Home

Kotor Capabilities

Ragnerok

I got to thinking and i have some new ideas.

-Space Combat (same as Galaxies when it comes to customisation, combat etc)

-Fully explorabe planets (again, the same as Galaxies)

-Fully Customizable Items (same as KOTOR2, but customizable looks etc. as well)

-Every time you play it is different! (e.g different quests lead to different storylines. I was so frustrated in KOTOR2 when you played DS and you had to go save Telos, and go and destroy the Sith)

-And maybe, just maybe, The Jedi Knight Series combat, as opposed to turn based.

All these things would make KOTOR3 far more enjoyable.

I like KotOR as it is - plot-driven and turn-based.

If Galaxies and Jedi Knight is someone's cup of tea, why not have more of those games intstead of rewriting KotOR into them?!? :confused:

Nothing wrong with those games or people who like them, I just happen to not be one of them, and I prefer to keep KotOR similar to what it is, despite the flaws I perceive in it (like the ghastly d20 system).

Sorry, but I don't think KotOR should be either Galaxies or Jedi Knight. The only way I would even consider accepting "semi"-realtime combat is with auto-pause that interrupts combat every time someone under my control gets to act. If not, then the chances of me playing KotOR3 would not so much drop as plummet...

Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

I have a feeling that the developing time of KotOR III would be drastically increased if they made fully-explorable planets.

The combat system is fine as it is. The only change in the combat that I would accept would be different animations to make it look more realistic. As Jediphile said, my chances of playing KotOR III would severely plummet if this doesn't turn out to be the case.

Let's pump up the graphics, too. Time for some Oblivion-style graphics.

Personally, I don't feel any particular need for better graphics, but given that TSL used the same engine as KotOR, which is now four years old or so, I think we can safely assume that the graphics will be very improved. I will always go for the plot - heck, I still play Fallout 2 now and then - but graphics sell, and so nice graphics are virtually guaranteed.

-Space Combat {snip}

That would certainly take a while for the developers to implement. To cut costs down to a more reasonable level, there'd probably be less time spent on the story (you'll notice the TES games are rather like that and lacking in plot).

-And maybe, just maybe, The Jedi Knight Series combat, as opposed to turn based.

Maybe it's just me, but none of the people who want to scrap the turn-based combat seem to notice the next-gen games that actually do that (such as Force Unleashed). Since there's already to going to be a game with flashy visuals, graphics and JK-style combat, why convert KotOR?

Would take longer than just re-using the current engine again. I'd love that (maybe with improved textures and models), but it's unlikely to ever happen.

Would take longer than just re-using the current engine again. I'd love that (maybe with improved textures and models), but it's unlikely to ever happen.

I agree with those that say "If isn't broke then don't fix it." Personally I would rather see he graphics tweaked instead of a major overhaul. Look at what has happen with NWN2. While the game looks a lot better you cannot even do something simple like change your portrait. If the modders cannot do reskins or other graphical changes then I say no to any major graphics changes.

KOTOR doesn't need any major drastic changes. If they didn't change anything, I'd still play it and be satisfied (provided it has a great story since CRPG's are indeed story driven). I would just like to see moderately improved graphics, improved pixel count (some of those models look like downright trash, add in a little more and they could be great), and a little more spice to melee duels. After playing the game so many times, it does get rather boring watching the same moves over and over. Especially would like to see finishing moves, and more realistic mid combat moves (example, me slicing someone in the head with a lightsaber or stabbing them through the midsection should be more "finish-move"-ey, since that would do a lot more damage. Stuff like glancing blows, hard hits to the weapon (painful and tough to defend against) to wear the opponent down and then finish them off with a "disarm-and-stab" or a "smash and headslice" to put them down for the count. Think medieval 2: total war troop dueling animations :).

I agree with most people (KotOR doesn't need most of these changes), but I do think that it wouldn't be a bad idea to make the world less static and linear. It's mostly a size issue, but if they made the planets bigger (not really "fully explorable", that would be impossible unless the planets are all unusually small) and allowed us to explore more, I think it would be a nice improvement. Not every area needs to be storyline-related.

I actually find the Oblivion (and NWN2 for that matter) graphics to be not so far ahead of what we had in KotOR (yes, I run on the higher settings). Sure it's more shiny, but not by that much if you consider the big difference in the requirements.

I agree with those that say "If isn't broke then don't fix it." Personally I would rather see he graphics tweaked instead of a major overhaul. Look at what has happen with NWN2. While the game looks a lot better you cannot even do something simple like change your portrait. If the modders cannot do reskins or other graphical changes then I say no to any major graphics changes.

The problem with NWN2 is that they wanted to make it feel like it runs on a new engine without actually doing so. They took NWN1's engine and simply piled and piled things over to make it look newer (basically a big facelift). Personally, I think that sequels should have new engines. It was fine with KotOR, but TSL didn't really look like a new game even though we all paid full price for it in the end. Even though I'm a bit disappointed with the way NWN2 turned out, I wouldn't have bought it if they had simply stuck to the original engine with minor changes. If they can't make a new engine, a major overhaul is still better than nothing when it's a standalone sequel.

And when you think about it, KotOR runs on Odyssey, a heavily modified version of NWN1's Aurora. So KotOR does run on a "major overhaul" and it turned out to be very nice on the technical side (much better than NWN2's Electron overhaul). Major overhauls are not necessarily bad; but they are easy to mess up.

(shrugs about everyone's graphics opinion) I'd still play KOTOR3 if they didn't change the graphics.

At least w/PCs, let the player choose which side to stick the ctrls, party order, item selections, etc.

...I can't run FO1 or 2 anymore, but they were fun. Fallout Tactic's fun, but rather for a FO3 than a FOT2...

I would like to see them release KOTOR 3 with the same graphics engine and try to justify me spending 50 dollars on it. The bar in graphics has been raised significantly since KOTOR 2. Mass Effect is the game to look at if you want to know where KOTOR 3's graphics should be.

Story is all fine and great, but you can't simply ignore the fact that most gamers focus on graphics.

I feel it should not be changed in any way except perhaps for the combat system. The main reason I play Kotor and Tsl is because of the rpg aspect of the games. However, I like both games as they are and wouldn't mind if they kept the combat system the same.

Hm unlike most of us here, I want to see a lot more than a fresh story.

If it's just a new story, please, call it Addon and sell it for half the money.

Kotor III just needs improvements in almost every aspect. There's always progress in games (or there should be). I'd like so see improved graphics, improved party interaction, better combat animations, and countless other things.

Archived