Home

Sports you do

The Architect

As can be proven by the FIFA 2006 thread, I'm a soccer fanatic. I guess I'm not your typical nerd. I enjoy sports. Watching them, doing them whatever. Having a beer with some friends while watching a hockey game is awesome. I also play soccer all summer long, from the second the snow melts to when it starts pouring down again next winter season.

Yep, got to love the round ball.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I play American Football (you better not diss), and will be joining a Rugby team for the first time.

Out of the two I prefer American Football and love it. I play left tackle and defensive end.

Aside from that I exercise regularly. Weights, jumprope, long runs. Though more emphasis on weights. People think Im weird because they know that I'm a hardcore nerd but I would also be considered a quite proficient athlete at my school. On the football field I knock people down and get knocked down, but then I come home and read my star wars comics.

My brother and I used to run a roller skating rink, as we knew the owner. Every chance we got during closed hours, we would get our friends over and play hockey. Even without pads or helmets we would play by the book with checking and everything. Yeah we were crazy too.

We did invent our own skate skiing. What we done was get the riding mower in the building and onto the floor, tie a rope to the back of it, and then get pulled around on skates. Sound boring? Not when you are going full speed and then get wipped around. Our speeds got at least up to 20 mph, but it would feel much faster than that.

Besides all of this and just playing catch and yard football, I haven't played any other sports.

I recreationally play football. I was thinking of taking a run at playing on the Senior football team, but I reconsidered due to other important things. >_>

I will be playing baseball this year. Which I haven't since 2003. I was horrendous then, I've improved since. Though, I played on the school softball team that finished second. And not to sound too pompous, I was the best player on the team.

I also play hockey (specifically floor hockey) since I lack in skating ability :dozey: which is especially sad for a Canadian. Though, there is the floor hockey tournament at school that I have registered a team for.

Otherwise, any other sport I play, I do when the other sports are not available to play.

I used to do a lot of sports when I was a teen but mostly freestyle skiing (especially moguls...I wanted to do downhill but there were no mountains for this in my area :p) and horseback riding (hunter/jumper competitions, did some dressage and tried cross country too). My dad sold the horses when I entered university and now I mostly just go skiing once in a while due to lack of time and distances.

Yeah, jonathan7 is right. Everyone to a degree, in some way is a nerd/geek. I myself am a soccer, (and no, some of us Aussies like me call ‘football’ soccer, it isn’t just the Americans) AFL, English (the subject, not the language) and Star Wars (just the OT really), KotOR, TSL and FIFA (the games), nerd/geek, because my knowledge, skill (nerdiness in other words) and interest level (geekiness in other words) in those things are high.

And to a lower degree than the ones I mentioned above, I’m a cricket, education in general and pool (not swimming pools) nerd/geek and yeah, the list goes on I guess. And have I heard of Blackburn Rovers jonathan7? Of course I have! I’m like the biggest soccer nerd there is! I just love that game.

And SilentScope001, why am I not surprised to hear that you were a member of the National Academic League, and a member on the Academic Decathalon? This is a compliment by the way. Yeah, I’ll call you a geek, because anyone who is/was a member of the NAL and the AD has to be a geek.

I laugh at morons who speak of nerds/geeks of SilentScope001’s type in a negative and insulting manner, since the way I see it, they’re inferring that it’s not a good thing to be intelligent and knowledgeable. Umm…WTF? So what, they’d rather be stupid and ignorant? How idiotic is that?

I was pretty much like jonathan7. I got along with everyone at school and had friends from all the different ‘categories’, but it wasn’t always like that. I was in ‘the cool’ group and while I knew most of them were dickheads and moles, I still hanged around with them and during the first two and a half to three years of high school, I was also a stuck up, smart mouth tool, and I knew it deep down too.

But I matured and all, as some of the people I hanged around with left. I wasn’t proud of being a jerk in my younger days. It’s difficult to explain why I was. It’s just one of those ‘immature teenage phases’ or something.

The ones from the ‘cool group’ who stayed on like me also began to ‘grow up’, and it was only from Year 11 onwards that I became the person that I am today, and got along with all the different groups of people we had at school.

I wasn’t the golden phys ed boy like jonathan7 was though. Like I said, I was good at soccer (I mean come on, not everyone can haki a soccer ball 53 times in a row with one foot, but that was my problem/weakness, my favourtism of the right foot).

We had brilliant athletes at my school, in my year. My grade had some of the best U-18 soccer, Aussie Rules and basketball players in the state, and we had great swimmers and runners too. So I wasn’t crap or anything when I did PE during Year 8, 9 and about half of Year 10, it’s just that I was competing against sport freaks!

Hey, nothing is nerdy anymore. Fernando Torres, a very popular Spanish soccer player, has a tattoo in Tengwar.

You see Fernando Torres is a popular guy because not only is he a renowned and brilliant soccer player, but he’s also a hit with I assume many ladies and some gay guys because of his good looks.

