Home

KotOR III Online???

Master Zionosis

Should KotOR 3 be Online?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Should KotOR 3 be Online?

• Online and Offline (Both)

You know, i have spoken to loads of people and they all think that Star Wars Knights Of The Old Republic III should be online, like star wars Galaxies, but better, sort of WoW mixed with galaxies with a bit of phantasy star as well, i think that this would be wicked, not only online, but off line as well, so everyone who doesn't have the internet can play it as well, i think it would be way cool to be able to run around as your character in the old republic, and buy houses and stuff. What do you think?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course no!

In an MMO, you are one of a million Players. You are unimportant. Bah! I want to be important!

Also, in an MMO, there is no roleplaying (for the most part). Kinda a shame for KOTOR.

Not to mention that we already have MMOs (the RP Board). You set up an RP, and have people play online. Hence, an MMO. :)

KotOR games are involved single-player games with strong but fixed plots. If it ain't broke, then don't fix it.

If MMORPGs are your thing, then there are plenty of them out there. An MMORPG set in the KotOR era wouldn't be a bad thing, but it would cost in plot, because you cannot have an involved plot without a strongly defined protagonist, which means taking control away from the player, which is always a no-no in MMORPGs.

In KotOR you were Revan whether you liked it or not. In TSL the Exile was cast out by the jedi order and cut himself off from the force whether you like it or not. The plot were not only very fixed and linear - the main character was too - but the plots could not have been that strong without that. It was also necessary for the list of supporting characters, particularly your companions, to be well-developed.

It is virtually impossble to do that in MMORPGs because all characters are defined by the players and not the developers. Diablo II can be fun, but beyond the fixed NPCs, none of the acting characters have any personality but what you choose to apply to them, which has no impact on the game. You could claim your mage was exiled from his mystic order, but it would not matter at all. In KotOR, however, your past is essential to how the plot unfolds. But that's possible only because the developers are defining the characters and telling the story. As much as I like freedom of choice in games, I like strongly defined characters and compelling plots more. So no, I don't think that's a good idea. You can't make a KotOR game into an MMORPG without losing something. And there aren't enough good, involving single-player games around at the moment anyway...

I can see why the idea appeals to you, but I say no. Definitely no. There are plenty of online games out there. KotOR isn't meant to be one of them. I say this for a lot of the same reasons that SilentScope did. Online means <i>a lot</i> less focus on roleplaying, and also means that any semblance of a story would suffer greatly, as most online games are open-ended. I think that would be a travesty for KotOR, as that's one of the main reasons the games are so good. Also, not everyone has a good internet connection, so you'd be leaving a lot of people out.

As for having both online and off, that's even worse. Why? Because KotOR is a big game already. From what I've observed in game development, it's a BIG job to develop anything that has an online component. If KotOR III was going to have an online component, it would essentially be like developing two games at the same time. If that were the case, I'd much rather have it be twice as long instead of having any sort of online elements. The series began as a standalone RPG, and that's how it should stay, in my opinion. There are plenty of other places to go if you want to play an MMORPG.

I'll repeat what I've always answered to similar questions: I prefer a good complete single player game with a good plot, good dialogues, lots of role playing options, good and varied quests, and well fleshed out npcs than two half games. Ressources are never unlimited, so let's keep Kotor as it is and spend the money and development time on the sp campaing :)

Well, i wont bother arguing with you if you all don't want it to be online as there's no point, but that is why i put both, as in you have the main game and then you have the online bit, which is completely different from the main story, you play as a different character, you make a new one, it is more meanwhile while kotor 3 is happening that your online adventure takes place. Basically you don't have to play it online, its just so you can enjoy the times of the old republic with other palyers, with loads of different factions and guilds, not to do with kotor 3 story, in fact its more of another game, not kotor 3 online, more like kotor: the online adventures, but i still say both is better, that way, if your opinion is you wouldn't want to play it online then all the other people who think like me would play it online, it just gives palyers the chance to play and battle with each other, kotor 3 itself would have its own story and you just have the choice if you want to play the old republic adventures online or not.

I think that KOTOR III should be both, with each part having it's own storyline. Of course, in the offline part it'll be like the other KOTOR's, but in the online part it can be kinda like master zionosis said: WoW mixed with Galaxies (although not so much like Galaxies) ive never played phantasy star so idk what that game's like.

Well, at least some people agree with me, what I'm suggesting is that they would be separate story lines, but with the KotOR 3 game so it would work the same way as all Kotor games but with online changes and such.

I'm sure alot more people agree with you than you think, although everyone who has said no do have their points. but IMO, online is always fun since you can talk and interact with other ppl. and if ur one of those ppl who don't like interacting with others, then well... what are u doing on this forum site? lol. and as for the separate storylines, they should have your character in the online version a regular soldier a la Battlefront so as not to screw with Star Wars canon

Well, I think that the online and offline idea is great (JUSt NOT A MONTHLY FEE!!!!)

I mean, when you play online, not only can you hook up with friends and like totally pwn your next door neighbor with a lightsaber, but you could also make a totally new rpg plot (it sorta worked for The Matrix : ONLINE)

Like ya, and have the servers all be able to install downloadbale content. But have a thing for whenever a player joins, the mod is uploaded to the server so everyone can use it (but that may be a bad idea, server would reset everytime a player joined =/)

I dont like the buying a house thing. Maybe KOTOR 3 should have more worlds though, hence a home world. I would LOOOOOOOVE to see Coruscant, definately Hoth, and many others.

So lets say kotor three had...... oh 20 worlds (just an example). You could start a clan/team and pick a world as your homeworld. If your clan was Jedi based, coruscant. Sith based, Korriban! Neutral, you could choose kashyyk ^^.

I also think that they should post a SEVERE CHEATING FILTER for online play, no one wants to get pwned by a lvl 99999999999 sith master with a 12 foot long pink lightsaber =/

But ya, I would love to see it go online and off, I think it would be fun, kinda like NWN. People could also maybe make custom worlds for their clan! Maybe even custom ships!!!!! The possibilities are endless ^^

I'll repeat what I've always answered to similar questions: I prefer a good complete single player game with a good plot, good dialogs, lots of role playing options, good and varied quests, and well fleshed out NPCs than two half games. Resources are never unlimited, so let's keep KotOR as it is and spend the money and development time on the SP campaign :)

Quoted For the Truth

Archived