Home

SWG, or WOW

Daft Adidas

SWG or Wow?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. SWG or Wow?

• Star Wars Galaxies
    • World of Warcraft

There's only one thing that could get me back into SWG at this point (has been since I left):

Roll the game back to the beginning and start from scratch, and fire SOE and get some real Star Wars fans to create it. Someone who knows what the hell kind of time period we were supposed to play in and not mix up 4000 years of history and beyond into the game, just because "It's cool".

Turn this game into a Star Wars feeling game, especially the space part, which currently has Wing Commander physics and Wing Commander HUD. And it's no wonder it feels like Wing Commander when the lead designer for FTL also was a huge part of, yes, you guessed it right, Wing Commander. :D

This is Star Wars, everyone who has played any of the great Star Wars spacesims up thru the years know how the cockpit looks like, knows how the ships fly and how they feel and handle.

JTL was the last straw for me, after Jedi started popping up.

JTL was fun for awhile, but since it was basically like playing WC, it quickly lost it's appeal as a Star Wars game. :(

The best thing I can say about JTL, is the level of detail and accuracy on scales put into it. The star destroyer is the best, and most accurate detailed ISD mkI ever portrayed in a Star Wars game to this date. The only thing I found that stands out on it, is the wrong placement of the array on top of the bridge (between the domes) which should stand upright on the mkI, and not laying down like on the mkII. And this was clearly an mkI ISD.

He answered it in his first post. I have played both games and i have left and returned to both games. Wow has very fun aspects and Blizzard does a very good job of trying to keep things balanced and adding new content. SWG as Jan has stated has lost it's touch. IMO it went downhill fast when jedi was available to unlock. I know there are alot of currently playing SWG people that might come through here and read this and start raggin on me about jedi, but let me state that i play a jedi right now. The fact is that they should have added jedi if this was an Old Republic Era game. But it focuses on the time between A New Hope and Empire Strikes back. I know jans dream of swg will never happen, but for us Pre-cu people who miss the way it was, the Emu may be about soon and i hope to see my old buddies there.

Sidenote to jan: I need to get your msn buddy, i havent talked to you or corzip in forever :(

Ok since I won both of these games lemme give you a review

SWG: Good game until you realize that there is nothing to do. It hardly supports PvP or Group space battles. The devs are horrible, you cant get support for crap and it does not support game cards. Plan on soloing just about this entire game.

WoW: Great game, devs are always on top of things, Burning Crusade Expansion sucks unless you are a hardcore player. The game is kinda slow untill you reach the higher levels (30+) and PvP some of the best I have ever seen. Teamwork is an issue here as instances get realy hard and fun at the same time.

My opinion...EVE online is the best game I have ever played. No wait the best MMO I have ever played

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure since I've only tried the trial version of SWG. I really like the idea of a Star Wars MMO. Too bad It's still in the beta phase. (From what I've heard :p)

World of Warcraft is a great MMO, possibly the best one yet. I've been playing it since Final Beta and It's starting to bore me, the next MMO I'm going to play is either going to be SWG or Auto Assault.

Voted on WoW because It has everything that makes a good MMO work. Plus It has the best community I've ever seen.

SWG: Good game until you realize that there is nothing to do. It hardly supports PvP or Group space battles. The devs are horrible, you cant get support for crap and it does not support game cards. Plan on soloing just about this entire game.

See? Before NGE we have been grouped up hunting (for stuff to craft everything) questing (since smithies can't fight well) PvP (for a fun time) Partying (cause we can, and it levels craft exp) and much more...

Now with bunch of missions and what not it seems less fun.

Guest DarthMaulUK

I've played both. Blizzard know how to manage WoW but I didnt like it. Galaxies, well...its on lift support and have a bunch of devs who probably havent even seen a Star Wars film....ever!

DMUK

The devs in SWG are ridiculous, WoW devs at least play/understand their own game. I don't understand how you can even attempt to develop a game you don't play/enjoy. This is the difference between amazing development companies like Ensemble Studios (AOE, AOK, AOC, etc.) and Blizzard and companies like EA and SOE that are just out to make a buck.

However, SWG still has a TON more features than WoW, SWG never marketed the game correctly, and as a result never got the magnitude of a playerbase WoW has. There are a ton of problems with the NGE (SWGEmu.com for the win), but it is still better than WoW.

yep i agree. The devs sound like mo**s and the WOW devs know what they're doing. Hmm someone fire the devs! (i forgot who originally said that)

Trust me they are way worse than mo**s.

What someone have to do is to kidnap these mo**s, and force them to play the game for a month straight... Afterwards they will start to understand it, and may actually push the game towards a better direction.

• 2 weeks later...

Before NGE, I would say that SWG owns (in my opinion). I loved it, I even payed for 4 accounts!!! but when NGE came out I gave them all up, so no more SWG for me.

Right now WoW is better then SWG became.

If I could play on a pre NGE server I would, and WoW would be long forgotten.

too many rotten people in swg now. i miss playing as a trandoshan though, but they even took that away because bounty hunting ended up being ****ing impossible, even without decay they just hid in houses like idiots, and being on the bottom of the food chain all the time and not being able to take on anybody, well that sucked. so i quit and am richer for it.

Guest DarthMaulUK

You know. I didnt like WoW. Just didnt do it for me. Everyone is playing it as it seems the thing to do...but..the one thing I have noticed with Galaxies lately is that ALOT of Vets are returning and lots of new players are signing up.

The new expertise system has replaced the old Skills tree and it makes a lot of difference. Player bounties are back - brilliant as it was the ONLY reason why i used to play...hunting down Jedi! lol

I went to Mustafar yesterday and had a good look around and wow....what a place. Amazing landscape and dangerous creatures. Very good indeed. Combat is still hit and miss but it seems the community is coming back slowly. I would recommend giving it a whirl again or change servers.

DMUK

Archived