He probably doesn’t even know what that tattoo represents, he probably just liked the look of it, or maybe not. You see, he can get away with it. Most people might say oh that’s cool, but if someone who isn’t famous for anything except looking like a cave troll gets the tattoo that Torres got, would he get the same oh that’s cool reception Torres most likely gets?

What I’m trying to say is, I don’t think whether people are cool or not depends on their hobbies anymore, I think it’s all about your looks. If Bill Gates looked like Brad Pitt would he get the same ‘loser/nerd/geek’ reception he does by many?

I'm an AC Milan supporter by the way jonathan7. And of course, go the Socceroos! Burn ref who knocked us out of the WC burn!

And SilentScope001, why am I not surprised to hear that you were a member of the National Academic League, and a member on the Academic Decathalon? This is a compliment by the way. Yeah, I’ll call you a geek, because anyone who is/was a member of the NAL and the AD has to be a geek.

I laugh at morons who speak of nerds/geeks of SilentScope001’s type in a negative and insulting manner, since the way I see it, they’re inferring that it’s not a good thing to be intelligent and knowledgeable. Umm…WTF? So what, they’d rather be stupid and ignorant? How idiotic is that?

Meh, I know guys like that who used to give the really intelligent kids stick, but the way I look at it, those intelligent kids will go on to be Doctors, engineers, politicians, buisnessmen etc, where as the muppets that take the mick out of those who have knowledge will never make anything of themselves, they will just live in the same old place hanging onto the 'good' old days when they were king in school, instead of making something of themselves.

He probably doesn’t even know what that tattoo represents, he probably just liked the look of it, or maybe not. You see, he can get away with it. Most people might say oh that’s cool, but if someone who isn’t famous for anything except looking like a cave troll gets the tattoo that Torres got, would he get the same oh that’s cool reception Torres most likely gets?

What I’m trying to say is, I don’t think whether people are cool or not depends on their hobbies anymore, I think it’s all about your looks. If Bill Gates looked like Brad Pitt would he get the same ‘loser/nerd/geek’ reception he does by many?

I'm an AC Milan supporter by the way jonathan7. And of course, go the Socceroos! Burn ref who knocked us out of the WC burn!

Meh, its the way the world works, Bill Gates gets so much stick because people are jealous of all his wealth, but they don't deserve it as he does so much with all his money, e.g. funding vaccinations in africa, etc where as alot of the worlds rich to bugger all with there money

AC Milan are alrite, struggled without Shevchenko though. It was an interesting desicion that penalty, but was also stupid by Lucas Neill to go to ground in the penalty area... if I was Grosso and it was a world cup game and your down to 10 men with a couple of minutes left would u not fall over the invitiation for a penalty appeal? I know I would! (sorry if that offends you... I was supporting you lot, but I know I would of done the same, and being a Blackburn fan I know Neill, plays well and then does something really stupid like that!)

I played Football (American) in for 6 years (4 Varsity HS), I've played QB, RB, WR, TE, Slot, CB, SS, FS, PR, KR, and holder for filed goals.

I've played Baseball as long as I can remember including 4 years Varsity.

I played Basketball in high school, but for only 1 year and only JV, Freshman year I broke my ankle at the end of football season, so I couldn't play, I played JV sophomore year, but I got fouled out every game, it was too soon after football season...

I also go bodyboarding and if I get the chance I go Skiing/Snowboarding, I just got back from a snowboarding trip today actually.

Meh, I know guys like that who used to give the really intelligent kids stick, but the way I look at it, those intelligent kids will go on to be Doctors, engineers, politicians, buisnessmen etc, where as the muppets that take the mick out of those who have knowledge will never make anything of themselves, they will just live in the same old place hanging onto the 'good' old days when they were king in school, instead of making something of themselves.

Yeah true, and that too.

Meh, its the way the world works, Bill Gates gets so much stick because people are jealous of all his wealth, but they don't deserve it as he does so much with all his money, e.g. funding vaccinations in africa, etc where as alot of the worlds rich to bugger all with there money

Meh, its the way the world works. :lol:

Unlike most people, I respect Bill Gates.

AC Milan are alrite, struggled without Shevchenko though.

Yes we have. Even if we weren't deducted any points, we'd still be 4th with 38pts, and that's below par. We need, new, younger players. We're so...old. I'm more concerned about our defence though. And for ~snipped~ sake, why didn't we buy a decent keeper (something we lack) in the transfer period?

It was an interesting desicion that penalty, but was also stupid by Lucas Neill to go to ground in the penalty area... if I was Grosso and it was a world cup game and your down to 10 men with a couple of minutes left would u not fall over the invitiation for a penalty appeal? I know I would! (sorry if that offends you... I was supporting you lot, but I know I would of done the same, and being a Blackburn fan I know Neill, plays well and then does something really stupid like that!)

