Home

Astro: Time to Relocate !!

Astrotoy7

Then I would go with the X2 4600+ @2.4GHZ because it's close to being $100.00US cheaper than the X2 5000+ @2.6GHZ while being only about $25.00US more than the X2 3800+ @2.0GHZ. It offers the best bang for the buck for a non-O/C setup.

If you were O/C'ing, I'd say go with the X2 3600+ @1.9GHZ. People are getting great speeds (as high as 3GHZ!) out of it, and it's OEM price is a ridiculous $65.00US, making it the cheapest dual-core on the market.

What's the pros and cons of O/C'ing though?

Can it damage your motherboard? Or just your CPU?

Is it recommended on stock cooling? Or do you have to get better cooling than that?

Maybe it should be in another thread, lol, just wondering...

Pro(s):

-Getting a cheap chip to perform like a much, much more expensive one.

Cons:

-Usually requires an aftermarket heatsink. It can be done with the stock heatsink, but only to lower clock speeds. Note that OEM CPU's don't ship with a heatsink.

-May require better (faster) memory -not much of a con because memory prices are low(er) right now.

-Requires a case with good airflow/fans.

-It can damage/fry your CPU, but only if you're extremely careless. There's lots of good guides to follow that are available online. They can tell you how to prevent this from happening.

RAM : 4GB DDR2 (this units mainboard supports up to 8GB)

Is there a difference between 32 and 64-bit Vista?

Well one difference is that you'll need the 64-bit version if you want to be able to use 8GB of ram.

I heard that the 64-bit version As for the 64bytes edition, lets you install only Microsoft signed drivers...

Yep, that's PatchGuard. It's a feature that got the antivirus folk pretty upset since it prevents Ring 0 access to unsigned drivers. That means they have to get all their software signed by Microsoft if they want it work on Vista64. It's really not a bad move on MS's part security-wise, as long as they can skirt the antitrust lawsuits.

Pro(s):

-Getting a cheap chip to perform like a much, much more expensive one.

Cons:

-Usually requires an aftermarket heatsink. It can be done with the stock heatsink, but only to lower clock speeds. Note that OEM CPU's don't ship with a heatsink.

-May require better (faster) memory -not much of a con because memory prices are low(er) right now.

-Requires a case with good airflow/fans.

-It can damage/fry your CPU, but only if you're extremely careless. There's lots of good guides to follow that are available online. They can tell you how to prevent this from happening.

Can someone explain to me what OEM is all about please? Cause I'm a bit confused...

You can only use the OEM version on one computer, so if you buy a new computer, you have to get a new copy. Not so with the retail version.

As far as upgrading the main components on your computer like the motherboard and CPU with the OEM version, I don't know, since you'd essentially end up with a different computer after the upgrade. I'll bet someone else knows the answer to that one and I hope that they post it, as I'm rather curious about this myself.

Thought so.:(

So if your motherboard dies you're just SOL?

it's a matter of calling MS, telling them that and getting a new key.... There are some extra conditions with this IIRC, such as registration(not just activation)

funny thing is sneaky types were doing this to fully activate RC2 copies back in the day...lolz :p

I dont see why an 'average user'(surfin/workin/gaming) would need 64 bit yet. The driver hassle is just one obstacle you can face....

Funnily enough, my mobo can support up to a ridiculous 16GB with a 64bit OS. Its too bad they havent made 4gb sticks of ddr2 6400 yet!! :p

OEM is an acronym for "original equipment manufacturer" - which has a quite complex legalistic definition(which probably only D333 can make sense of) :p

As far as PC DIYers are concerned - it means: "buying stuff that is out of its fancy retail box so it is significantly cheaper!!" In the case of Vista, as mentioned above - you are legally only entitled to install one oem copy per machine. If you buy the full retail Vista, it gives you a more liberal license... (up to 5pcs?? or something like that)

Recommended RAM - only get super dooper(expensive) ram:

a)if you feel you really need it, want to do some OCing and mess with the timings

b)if your mobo supports it. Alot of that uber RAM works at 2.2V, which sometimes doesnt sit nicely with mboards that want the plain ole 1.8V.

The corsair value select range is great IMO for someone after some good quality, cheaper RAM. Great performance - at a nice price. Some people use Kingston, but Ive only ever used that brand in a laptop so cant comment too much on it. To tell truth, Ive seen people use generic brands too which have worked fine as well. It all comes down to what you can afford

mtfbwya

• 2 months later...

lolz....how things change...Ive become fed up with my 'pirate' rig. why ? its too big!! I want "smaller" smallform damnit! Having extra space in there for a TV tuner is no longer as issue, as it was originally...

Thus, with much financial plotting and scheming, and hawking my wares on ebay - I'm finally getting what I always wanted..... as mentioned above:

The Shuttle SN27P2 !!

shuttle2gg6.jpg

Ive already listed the specs above.. I should be picking up mine this week :)

I have also sold my 7950GX2! its about time I get a DX10 card... It's no huge surprise to anyone at all that Im leaning towards a 8800GTX...in particular the XFX XXX Edition.... lolz... love all those Xs ;) But I may end up getting something a bit more conservative if I end up getting one of these:

Samsung Syncmaster 305T

30" LCD capable of 2560 x1200 via dual link DVI. My existing Samsung 27" 1360x786(720p) will go on the wall in our bedroom :D This monitor should hopefully future proof me until it is the norm to run games at those resolutions!

l_305t.jpg

all that screen real estate at ultra high rez makes me drool....(figuratively)

But until I actually get my 8 series card....You can all have a good giggle to know I will be using an old geforce 6200 Turbocache 64mb :(:p

lolz...

mtfbwya

Finally I've beaten the master of specs! [i have a 6600]

lolz :p yes, have your giggles...

My stepdaughters pc has that, but Im not going to go the hassle of pulling it out to ever so slightly make me feel better :D hehehe (if it was a 7950GT like I put into my sisters rig, then I would have pulled it in a sec!)

mtfbwya

• 1 month later...

my whole new kit will be up and running soon... the shuttle smallform, 880GTS 640MB, all here - just need that 30" monitor and my uber pc is done :D I'll be back with pics in the not too distant future....!

2560x1600 native rez....[/drools]

mtfbwya

Archived