expressed in the dialogue. That's fine.

I felt (maybe I'm just crazy *shrug* ) that the romance of my PC with Bastila in KOTOR was the main reason that she went up to the Star Forge to save Bastila rather than do the easy thing and just kill her.

Also, the fact that the romance was independent of the Light-Side/Dark-Side choice of my character was a nice touch.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I felt (maybe I'm just crazy *shrug* ) that the romance of my PC with Bastila in KOTOR was the main reason that she went up to the Star Forge to save Bastila rather than do the easy thing and just kill her.

That's what I liked about the romance in K1, it would tie into the story in some way. You could specifically, in dialogue, reference love to get her to turn back. The small bit of romance in K2 really had no effect on the outcome of the storyline. If they could get that same effect the K1 romance had in K3, it would be great.

That's what I liked about the romance in K1, it would tie into the story in some way. You could specifically, in dialogue, reference love to get her to turn back.

But you didn't have to. That's what made it such a brilliant game. You can redeem Bastila without the romance subplot if you don't like it. It wasn't just tacked on for the hell of it, it had real outcomes, but they weren't essential to get a "successful" ending (however you define success).

This is what I want for KOTOR III. A chance for romance if the players want it, with noticeable differences on the outcome, but not making it an essential choice for the player.

But you didn't have to. That's what made it such a brilliant game. You can redeem Bastila without the romance subplot if you don't like it. It wasn't just tacked on for the hell of it, it had real outcomes, but they weren't essential to get a "successful" ending (however you define success).

This is what I want for KOTOR III. A chance for romance if the players want it, with noticeable differences on the outcome, but not making it an essential choice for the player.

Perfect, I had forgotten to include that. It was indeed possible to redeem Bastila without the love plot, but much much harder. Possible, just a big pain in the rear. K3 romances would not be obnoxious and game-ruining if they kept it to something like that.

What really got me was in K2 all the sexual references (really, it seemed they were everywhere you looked) and yet the romance sub-plots were nearly non-existant. Compare that to the complete lack of sexual references in K1 and it's almost like the developers went to the opposite extreme with K2.

Hmm... I think people play the game to get the Force option. I certainly did. It is called Knights of the Old Republic, after all... ;)

That was poor wording on my part hehe. I was trying to convey that many players chose not to be a conventional Jedi.

To Jediphile, I agree love interests should play a more serious role in the gameplay, sacrifices etc. So would you rather a well done love story or none at all in this game?

To Jediphile, I agree love interests should play a more serious role in the gameplay, sacrifices etc. So would you rather a well done love story or none at all in this game?

Well done plot will be my choice in any story any time.

If it really matters to the plot, then why not. Worked reasonably well for LSM Revan in K1, I thought.

I guess I'm just tired of the sermon about how jedi cannot have attachments left and right only to have a romance option thrown in my face five seconds later. Especially if that romance option doesn't really go anywhere.

It could be interesting to put the pc in Anakin's position, where you have to abandon love to avoid falling to the dark side. I mean, we all know Anakin did bad, but would we really have chosen differently and left Padme to die? It's so easy to condemn Anakin, when we haven't faced that choice ourselves AND can look at his choice with knowledge of what the outcome of the choice will be.

Could be interesting to have a situation, where you actually have to let your love interest die to save the galaxy, but then I doubt Star Wars will dare to go there.

Given how jedi are not supposed to be in relationships, it's already pretty silly that both of the protagonists of the KotOR games were...

That doesn't mean they can't break the rules. Neither Revan nor the Exile had a Jedi Master keeping an eye on them; they were on their own. Plus, the Exile wasn't even a Jedi, he/she was kicked out of the order, and was just regaining his/her powers as time went on.

That doesn't mean they can't break the rules. Neither Revan nor the Exile had a Jedi Master keeping an eye on them; they were on their own. Plus, the Exile wasn't even a Jedi, he/she was kicked out of the order, and was just regaining his/her powers as time went on.