Oh no, I'm not offended, because I agree with you! Yes it was indeed stupid of Neill to go to ground like that. It's not Grosso I'm pissed at, it's that ~snipped~ ref! Did you know that he said he made the wrong decision and that he only awarded Italy the penalty because he was too tired to ref in extra time? Talk about rubbing salt in the ~snipped~ wound!!!

While diving is cheating and is frowned upon by most people, I ah...don't mind it and see the wisdom in the madness of diving! Think about it, you can win your team free kicks, penalties and you can get an opponent booked whether it be a yellow card or a red card. Diving is nothing but a tactic...a dirty tactic.

I can't see diving ever being rubbed out of the game. It's up to the refs to be able to spot out diving incidents and punish the diver. So no, given the situation against us, I don't blame Grosso for what he did. I'm certain I would have done the same thing!

By the way, I'm convinced that Italy won the World Cup because it was rigged. I have no idea who was involved in the scandal, but I'm almost 100% sure that the WC was fixed...corrupt. Yes, you probably think I'm crazy, and yes, you probably think I'm just being a biast sore loser about all this. If you want more details on my 'soccer conspiracy theory', feel free to PM me.

Nice avatar by the way.

I understand the passion that soccer can create, but that's no excuse to use that kind of profanity. Please don't use that term again here. --Jae

Oh it's very possible to be labeled an athlete and a geek.

I love math and science. I love literature. I was a com sci major in college.(however, in the 80's that didn't mean very much).

There are a few whom are labeled geeks who are quite proficient at sports.

I am one of those hybrids.

As a kid:

Sandlot Baseball

Pick-up B-Ball

Flag and sandlot tackle football

Sometimes if there was only two of us, we'd play what's called Wall-ball.

...anyone know what that is? :)

In High School I played football(QB and corner), Basketball(guard), and ran track(hurdles,long&triple jump).

At UW LaCrosse, I ran track(mainly triple jump, some sprints).

But, here is where the fun, sandlot tackle football happens.

Dorm against dorm on a rainy, muddy, September Saturday afternoon.

(cygnus stares into space remembering what a great arm he use to have)

Now, with those days behind, I still play a pick up hoop game here and there in the summer, but it gets harder and harder with these kids getting faster and faster.

...or am I slowing? Naw, couldn't be.

I play softball and volleyball for city league. I live for summer weekend softball tourneys.

...and outside of video games, I'm completely addicted to golf.

I just picked up a brand new, sweet Titelist bag and mongramed towel.

Now, I'm officially cool.:)

After reading this thread, I'm wondering if I have what it takes to learn fencing. I've always been attracted to that sport.

Oh by the way, Seeker, nice avatar. Loved the novel.

Sorry Jae. I always type and write how I talk in conversations, and yeah, I do swear like the vast majority of people do. I’m not a fouled mouth jerk though. Anyway, I like the ‘snipped’ more with that post.

It’s not Grosso I’m pissed at; it’s that ‘snipped’ ref! :lol:

^^ Milan fan eh? I've always preferred Inter myself, as my 'Italian Team'. Manchester City being my #1.

Not only are we rivals with Italian League teams, we are rivals in the Premier League, since Manchester United has always been the English team that I barrack for. But note that I know we are a hated team and most of are players are umm….jerks (that’s acceptable language, isn’t it)?

So true. I'm on varsity basketball and varsity football and I still get made fun of for liking Star Wars. :(

That’s why you should have kept it a secret. Too late for you though now, right? Of my friends, only my three best friends know that I’m a Star Wars fan an all. Common sense told me that at High School, it wasn’t a good idea to let people know that I like Star Wars, since my observations and logic told me that Star Wars = uncool. Of course, I highly disagreed with that notion! But I played along.

Agreed. Expect I am not on any school teams, but I do play sports in school. But, I just choose to ignore it.

What I did was I almost never brought up Star Wars around anyone in school conversations. It was hard for me, since I’m a Star Wars fan an all. People were talking about Revenge of the Sith in 05’, since it was coming out soon an all, and I did briefly talk about it with some of my mates, but acted as if I didn’t really like Star Wars, as if I couldn’t care less whether I ever see RotS or not, when truthfully, I couldn’t wait for it to come out!

The Star Wars stuff I’ve got are the movies and the KotOR games, so I used to hide them whenever I invited someone over, because I was kind of ashamed to be a Star Wars fan back in the day, but now, since I only keep in touch with me three best mates and have matured, I’m open about my Star Wars fanboyism, since I’m honest at all times now, and to my surprise, it doesn’t really bother them. That to me, is true friendship.

It’s kind of sad isn’t it, but understandable, since many people, such as myself, had the ‘fear of rejection phase’, which is, if you ‘fit in’ with people at High School, you want it to stay that way while you’re there. I realise now though that I shouldn’t be ashamed of anything that I like. I should be open about it, even if it is considered nerdy, like Star Wars generally is.

Archived