Home

SWG... Worth returning?

DAWUSS

I stopped playing SWG in mid-August, primarily due to financial reasons. I will admit that I don't miss the game anywhere near as much as I thought I would, but I never did uninstall the game in the event that I would come back to the game, and I'm beginning to ask the question: Is it worth coming back at this point?

I did snoop around at the main SWG website, and the first thing that I saw was the hologram bandmembers, which had me thinking SOE has sunk even lower on the social interactivity scale (I remember a day when the game FORCED you to make contact with other people [remember apprenticeship xp?] While I'm not saying app. xp should come back, let's at least have the entertainers try to have a little more required social interaction). IMO the only ones who shouldn't need to have social interactivity are bounty hunters and spies.

I also heard camps are back... Are those what we used to have back in the good ol' days?

How's Restuss? When I left that was starting to lose its "Galactic Hot Spot" appeal, and it did teach my character that a bounty hunter isn't a soldier, but I am just a wee bit curious as to how that cesspit is now. Have they torn up any other cities?

Is Mos Eisley still a suburb of 5 player cities-turned-ghost-towns? Is Mos Eisley still the only place where you find people?

Are there still 10 Jedi for one everything else?

I heard Helios got his walking papers, though little more on the details...

Have they cleaned out the playerbase yet (have they deleted inactive characters? If so I'm screwed, as I got attached to my characters)

I wonder if we'll ever get second(ary) professions. One-dimensionality is not the answer... Or did we get second prof choices?

Are there still bugs? Oh wait... I know the answer to that one.

And any other questions are specific to the server I used to play on, so that's about it

i'd say it's worth returning to, as all the professions have expertise now. Trader Revamp and Entertainer Expertise is coming back. The camp thing looks kinda neat, especially the one that has a shuttleport....that could be nice for some pvp events outside of restuss. On Starsider, there has been pvp on naboo alot recently.

I also heard camps are back... Are those what we used to have back in the good ol' days?

From what I've heard, they're going to be a little different, I'm not exactly sure as I need to read up a bit more.

How's Restuss? When I left that was starting to lose its "Galactic Hot Spot" appeal, and it did teach my character that a bounty hunter isn't a soldier, but I am just a wee bit curious as to how that cesspit is now. Have they torn up any other cities?

I think most people are tired of Restuss and are now going elsewhere. The GCW bases seem to be hot. They tried to get the old school Bestine/AH raids going on Starsider with some success, but not much. No other cities have been leveled.

Is Mos Eisley still the only place where you find people?

People who aren't pvping, yes.

Are there still 10 Jedi for one everything else?

No. Commando's and medics are now more powerful with their expertise, so a lot of people respeced to those two profs.

I heard Helios got his walking papers, though little more on the details...

He's still with SOE, just not SWG..they moved him [or he moved himself] over to UO.

Have they cleaned out the playerbase yet (have they deleted inactive characters? If so I'm screwed, as I got attached to my characters)

No, I quit when the NGE came out...I got the free trial end of last year, my toon was still there-a year later. And I don't see them ever deleting the old toons, heck those are the ones they want to come back.

Or did we get second prof choices?

No.

Is it worth coming back at this point?

I say no because it's still the NGE. Then again, I'm one of those disgrunted old pre-cu vets. ;)

The NGE now is certainly better then it was 16 months ago. But ultimately, it's up to you, if you liked the NGE, you'll enjoy it now. Really though, the way it is now...it should have been released in this version, rather then having everyone suffering through it on the live servers for the past year plus.

my .02, for what it's worth.

Guest DarthMaulUK

I dont miss the game at all. I DO miss the original style, which set Galaxies apart from all other MMOs out there. Now its just a game where everybody is a nobody. Such a shame.

DMUK

hey dmuk! yeah i can vaguely remember the various xp and the skill trainers...that's the main thing i miss about pre-cu/nge is being able to reset skills and gain xp in other areas..and the group hunting to earn xp...miss that gurk hunting on lok.

So it sounds as if things are slowly getting better, though it will take some time (which I would assume it would).

But yeah, I liked the complexity and the uniqueness of the pre-CU/CU template. They could try something along those lines with the whole expertise system, where you dabble in something from other classes. For example, I wouldn't mind having my Bounty Hunter start playing the Nalargon on the side or seeing a Commando make her own weapons.

I remember the profession trainers who you had to hunt down after acquiring a skill and all the "fun" that came with trying to search every major city for your profession trainer. I also liked it when the NPCs had individual names like "Vilad Zilar (a medic)" instead of just "a medic" and when every stormtrooper had an individual identification and not just the ones on the startup space station and the mission handout troopers on Dantooine.

The combat wounds and battle fatigue was cool back in the day. My pre-CU character was a medic (and pistoleer) at the time when JTL came out (and still is) and I remember seeing patients with an all black HAM bar.

I'll still need to deliberate for a little bit, though.

I can remember the days where you need to get your stuff back by retrieving your body, and days where a low level guy can have a pet rancor, and days where you can build on Dagobah, and days where you can ... ok, I left 2 months or so before NGE, and have never played ever since. I am wondering If I should go back also. Worth the effort?

I must ask why you are askin this question when its been answered above by numerous people. In the end its up to you. There are also numerous other threads in this forum of similar inquiries which may also help you in your decision making.

Archived