Uhm... Exile had Kreia, and she seemed more adamant about it than most jedi masters do - "charging up the loading ramp" ring a bell? ;)

As for Revan, Bastila was feeding him a sermon about it every two seconds. He got around that by playing teacher's pet :)

Uhm... Exile had Kreia, and she seemed more adamant about it than most jedi masters do - "charging up the loading ramp" ring a bell? ;)

As for Revan, Bastila was feeding him a sermon about it every two seconds. He got around that by playing teacher's pet :)

Kreia didn't love the Exile, she said 'i love you' at the end in a sick twisted sort of way lol, i don't think someone of her age would fall in love trance with a young stallion of a jedi.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Last think we need is a couple of your teammates making loud noices at th sick bay charging up the loading ramp, or the engine room locked and unavailable sice the wookiee and the hutt is pulling a bindo...

No, if there is romance, leave it to the pc. Granted, All Luke get in OT is droid...

No, nothing like that, in fact nothing that even needs to push any envelopes. Leave that to Mira. But for the characters, I dunno, Carth and Revan for example, to show their love and affection for each other every chance they get, that'd be neat. If we went with this scenario in particular for example then we would really get a sense for Carth's loss, or Bastila's loss. Sure, we're told about it, but to be actually shown it would really drive the point home.

This might explain it better.

Desire_by_NiniveKha.jpg

Kreia didn't love the Exile, she said 'i love you' at the end in a sick twisted sort of way lol, i don't think someone of her age would fall in love trance with a young stallion of a jedi.

I was talking about her adherence to the principle that the exile cannot take anyone he/she loves into the unknown regions. The "charging up the loading ramp" is a reference to a romance between male Exile and Visas. I did not mean to imply a relationship of that sort between Kreia and the exile in any way.

No, nothing like that, in fact nothing that even needs to push any envelopes. Leave that to Mira. But for the characters, I dunno, Carth and Revan for example, to show their love and affection for each other every chance they get, that'd be neat. If we went with this scenario in particular for example then we would really get a sense for Carth's loss, or Bastila's loss. Sure, we're told about it, but to be actually shown it would really drive the point home.

Actually, I wanted an ending where Revan committed to his/her relationship with Bastila/Carth depending on gender, assuming Revan is LS. I'm not big on the mushy stuff, but since the love relationship for Revan is so firmly established, I think it should be played out for that character. Besides, I think Revan has been through too much to truly recover from it now.

• 1 month later...

TSL did lack romance, but you're forgetting that spicy scene with Exile and Visas...meditating...^_^ But on a serious note, A good example romance wise would be something like the original SW trilogy between Han and Leia. It was completely PG-13 and well done.

I don't think romance belongs in the main plot of the game, unless it's used as an option for redeeming someone, as it was in K1 on the Star Forge. Romance seems to just fit better as a nice little side - um... quest? Maybe a side "bonus" would be a better way to put it.

I totally agree. Bastila and Revan romance wasn't forced, and it was great. Atton and the Exile's romance wasn't even a option.... it wasn't even there. Romance can help with any story, especially in Star Wars.

I love the romance. I get a kick out of it. besides, it adds verosimilitude to the game. I mean, people of both sexes locked together, fighting, learning about each other's every secret. Things are bound to happen between them.

In normal life you hardly ever learn what kind of person you are with until years have passed. And by then may be too late. It is a big problem. But when you have been in the trenches with someone, fought together, suffered and shared together then you know them for who they really are.

And after enduring all that that they leave their dirty underwear on the bedroom floor is not that big a deal. This is how I feel.

If we will have Bastila in the game, of course I want to have romance. And sex scenes... grrr.... just a joke. No, but this little techtelmechtel with Bastila in KotOR was really funny. I enjoyed it to make her upset and so on. With Carth I think the love story was too serious. With Bastila it was much more fun. And in KotOR II, ok, I liked Atton but the affairs with the others where too boring. (Still, I dream of having dirty talkings with Kreia, uh, she was a sexy beast, wasnt she?)

Archived