Home

Hasta la Vista?

Rasmoroth

i thought I'd go ahead and post the article I wrote for a newsletter at NFZ (yes, I am an amateur journalist, heheh).

I go by the name of Cloud. there (ya, the period was a typo but it lived on) and Ryoku is the head editor, that's why he posted it there. Here's the original post:

http://z14.invisionfree.com/Naruto_FlamingZero/index.php?showtopic=6776

And now for the good stuff:

--------------------------------

header1vw3.png

The “Wow” starts now? Yeah, and the Zune was supposed to release the death grip that iPod had on the MP3 market! All in all, windows Vista is a good O.S., pretty easy to use and visually stunning.

But I’m sorry Bill, the “Wow” started when O.S. X came out. Vista is merely a mock-up. Not that it’s anything bad, but get your timing right next time Microsoft.

Now, where exactly does Vista stand? Windows 95 was a step forward and Windows ME was a step backwards, Vista is in the middle. For now let’s say Vista is a “medium-size stride in the right direction.” says PC World.

How does Windows Vista stack up against the most recent Apple OS?

In the 2005 World Class Awards, Apple’s OS X 10.4, “Tiger”, was named the third best product of the year. Windows XP wasn’t even named. Vista somewhat builds an uncompleted bridge between the operating systems that hail from Redmond and Cupertino. One of the reasons is a new feature on Vista called Gadgets (the Windows form of Widgets) to delicate the 3D effects like a spinning cube for switching users, which Tiger already had.

Leopard, Apple’s newest OS, puts Vista a few step backwards than planned. For instance, Leopard’s Time Machine continuous-backup utility is superior to Vista’s Backup, System Restore and Previous version of data-recovery features.

Do the 3D graphical displays take away from game play? Yes, as a matter of fact, they do. Since these features are built into the OS, the graphics card and processor will always be working on them, even when not being used. This means you may have to buy a more expensive graphics card than you thought you would just to play Halo 2.

The day before Vista was released, Microsoft introduced a service pack for it. This has given many people some rather gloomy views on Vista. Two things could be the reason. Bugs were found before release, and they quickly mopped them up. But this means that they may have missed some. The other view that’s possible is the fact there are no bugs, merely they didn’t finish and there is more to come.

I will upgrade to Vista if and only if they implement OpenGL support. Doing CAD work kinda requires that; otherwise, I'll stick with my trusty XP machine. Or switch to Mac if they support industry standard CAD software.

I really don't like Vista or the idea of it if you haven't guessed.

I'm not upgrading either unless I feel it becomes necessary. Right now Vista means more trouble than anything for me as it would cause some software and harware incompatibilities (no drivers for my printer and my Creative labs sound card). Also I don't have any need for it. Personally I don't really care about all the 3d eye candy and how "cool" my desktop looks.

I will upgrade to Vista if and only if they implement OpenGL support. Doing CAD work kinda requires that; otherwise, I'll stick with my trusty XP machine. Or switch to Mac if they support industry standard CAD software.

I really don't like Vista or the idea of it if you haven't guessed.

Mac supports both CAD and CAM, I have a CAM program and getting a CAD program. Prolly better on Macs, seeing as how their built for that kinda stuff ^^

Mac supports both CAD and CAM, I have a CAM program and getting a CAD program. Prolly better on Macs, seeing as how their built for that kinda stuff ^^

True, but so far SolidWorks is Windows XP only. If it worked on a Mac I'd switch in a heartbeat- they're so much more powerful. I use solidworks for work and school, so learning a different program to use a Mac would be too much effort. The new G5s are crazy powerful though, with a price to match.

Archived